Tonsilitis with rash?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lozoodle

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

Disclaimer - I'm not after medical advice, I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this.

DD1 has been unwell for two days, fevery and complaining of a sore throat. I took her to the GP yesterday who confirmed her glands are very swollen and tonsils were huge and had pus on them, so he's prescribed her amoxycillin for it which she has had 2 doses of so far.

She's also started to get a rash, it came up before the medication started so I know its not a reaction to that, but I'm a little concerned. He pointed it out to me and said to keep an eye on it and make sure it blanches when light pressure is applied (which it does). Its very blotchy and strange though, her face around her cheeks etc looks almost sunburnt, different from usual flushing with a fever. She has a pin prick rash all over the place, and random clusters where its really red.

I was thinking generic viral rash but its really quite itchy so it seems, and she has streaky sections, like in her armpits, one on her back, one on her leg, and the rest is bumpy and sandpapery. She's still a bit fevery also but only mild in the high 37s / low 38s and it comes down with panadol.

Has anyone experienced this with tonsilitis? I had a google and part of me makes me wonder if its scarlet fever, but I have no idea?

I think I might take her back to the GP this afternoon given its spread a bit, but I'm not sure if that would be wasting his time a bit.

Its on her neck, cheeks (but face just look more sunburnt than anything, its not around her mouth though), upper arms, thighs, random pimply spots on her leg, a generic lookign rash on chesh and upper back as well as some real red itchy streaky patches.

#2 Guest_~Songbird~_*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

Have a read of this article, sounds like it may be scarlet fever. I would take her back to the doctors today for a check up.

http://www.childhealth.com.au/Infections/t...Tonsillitis.asp

Edited by ~Songbird~, 09 November 2012 - 08:16 AM.

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

I would take her back. Her symptoms have got worse and changed since he saw her so it is best to be sure.

Has she had Amoxil before? I know you said that the rash started beforehand but perhaps it was a non specific viral rash then but a reaction to Amoxil now?

Hope she is better soon.

#4 Ianthe

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Poor Chloe sad.gif

#5 lozoodle

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

Yep she's had Amoxil before with no dramas, she's also had hives before from other things and it sort of looks like hives but isn't.

I'm at work today but I was just on the phone to mum who said it seems to be clearing a bit and she's happy and playing and running around at the moment so I'm thinking it can't be too serious.

She's going to keep me posted and I will take her to the GP after work today at 3pm depending on how she is after her nap.

He said to me that a rash can hang around for quite a few days, but the main cocnern was that it blanches or not.

In terms of her other symptoms she seems to be improving - fever seems to have gone, she's eating a little bit (not much, but undestandable with a sore throat) and more energy etc. No longer just sitting around being miserable, but up and playing. So that's good at least.

#6 lozoodle

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

I just read that link, that really does sound like her in terms of sandpapery etc, and also the mention of abdominal pain as she did say she had a tummy ache last night, but was still happy to eat a bit of dinner.

When I say its worsened, I meant it looked a lot brigther this morning, but I do think that could also be due to having been in bed where its warm and aggravated.

So we'll see how she goes, thanks for the replies. I will definitely be heading back to the GP if I am concerned this afternoon original.gif

#7 lozoodle

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Also, not sure if tonsilitis is contagious or not but when I told the director she wouldn't be there today she said there had been a few kids there with it this week, including her own son. So she's had direct exposure, but I have no idea if that's how it works with tonsilitis etc as we've never had it in our house before.

DD2 is fine, no symptoms at all (but I'm watching her closely because she's a febrile convulsion kid)

#8 emnut

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

before getting my tonsils out I used to get a similar sounding rash with it & did also get stomach pains.  There is both bacterial and viral forms of tonsillitis - from memory the bacterial tonsilitis is contagious for about 48 hours after starting antibiotics & viral for about 10 days or so.

#9 Mocha Coffee

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

It could be glandular fever.  I have just gone through this with my daughter.  Glandular fever produces a nasty throat so people think it is tonsilitis BUT if you take the antibiotics you get a rash!

My daughter is only 7.

#10 Mocha Coffee

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Oh sorry.  Just saw the rash came up before the antibiotics!

#11 Therese

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

I would take her back to your GP too. I hope she feels better soon.

#12 lozoodle

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for glandular fever tip, will keep an eye out on it original.gif

If she's not improving I'll definitely take her back today, or perhaps even tomorrow so the antibiotics have 24 hours to really kick in, but so far it sounds like she's feeling a lot better.

Yep she was definitely getting the rash before she commenced antibiotics, its just got a bit brigther since (but like I said, she had just woken up and was warm from being in bed so that tends to make rashes look a bit brighter).

