Tap water vs mineral water...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Funwith3

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

What's best/better/worse?

Is tap water better for you than plain mineral water? Or are they much the same? Does plain mineral water go towards your count for 8 glasses a day?

Or am I delusional? Is there anything "no good" in plain mineral water? unsure.gif

#2 YandiGirl

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

There's a tiny bit of sodium in it, but that's about it really. I prefer 'bubbles' than flat water, so I drink it most of the time.

#3 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

I think some people are of the opinion that bottled mineral water is better. For the environmental impact alone I think bottled water is the root of everything that is wrong with our society!

Tap water is fine.

#4 N@K

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Any water you drink goes towards the "8 glasses" thing, regardless of tap, bottle, mineral etc.

It's the minerals in the mineral water that make it better / worse than tap water.
I only say "worse" as some people who drink HEAPS of mineral water with VERY high mineral content can take on too many minerals and can cause kidney problems. I've only heard of this very randomly, so not a regular occurrence from what I understand.

I'm with YandiGirl and prefer sparkling mineral water and love the Mt Franklin one which is just Mt Franklin with bubbles, so doesn't have the high mineral content like other mineral waters. (Which is purely a flavour thing for me, I am not a fan of the taste of the more minerally waters  biggrin.gif )

#5 gabbigirl

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Tap water is absolutely fine, the bottled water companies have done a great marketing job.  Oh, and btw 8 glasses a day is a myth...I've read it in a few places but here,s one link.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/diet-an...0606-1zux3.html

#6 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (gabbigirl @ 08/11/2012, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tap water is absolutely fine, the bottled water companies have done a great marketing job.  Oh, and btw 8 glasses a day is a myth...I've read it in a few places but here,s one link.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/diet-an...0606-1zux3.html

agree, majority of my family have been drinking plain tap water for years and all lived a long healthy life!

8 glasses is overkill according to my doctors.

#7 FeralBob!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

gabbigirl is on the money there  original.gif There is no need generally for bottled water, although there are some places (London springs to mind) where the tap water tastes vile, so  people drink bottled water more.

#8 Chaos in stereo

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Isn't there also the issue of fluoridation in the water to consider? ie: if you only drink bottled water you are missing the (good) mineralisation that comes from tap water, and potential dental issues later?

#9 PurpleNess

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Bottled still water is the biggest marketing success/brainwashing idea of the 21st century. Totally unnecessary & destroying our environment.

As for the content Mineral water does have sodium & other minerals in it so I wouldn't be drinking lots of it, tap water is fine.

If you wanted filtered water at home, invest in a filter tap :-)

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

The water where we live (metro Perth) sometimes tastes awful, so we filter it all the time, and we have a soda stream to add bubbles to the filtered water (we don't even buy flavours, just bubbles).

Even when we lived in a remote area with untreated tap water, we just filtered it.  We went through a lot more filters though!

R

#11 Funwith3

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

I really just feel quite a lot posher when I drink "sparkling water" as the waiters like to call it. So I was hoping it counts as GOOD water  biggrin.gif

#12 Perlissima_8

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (Livsh @ 08/11/2012, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think some people are of the opinion that bottled mineral water is better. For the environmental impact alone I think bottled water is the root of everything that is wrong with our society!

Tap water is fine.

I can't agree more Livsh. Well said.

#13 Perlissima_8

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (Livsh @ 08/11/2012, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tap water is fine.

I can't agree more Livsh. Well said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.