First time flying with kids, first time freaking out!
Reassurance and tips please lol

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CappucinoGirl

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

Ok so as is the norm for me I am likely stressing unnecessarily but humour me...

We are taking our three girls on their first interstate holiday on Tuesday and I am freaking out about it!
They are 11, 7 and 3. We are only going from Hobart to the Gold Coast so just 3hrs I think but I'm really worried about their ears, mainly the smaller two and just if they turn out to be nervous flyers in general.

I'm fine with flying myself, never been nervous or anxious really, but I am struggling with the idea of taking my kids on a plane and telling them it's all fine and then imagining the plane going down, at least when we've flown before the kids have been safe on terra firma lol
I know I'm being silly but I can't shake the uneasy feeling of putting us all in the sky blush.gif

Just wondered if anyone else had similar misgivings who might put my mind at ease, and also any tips from those who's kids do have trouble flying, I'd like to be prepared for the worst case scenario, TIA original.gif

Edited by CappucinoGirl, 08 November 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#2 CupOfCoffee

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

I am taking my 3 (almost 4) year old on her first flight in January and I am also nervous.  My ears are terrible when I fly (around 80% of the time I will have pain when flying) so I am nervous for her.

I am planning on bringing lots of her favourite treats, Ipad, favourite soft toys and maybe a surprise for her to unwrap (so she is keen to get into the air to get the present).

#3 amabanana

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

You can get little plastic things to put in their ears that help equalize the pressure. Chewing and sucking on lollies or gum helps too.

In terms of anxiety, I hear you!  I have flown around the world several times and used to fly every week for work and think nothing of it.  I've clocked up hundreds of flights without incidence.  Since having kids though I find flying really stressful and I worry constantly about crashing. So much so that I am thinking of talking to my Dr about it.   I know that doesn't help you but I want you to know you're not the only one!

#4 RedBob

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Bring something chewy for their ears and get practising on the holding your nose and blowing hard. In terms of the flight itself, just bring something that you know will entertain them, be it a book, toy, ipod or ipad, or family game. It's only three hours, so even if they're appalling fliers (and I'm sure they won't be) it's not like a 12-14 hour flight to Asia or the Middle East.  

And remember, your behaviour will determine whether they are nervous fliers or not. If they sense that you are anxious, it will communicate to them. If you can get to the doctor or chemist and see if they can recommend something that will help you calm down, it will proably help everyone.

Enjoy your trip  original.gif

#5 *LucyE*

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Be organized and you'll be fine original.gif

Re ears - at those ages, they are old enough to either eat, drink or chew to help 'pop' their ears.  Keep water bottles handy in your carry on luggage so you don't have to wait for the staff (probably have to buy it in the airport past security).  Pack some chewy snacks (dried fruit or lollies).  Don't let them start on them until the plane has actually taken off.  You don't want them guzzling it all while waiting on the runway, to then be busting for the toilet as you are ascending.

Then there's the onboard entertainment which will be a bit of a novelty to play and fiddle with.  Then you'll have your own stuff such as electronic gizmos, books, magazines, colouring in etc.  Then the drinks and food trolley will go past which will be a novelty too.  A trip to the toilet and little walk around the plane and it will probably be time for the plane to start descent.

Keep a watch out for when the plane starts to descend and get them to start chewing/swallowing.  

As for the worry about all of you in the sky?  I do my worrying when I'm planning.  Once we board, I let that go because there is nothing I can do and I try not to waste energy on pointless worry.

#6 Peanut

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

We found chewy lollies like Fruit Tingles (but the tiny ones that I just can't remember the name of) helped with my DS's ears.  We only brought them out at the times we were ascending and descending, which is when his ears hurt the most.  He was concentrating on getting the lolly out of the packet and then crunching on it while working on the next, so his attention was diverted and the chewing helped his ears pop.  I know, lollies = sugar, but it was worth it and funnily enough, he didn't have a sugar high.  Maybe the bottle of water helped?

I had many sleepless nights worrying over us flying and numerable able other "disasters" before we left for America this year, but it all turned out for nothing.  Wish I hadn't worried so much, but you can't help that.  As a pp said, try not to let your worry communicate to the kids and once you are on the plane you will find that you will actually relax and so will they.

#7 2bundles

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

If you have reason to think their ears could be bad, give Dimetapp before you go.

You can take water through security on domestic flights.

I agree with the pp who said they will sense how you are feeling.

They are safer in the sky than on the road, so keep that in your head. Make it the exciting start to an an exciting trip. When I was a kid I looked forward to the flight as much as the holiday!!

#8 IsolaBella

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

Never had any of my children complain over their ears.... That includes flying with 3 yo 24hrs after being diagnosed with ear infection.

Eating/drinking will help if it is an issue. A friend uses lollipops.

As PP said your children should be excited not nervous flying. Nerves they will pick up off you. It is possible for you to disguise your nerves.... I did not find out my mum hates flying until my mid 20's.....this was having grown up flying overseas at least once a year from birth to 20 yrs with her.

Flying is safer then being in your car.

