Feedback on my website!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeFeral

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Mods - hope this is ok - I wasn't sure but I noticed a thread some months ago where someone got some great feedback...

Ok folks, I've FINALLY finished (at least up to launchable state, I think) my website for my pettiskirt business, and would love it if anyone could have a look and let me know what they think.
I've kind of done it myself and my tech knowledge is frighteningly basic, so I may not know HOW to change a lot of stuff about it, but at least if you tell me what you think I can put it on my to do list and figure out over time whether the template will allow it.

Ok I'll put my asbestos suit on now, it hasn't really been seen by any 'strangers' yet so I'm hoping it's not  awful and I'll try not to be sensitive!

Here it is

#2 unicorn

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Very pretty. Some lovely items, do you make them?
When I enlarged the photo of the black pettiskirt http://jibadoo.com/index.php?main_page=pro...f1a955ff55597fb  it came up too big for my screen and wouldn't let me scroll, every time I clicked on them they closed again.
So did this one http://jibadoo.com/index.php?main_page=pro...products_id=375

#3 WibbleWobble

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Easy to navigate, especially with the break down of sizes. Makes it easy to find what you are looking for based on size. Could maybe break it down further to tops and bottoms as well. Not such an issue while there is limited stiock, but may become a pain if you have lots of stock to search through to find what you are looking for.

Not keen on the colours, The purple is ok, the pink a bit withy washy. It also means that your business name gets a bit lost. It probably should stand out a bit more, but nothing that a font style and size  change wouldn't fix.

Also do you sell boys clothes. There is a boy in one of the pics on your home page, but I could not find any boys clothes. May be confusing to have a boy in photos if there are no boys clothes.

Good luck with your business.

#4 CallMeFeral

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Thanks folks!
Will look into the pictures issue - the whole pictures thing has been the bane of my existence since starting the site original.gif
No I don't make them, I import - wish I were that skilled! Hope to be doing some of my own designs soon though.

Thanks, will look into the tops/bottoms thing when I get more stock (or try some more complicated filter such that tops and bottoms that match could be together).
Yeah that's my son in the pics - I felt bad leaving him off the site when it was plastered with photos of my daughter! I do have a cute pic of him with a pettiskirt on his head (his choice to pose, not mine!) - but I wasn't sure how it would go down to have that on the site Tounge1.gif

Thanks again!

#5 Awesome101

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

I was looking for pettiskirts years back when my DD was a bit younger. One thing I notice about your website is that in the photos of the girls modelling the skirts they seem to be wearing some of their own clothes, also the boy in one of the photos. IMO, if you are selling clothes you should photos of ONLY your clothes. Accessories and props are ok.

#6 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Only thing I noticed was the inconsistency with clicking on a pic to look closer, they're all different sizes. Some are big pictures which open in a tiny window which needs to be expanded and others are small pics opening in a window too large so you get a lot of background.

I tested in 2 different browsers to make sure it wasn't my browser too.

#7 wallofdodo

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

I would do something to make the heading stand out a bit more. Font size maybe?

Also there is something nqr about the text that starts with 'Welcome to Jidaboo' . Too plain maybe? I am not sure. But I do also realise that will probably change as more things get up and running.

Sorry I didn't try to navigate much as I am at work...

Overall - you have done a good job. No comic sans, or black! Yay.

#8 raven74

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Great effort!  What I will say though is that you need a better quality of photograph for your banner and your items.  A plain background is far better than a busy one, it will show your product far better.
Also, have the tops ironed, it looks a tad unprofessional otherwise (picky, me!)

Love the site colours and ease of navigation.

Edited by raven74, 07 November 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#9 follies

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Looks good. I would slow down the slideshow, it is a little fast and put the navigation buttons in the banner.

ETA I just saw that you live really close to me.

Edited by follies, 07 November 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#10 Coffeegirl

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Can you add some washing instructions?  They look like they need some special care.

The background doesn't do anything for me -too wishy washy.  The skirts remind me of Spanish and Mexican fiestas, so maybe something more vibrant?

#11 Jen the hen

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Love those skirts! I wish I had a little girl to dress in them.

Nice and easy to navigate - but in future it probs won't be so useful being able to navigate by size only. Already you have two different types of clothes - tops and bottoms - what if you add accessories, pants, even boys clothes? Most clothing sites organise by gender and type, then allow filtering by size. Something to think about?

I would also advise changing the colours and design. The skirts are so bright and colourful, why not make the site look similar? With pastel on pastel it's hard to read the name and while your logo is very cute, on mobile it looks like a random squiggle (I think you could just make the outline and antennae thicker). I would go to sites I liked and try to emulate. Pick your favourite skirt colours and use those? With bigger fonts and unpatterned background (designers can make a pattern look cool but for most of us it gives a very amateur cast). Most sites have the name/logo in top left hand corner.

