If you use a water filter, why?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 WinterIsComing

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

A few times I was taken aback by friends' reaction to my offering a glass of tap water. They went: "Ummm...no filtered water? You guys don't have a filter?"

Seriously, do many people filter drinking water now? If you do, why? What filter do you use? Any recommendations?

And what about fluoride, do you worry about dental health? (I heard missing out on fluoride due to widespread consumption of bottled water is causing a rise of dental problems)...

#2 emlis22

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

I had a bobble drink bottle for a while. But I think I just thought I was hip. I have no problem with tap water.

#3 rosie28

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

We have a ceramic filter, and we use it because the water tastes so much better - it gets rid of everything except fluoride apparently, and we don't need anything except that!

#4 CountryFeral

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

I get a telemarketer calling me at least once a month with an 'amazing offer' for a water filter, they are very persistent so I imagine a lot of people have one because of that!

I grew up on unfluoridated water and have the mouthful of fillings to prove it!  I haven't had a single one in nearly 30 years... this coincides with our move to a town with treated water...

Friend of mine who don't get decent (aka clean) water at their country property actually fill their drinking water butts (it is a REAL word people stop sniggering!) at their FIL's place in town so that they get the fluoride...

One of them also grew up on clean clear unadulterated tank water...

I think the fluoride fear is a scam.

But it is a scam people are very attached to... and it is their choice, their faux science - so I let them go if it is making them happy. (it isn't my teeth)

Edited by countrymel, 08 November 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#5 heffalumpsnwoozles

We do it for the taste. Our tap water tastes a bit chemically. We use a Brita filter jug. I read up on it and it does not filter fluoride so no worries there. I have no qualms about drinking tap water though and would never comment if someone offered it. In fact I often just drink tap water myself when I'm too lazy to open the fridge and get the jug out. blush.gif

#6 mumto3princesses

We think water tastes nicer when its filtered. We will still rink tap water though. We just have a brita jug which doesn't remove the fluoride.

#7 Krunchie29

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (mumto3princesses @ 08/11/2012, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We think water tastes nicer when its filtered. We will still rink tap water though. We just have a brita jug which doesn't remove the fluoride.

same

#8 livvie7586

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'm allergic to chlorine, without filtered water i'm covered in eczema.  filtered water means i don't look like a scaly monster from the back of beyond, and after 20 odd years of only drinking filtered or bottled water straight tap water tastes like cr*p

#9 scarlettsmummy

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

We live in central western NSW and our water is putrid at times, I have been in the shower for the water to run red brown, and had to jump out with fright.  Running baths for my eldest DD has been hit and miss in regards to the water.  So we use a water filter just to have clear water that doesn't taste like rust and dirt sad.gif

#10 blackcat20

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

I use a Brita filter jug too, just because our water was a little dirty at one point. Now its just nice to have the jug of water chilled in the fridge. You still get your fluoride.

#11 lclb

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

I have a Brita filter that fits on the tap in our kitchen. We just like the taste of filtered water better.

We used to buy bottled water but it became far too expensive and there was a lot of waste associated with it too.

#12 HeroOfCanton

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

I hate the taste of filtered water, so just drink straight from the tap. MIL thinks I'm going to get cancer or something  wacko.gif

#13 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

I can't taste the difference between our current tap water and filtered water.

There was a time I only drank bottled water and then I couldn't afford it anymore so I weaned myself onto cooled, boiled water from the kettle and then onto tap water. Before this I would never ever have drank tap water because it tasted rank.

#14 Bunsen the feral

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Our water comes through a pretty crappy old pipe that we can't replace so we have a filter on the kitchen tap. I was under the impression it didn't filter out fluoride - I certainly hope not anyway!

#15 Lees75

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

I live in Adelaide....

#16 PrincessPeach

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

We have a filter on our tap at work, only because the water here is very chemical tasting.

As for the fluoride issue, I'd be very interested in the other statistics for these kids with bad dental health, like thier diet, do they clean their teeth daily & how often they go to the dentist. I grew up with un-fluoridated water & have no fillings at all, we did however get taken to the dentists annually & get the fluoride treatment done there.

Edited because I forgot to add:

I too didn't think filtering removed fluoride anyway. However a lot do remove chlorine! I think it was only bottled water with no fluoride.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 08 November 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#17 CCLady

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Our tap water is rank (central west NSW). Tastes like the local pool.

We have a filter thingo that attaches to the tap. We drink so much water in this house!

#18 Ianthe

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

We have a filter directly fitted to our tap. It's been here for the 10 years we've been in the house. It tastes so much better than tap water.

#19 wilding

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Our water's pretty manky, so use the bobble jug from woolworths. My bottle was from the USA though before it became available here.

#20 Mrs Lost Wanderer

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (Lees75 @ 08/11/2012, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I live in Adelaide....

Snap!!!! We had one when we lived in Adelaide. No more needs to be said.

#21 Guest_- Poppy -_*

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Depends on where you live.

Up north the water is feral! karratha water urgh!!!

It tastes awful and gives lots of people the trots. I used one of those neverfail water bottles. Was great in cyclones - never ran out of water!!

Where I live now the water is very nice, no filter needed.

#22 Allie_D

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

I hadn't thought of the fluoride issue!  We grew up drinking tank water and I have had ridiculous issues with my teeth!  Never even thought of the fact it could have been from drinking tank water!!  We were taken to the dentist every 6 months without fail and always cleaned our teeth regularly so it wasn't from poor oral hygiene, but without fail every time I went to the dentist I needed a filling!

Anyways back to the topic!  We are on tank water here and I drink that filtered through the fridge (it has a brita filter).  Apart from that I won't drink tap water because I get an upset stomach.  Even when I go to my parents I take a bottle of water now.  I can't stand the taste of tap water either.

#23 VioletRose

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

If we are living somewhere that the tap water is unpalatable then I use a filter on the tap. Where we are atm there is no problem drinking the water straight from the tap.

#24 Feral timtam

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

I carry Brita water bottles wherever I go simply because some of our friends have ancient pipes that make their tap water taste really feral. The filter gets rid of whatever it is that makes their water so bad, and some of that water is so gross it is nearly vomit worthy.

#25 .Jerry.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I can't drink water straight from the tap for psychological reasons.

I used to live (late 90s into mid 00s) in a rural area where I just had tank water only - no mains supply.  Our water started to be a bit smelly and got worse, until I was nearly gagging in the shower.  When workmen came to check out our tanks (they were very high up) they found a veritable frog soup.  It was full of many frogs in various states of decomposition.  Explains the smell.
  They had to drain the tank, clean it and refill it.  (It was a house supplied by work)

SInce then I cannot drink water from the tap.  I can use it if boiled or filtered.  I have a ceramic filter on my bench top.  The water tastes great! original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.