If your kids get fractious and you can't settle them remember it is only three hours. Out of many flights with my three young kids it was only one flight where I was ready to dump my kids at the end of the flight - we did EU and back twice last year. The worst flight though was only an hour flight.

#9 adl

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

I agree with PP... one thing... dont load them up on treats and sugar, juice before you get on the plane,  they are excited anyway,  adding sugary stuff just adds to over hyped kids... x.  A good night sleep... and a relaxed parent as( as much as possible) well!

I have travelled with my DS since 3wks old,  now at 2.5 is harder and soon we will add another in,  I find the noise of the engines puts him to sleep after about an hour  -1.5hr  of playing

Preparation is key,  from talking about it,  they are old enough to know they have to sit in their seats and be mindful of other people around them, no kicking or pulling the seats in front!!

ask them what favourite things they want to take,  let them be involved too in packing their bags

and it will be all new and fascinating for them as well,  that will keep them busy.    have wet wipes,  water bottles on hand as well.    

but the entertainment on the new planes is great,  they can choose their own shows or games to watch...

I know one mum that sang old macdonald for 9 hours to her 2.5yo....

Aim to get to the airport early so no rushing and lessen anxiety with check in etc....

Take advantage of boarding first with small kids so you can get on and settled,  tuck your bits in the seat pockets etc..

and above all have a wonderful holiday!

#10 kpingitquiet

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:47 AM

We took our then-15mo from Adelaide to San Fran to DC to LA to Adelaide again hehe. For ears, we made sure she had a food pouch or drink that required sucking (for older kids, yogurt pouch or sports bottle of water could do that, or even just chewing gum). On-board entertainment helps too biggrin.gif it's a nice distraction from all the plane noise. Ours got very very sick on one leg of the trip. It wasn't because of the plane, rather she (then we) caught a bug that led to her spewing all over us on one cross-country flight, so I do recommend full changes of clothes for everyone, in the carry-on, just in case someone gets airsick because EGADS that was not fun. Other than that, a plane is safer than a car. It's a 3hr trip. You'll be just fine and so will they.

#11 Frau Farbissina

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

I've travelled with my kids from baby to 5 years of age. By far from 3 up, is so, so easy compared to toddler age, when they do NOT want to sit when they have to, do NOT want to put on seat belt etc. I had chewy lollies that I knew they'd like for their ears (and also for bribes in general   wink.gif  ) We had a portable DVD player which they both like to watch and also some books to read.

Hope it works out well for you and have a great trip!

#12 Natttmumm

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

We have taken our DDs ages 5 and 3 on a short trip.
Have to admit it made me nervous and uneasy the whole time which has never happened to me flying before. I did take the iPad, lollies, drawing things and their teddies othe plane. They were fine and didn't notice I was a bit anxious.
All will be fine.

#13 Foogle

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

DS suffers terribly on descent and no amount of chewing lollies helps. I used to think he would grow out of it but it hasn't got any better over the years.

So when we flew to the States last year I purchased these: EARPLANES.  You insert them prior to descent.  They worked brilliantly - can't recommend them enough. We have a happy traveller now on flights. original.gif

#14 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

I found that it really wasnt as bad as I expected it to be. We let our kids have chewing gum for take off and landing and in between if they want, its a rare treat for them, so they loved that.

We also hired the Ipads (Jetstar) that were available. One played games and the other watched a movie and the movies were ones that had just finished in the cinema but not available to DVD for a couple of months.

I found it was hard work keeping the youngest happy sitting on out laps and having a seat for her would have been much better.

I think that it never turns out as bad as you imagine it will, which is always a pleasant surprise.

#15 liveworkplay

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

travelled with my kids from the time they were 3mths old. they still get a little nervous flying but overall love it. I would have some lollypops handy God the 3 yr old to sick.to help with ears. your other kids should be fine. I just tell mine to "yawn" if their ears.feel funny.

I too have travelled the world and been on some. dodgy airlines (Air Bolivia anyone?) but since I've had kids I get quite nervous flying. I really have to consciously make myself relax. I think it is a natural reaction of parents.

#16 CappucinoGirl

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

Wow, so many replies! Thanks ladies I feel much better after reading about all the successful flights you've all had!

All my kids are pretty easy going so they probably will be fine, and excited about the actual being in the air. I will be fine too lol I'm good at not letting worry show to the kids, I think all us mums are  cool.gif  They think me and DP are nothing but excited, which we pretty much are, with a side of holiday planning stress lol

Someone mentioned Earplanes, I was thinking of having those on hand just in case for our youngest who seems to have sensitive ears (she always complains at loud noises like motorbikes, music if its turned up a bit and loud parts at the cinema etc, but Drs can't find a problem and say it's just her) I have warned her the plane will be loud at take off.  I now have lots of tips for snacks for her, the yoghurt pouch is a good idea, I'll grab some of those and something chewy original.gif

We have an iPad and DD1 has her iPod so between that, books and colouring packs they (hopefully) will be entertained.

Thank you again for replying, I do feel less crazy now which is nice  happy.gif

Edited by CappucinoGirl, 10 November 2012 - 06:47 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.