Also agree the product and advertising photos could be more profesh - have you a well-lit white wall to photograph the clothes against? Photos of the kids should also: be close-ups, not include clothes you don't sell, not include boys if you only sell girls stuff, and ideally also be on a plain background.

One back end thing you may want to consider is not forcing people to 'sign up' in order to buy. I know it's common practice to insist people get a username and password but a lot of people are only there once and don't want to go through the rigmarole.

Good luck! Hope advice not too critical.
Jen

#12 whatnamenow

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

In the information section and shipping and handling etc the font is a little small and the background colour combined makes it slightly difficult to read.  Thats my only complaint. Love them and can't wait till my bubby girl is old enough to wear one..

#13 CallMeFeral

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Awesome101 - thanks, will keep that in mind for when I do a proper photoshoot.
InsertAwesome - thanks! Frig those photos are driving me nuts. I'll go through it again and see if I can fix - I truly thought I'd caught them all!
Wallofdodo, Coffeegirl, Jenthehen - thanks! Will have a play with some alternate colour schemes down the track - dream is to hire a proper website designer if it ever actually turns a profit...
Raven (sigh) you're probably right. I've struggled to find a way to photograph the skirts when on their own, but I haven't been able to find a pretty wire dressmaker dummy like I've seen on some sites, and the fabric dummies I don't really like the look of, so the 'washing line' look was the best compromise I could figure out that still gave a good hang for the skirts... however I thought it might look silly against a non-outdoor background. I'll browse the web and see if I can find some alternatives. Haha, and I'll start ironing! If I can remember how wink.gif
Follies - really? Where are you?
Coffeegirl - great idea re washing instructions.
Jenthehen - you're right about when I add product lines. I'll start having a think on how to manage that. I'll also look into the signup thing - I think that might be forced on me by zencart, but I'll google whether it's something I can change.
Charlottesmum - thanks - phew those ones I actually DO know how to fix! original.gif

#14 ~shannon~

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

My first reaction was "where is the name of the business?" I honestly just saw the little worm and wondered where the title was! Of course, it is there, but definitely not standing out enough. Change the font, the size, and even the colour perhaps. I agree with some of the other comments that the colours might not be just right (the pink is wishy washy). I don't mind the slide show and I think it's quite easy to navigate.

Best of luck with your business!

#15 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Thanks! original.gif

#16 eeyorebaby

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

One quick thing have you ever sold them at the prices listed before the saving?  Is it actually a true sale? Limited time or normal prices etc

Not sure on the legalities but do some research on misleading and deceptive conduct....a business shall not in trade or commerce, mislead.... Can't recall the rest lol

If its not an issue legal wise, it would still lose me if you never sold them at the higher price.  I don't think it hurts to say things like don't  pay $50 or more from other suppliers .... and push the affordability etc rather than inflating a retail price to make a normal price look good.

Just something to think  about!  8 )

#17 jenjams

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

I have recently started working with a friend who is a web designer.  The things I have learnt in such a small time is an eyeopener.  I stick to the admin side of things as this technology business bamboozles me!
Well done firstly on doing it yourself.  There is so much involved in the design and integration.
I would be making a bigger deal out of your business name.  Incorporate your logo (catterpillar?) more with the business name.  Make YOU stand out.
I find the font on your information pages small.  That could be my computer!  
I see you are using Zen Cart as your E-Commerce platform.  It's open source so be careful about the security of it.  When you become larger, I would recommend moving to a hosted cart.  It does cost per month but you get better features, security and 24/7 support.

#18 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (eeyorebaby @ 09/11/2012, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One quick thing have you ever sold them at the prices listed before the saving?  Is it actually a true sale? Limited time or normal prices etc

Not sure on the legalities but do some research on misleading and deceptive conduct....a business shall not in trade or commerce, mislead.... Can't recall the rest lol

If its not an issue legal wise, it would still lose me if you never sold them at the higher price.  I don't think it hurts to say things like don't  pay $50 or more from other suppliers .... and push the affordability etc rather than inflating a retail price to make a normal price look good.

Just something to think  about!  8 )

Hmmm it's a good point. I was kind of going on the premise that my normal pettiskirts are $50 but as these are unlabelled sample stock that I got before my labels were done, I'm selling them off for a discount. The 'sale' items are not limited time but they are limited stock because all my stuff from now will be properly labelled.
Because the website has only just gone up and this is my first round of stock, theoretically none of the stock has been sold for any other price though... I'll google around look into whether that's a problem.

Jenjams - thanks for that! Yes I think I need to up all the fonts, and sort out the heading. And thanks for the tips about Zen Cart! Here's hoping I'll be able to afford a proper hosted page some day (AND proper web designed page AND professionally designed logo AND professional photos... not asking for much am I! laughing2.gif)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.