How many presents from you vs Santa?
Also how do you limit how much/many gifts you buy?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 sotnos

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

I have always thought that the kids receiving more from us parents and then less from Santa is the way to go until a friend of mine said she bought 1 gift from herself for her kids and the rest were from Santa.

And how on earth do limit the gifts and think its enough, every Xmas Ive gone out and bought more thinking it wasn't enough, or do you have a $ limit?

#2 Broxie

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Santa brings more here. I think it's just more magical that way.
We don't have a limit. We save all year and get whatever we want for Christmas.

#3 Kwyjibo

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Santa fills the stockings and gives them one big present each under the tree. Also a family present such as a board game or a dvd.

All the rest under the tree is from me/family.

No limit per se. Just whatever I can afford and what I think they will like.

Edited by Kwyjibo, 07 November 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#4 KnightsofNi

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Santa brings the Christmas stockings and one smallish gift (in the past, a train set, tag junior etc).

Mummy and Daddy bring the big present and all the rest. I figure, they should know that Mummy and Daddy work hard and love them, and they give them the most. Not some fictional figure.

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

We are one gift only and it comes from Santa.

Santa still gives me a present (from my folks). I never got Christmas gift from my folks

#6 Funwith3

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

We are a bit strange I think...we do ALL our presents from Santa. My children receive nothing from us, its just how its always been. They've never questioned it.

When I was little it was the same - all my presents were from Santa.

#7 Bel Rowley

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

We don't have any gifts from us. Everything is from Santa. Like IsolaBella it's the way it always was for me growing up and I love it. They'll probably get 5-8 gifts each. I don't need to take credit, our children know we love them and their excitement has nothing to do with whether the gifts come from us or Santa.

#8 CallMeFeral

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

I'll be doing like my parents did - gifts are from parents/family, Santa fills the stocking.
I actually only discovered relatively recently (i.e. since EB) that this wasn't the norm! But I prefer it that way - still the magic of Santa, but the kids know who their big things are from.
And stuff me if I'm going to put in all that effort and let someone else get all the credit... Tounge1.gif

#9 CallMeFeral

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

So not a criticism, but a question... but for those folk that got ALL presents from Santa and none from your parents... did you get Christmas gifts from other family members? And if so, did you wonder why your parents never got you any and other people did?

#10 Ianthe

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

My kids generally get 2 gifts under the tree from parents and siblings which are the more expensive gifts and then they get smaller, cheaper stuff from Santa.

#11 Bel Rowley

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 07/11/2012, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So not a criticism, but a question... but for those folk that got ALL presents from Santa and none from your parents... did you get Christmas gifts from other family members? And if so, did you wonder why your parents never got you any and other people did?

We go presents from aunts, uncles, grandparents etc. But nope, I never wondered why we didn't get presents from my parents. There was so much excitement opening everything from Santa, and we were always incredibly spoiled, there was never any thought that something was missing. I guess by the time I would've wondered about it was probably the age I twigged that Santa was Mum and Dad.

#12 ChunkyChook

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

DD gets one or two things worth about $20 each from me and then Santa goes all out because we cant 'afford' it. He spends about $500 and brings all the cool stuff I wont let her have or cant afford because that's what Santa does and that's what makes him awesome.

#13 Tigerdog

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Mine are 4 and 1 so I just put them all out during the night with no tags at all (however with some special books I write who it's to from Mum, or even for other people who've given them books I'll put an inscription in) as they don't know any different.

When we were kids nearly all came from Santa so I'll probably do the same for my kids when they're older (although the amount of presents will probably reduce as there'll be less stuff that costs more, eg. Nintendos and such).

Good point ChunkyChook, these excuses would take the pressure off you for the rest of the year, I never thought of it that way!

Edited by Tigerdog, 07 November 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#14 casime

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

This is only the first year I've been able to 'play Santa' but the bigger presents are from me, and Santa has filled the stocking.  Admittedly DS will only be 1 this christmas, so won't really know the difference anyway, but I'll do the same thing in the future as that is what my parents did.    I was only allowed to open the stocking when I woke up, and had to wait until the rest of the family arrived to do the tree presents, so the stocking usually had things to keep me amused (and to let my parents have a sleep in) such as some food items, little craft sets, some small gimmicky toys etc.  

I'd love to find a stocking like I used to have though.  It was about 5ft tall!   Might have to convince my crafty relative to sew one up for me.

#15 strawberrycakes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Currently the stats are:

Santa = 7
DH & I = 3

#16 ellebelle

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

One or two presents from Santa and two or three from us. Total spend around $200.

#17 Ianthe

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

If only the election was so simple to call wink.gif

#18 EssentialBludger

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Santa only brings whatever can fit in the stocking. So only little things here. original.gif

Main/Big presents are always from us.

#19 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

1 each and one larger joint present from Santa the rest from us.  I don't like Santa taking all the credit lol

#20 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Santa usually brings something really wanted, but not particularly expensive - last year he bought a My Little Pony playset, this year he's bringing a couple of dinosaurs.

Major presents are from us - this year it's a bike.

ETA:  No particular budget, just whatever we can afford at the time.  I'd typically rather buy a big ticket item (e.g. ipod, train table, trampoline, etc), than spend a similar amount on lots of smaller things.

Edited by SlinkyMalinki, 07 November 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#21 EssentialBludger

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Genuine question, those that do ALL presents from Santa, what happens if one year you can't afford it? This is why we only do little things from Santa. If we are broke one year, there'll be no "But Santa bought us more every other year!".

#22 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

As a Santa hater, there will be one present (if the ratbags are lucky) and it will be from us. And it won't be big either. They get enough from grandparents, aunts/uncles and our best friends to more than make them happy.

#23 BadCat

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

We never label who it's from so it never mattered what was Santa and what wasn't.

Also, it's christmas.  There are no limits.  tthumbs.gif  

Actually I just buy whatever I think they'll like.  They're picky so it doesn't amount to many presents usually, just a lot of dollars.  laughing2.gif

#24 livvie7586

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

santa here brings 1 thing each, usually something wanted but not overly expensive.

Santa has so many presents to deliver in one night, how could the sleigh carry them all if each child got more than one?

#25 sotnos

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (MsN @ 07/11/2012, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a Santa hater, there will be one present (if the ratbags are lucky) and it will be from us. And it won't be big either. They get enough from grandparents, aunts/uncles and our best friends to more than make them happy.

Funny thing about the grandparents/aunts here is that they feel the kids have way too much as it is and don't ever go all out for them, friggen scrooges, maybe that's why i go a bit overboard original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.