Glass fridge shelf just shattered!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nani*smumma

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

When we moved house 2 months ago we realised our old fridge didnt fit in the allocated spot (cupboards too low) so we reluctantly brought a new fridge. Old fridge was 6 years old, had plastic sheves and never had any issues.

Today when dh got home from work, he went to get a drink out of fridge and there was a shelf completely shattered in what seemed like a million pieces! We were completely shocked! All seemed normal earlier when i got dinner out of the fridge, and the only things on the shelf was a carton of eggs, some butter and a few cans of coke. We have a 3 year old and 4 year old but they were with me all arvo (not that they could of done anything, except maybe slam the fridge shut).

So has this happened to anyone before? Am i likely to get it covered under warranty as it is only 2 months old? Could it be faulty manufacturing or do we just accept it was somehow our fault?!

#2 April girl

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Doesn't sound like it was your fault. Ring the shop tomorrow and ask THEM to explain to you why it happened. I think you would be entitled to a new shelf at the very least.

#3 miajas

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

I once had the glass of an oven door literally explode just as I turned away from it, scared the crap out of me and we had only just purchased and installed, it was definitely covered under warranty and we were told that it happens quite often.

It should be covered under warranty and they will probably just replace the shelf.

#4 Coffeegirl

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

A good friend of ours had this happen to Every. Single. Shelf in her Samsung fridge.    They only bought the Samsung because it fit in the spot.   Samsung just kept replacing them

#5 nani*smumma

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

The new fridge is a westinghouse and we only had a choice of 2 that would fit.
So annoying as it took a lot to clean up and now im worried its going to happen again sad.gif

#6 aprilrain

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

I have a F &P fridge only with glass shelves had it for several years and I occassionally put hot dishes on a folded teatowel on them too. Probably also overloaded. Never a problem.

If they won't replace or try to charge you and it is a fairly common manufacturer, your local backyard whitegoods repair man probably has a shed full of fridge shelves. Mine has.

#7 Let_it_Rain

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

I previously worked in warranty for a company that has been named by a PP  closedeyes.gif

We regularly did shelf replacements. If you have no luck with the shop, try calling the manufacturer directly (obviously depends on the company) and they should be able to sort it out for you.

#8 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

This happened to a friend of mine the other night.  Just a random fridge shelf shattering for no reason.

#9 Tobias'smum

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

it happened so often for a friend that they gave her 4 extra shelves so they wouldn't have to come out all the time

#10 Feral Alpacas

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

Oh bugger, we are about to buy a new fridge. The brand has been mentioned by a PP, but it is the only fridge we like the look of that will fit in our fridge space.

#11 Guest_zeus359_*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Are you talking about the shelves on the doors? If so, we have a samsung and lost all the shelves on the doors, and the bit that covers the fruit and vege bin. Also the 2 shelves in the freezer. None of those were glass though just plastic, the heavier safety glass shelves are still intact.  Drink fridge now.

We bought another Samsung (because it was the best we could afford in our price range) side by side fridge freezer, and its been fine. The door shelves are made of hardier plastic, and the shelves are made of safety glass.

#12 livvie7586

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (lovealpacas @ 09/11/2012, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh bugger, we are about to buy a new fridge. The brand has been mentioned by a PP, but it is the only fridge we like the look of that will fit in our fridge space.

as in the brand mentioned by the 4th PP?  if so ours is 2.5 years old and mum and dad's is 6 y/o, and they haven't had an issue (actually the majority of the appliances in our house are the same brand, and haven't had an issue)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.