#13 Soontobegran

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Sounds promising. If she is feeling better already and the redness is clearing then it was probably one of those silly non specific rashes.

#14 lozoodle

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 09/11/2012, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds promising. If she is feeling better already and the redness is clearing then it was probably one of those silly non specific rashes.

That is definitely what I am thinking, though I will of course keep a close eye on her.

Thanks everyone for your replies, they've been helpful original.gif

#15 HollyDocker

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

My 9yo DS currently has scarlet fever - really sore throat, but nothing to see (not overly red or swollen, no pus on tonsils etc), really high fever (40.5), no appetite, totally wiped out... The doctor couldn't work out what was wrong with him until he got both the body rash, and a white strawberry tongue - the tongue goes white, but with inflamed, red papillae, which gives it a characteristic strawberry skin look. His face was also red, but with a white patch around his mouth. He has been on antibiotics since Tuesday, and is STILL in bed, but slowly slowly getting better. If your DD has been better (no fever etc) since the rash came out, it's probably not scarlet fever, but even if it is, if she is already on amoxicillin then that is the treatment anyway! do see a doctor to confirm though, it's not a condition to muck around with.

#16 lozoodle

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Schnitzelvonkrumb @ 09/11/2012, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 9yo DS currently has scarlet fever - really sore throat, but nothing to see (not overly red or swollen, no pus on tonsils etc), really high fever (40.5), no appetite, totally wiped out... The doctor couldn't work out what was wrong with him until he got both the body rash, and a white strawberry tongue - the tongue goes white, but with inflamed, red papillae, which gives it a characteristic strawberry skin look. His face was also red, but with a white patch around his mouth. He has been on antibiotics since Tuesday, and is STILL in bed, but slowly slowly getting better. If your DD has been better (no fever etc) since the rash came out, it's probably not scarlet fever, but even if it is, if she is already on amoxicillin then that is the treatment anyway! do see a doctor to confirm though, it's not a condition to muck around with.

Oh I hope your DS gets better, that sounds nasty!

I will definitely see the GP again if she isn't continuing to improve. She had definite pus (and lots of it) on her tonsils though, and her fevers are more mild around the 38 mark, plus is up and about a lot.

We saw the GP at 5pm yesterday, so its not been long yet anyway, another visit tomorrow morning is on the cards without a doubt if things aren't better. He also said if the rash doesnt blanch or seems to "pool" around areas where there is pressure (such as where undies dig into skin) its straight to hospital to rule out meningococcal but also followed up with he didn't think it was that, given the other symptoms she has. But he is alway very thorough and likes to make sure all bases are covered.

#17 Feral Becky

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Amoxil is pretty freakin useless really. It has been so overused as to be almost homeopathic.

#18 HollyDocker

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

LOL, i hope he gets better soon - he is a man-flu candidate in training, a terrible patient! Sounds like your GP is really thorough, which is great - it can be hard to find a good one. Before we worked out what he had, my doctor frightened me with meningitis talk at about 10pm - I hardly slept a wink, kept creeping into his room and peering under the quilt with a torch  laugh.gif

#19 lozoodle

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Schnitzelvonkrumb @ 09/11/2012, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL, i hope he gets better soon - he is a man-flu candidate in training, a terrible patient! Sounds like your GP is really thorough, which is great - it can be hard to find a good one. Before we worked out what he had, my doctor frightened me with meningitis talk at about 10pm - I hardly slept a wink, kept creeping into his room and peering under the quilt with a torch  laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

Better to be thorough and freak you out, though!

I do like my GP, he's very thorough and always very kind and doesn't make you feel stupid for asking a million questions about things.

#20 IsolaBella

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

DH was sore throat and no fever... Got red rash and bingo Scarlett fever.

I got the strep throat really badly from him but not the Scarlett fever. I had the 40+ fever and felt dead. DH wanted to go to work.

#21 lozoodle

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

Just thought I would update. We are home now and DD2 seems much better. She had a 3 hour sleep today, and her rash has gone right down, the redness in her face is nearly all gone, and the big blotchy itchy areas have faded. Shes left with a mild generic looking rash that she gets every time she has a fever.

I think she coincidentally may have had a case of hives as she was somewhere yesterday that she had been on the two previous occasions she has had hives, and the rate at which they appeared and then disappeared, reappeared elsewhere, then disappeared etc is consistent with her when she has hives so possibly there is something environmental in the yard there that she has reacted to.

Still has a sore throat, but seems much more herself and is on the mend original.gif

#22 Therese

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'm glad she is getting better original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.