Loan insurance through bank

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lazno

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Do you have insurance on your home loan through the bank?
We have insurance to cover death and loss of job etc. but it's costing a small fortune every month as we have our home loan and a personal loan split so 4 loans and 4 lots of insurance all up
We have a death benefit through superannuation that would cover the loans if one of us died. Do we still need the insurance for each individual loan?
Is it better to just get an income/ death insurance through a separate company that will cover all loans in one payment?
Thanks

#2 kjdean1988

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

I advise you to keep it. My parents had insurance on their homeloan and cancelled it because they thought they were paying so much money for nothing. Two months after they cancelled it My dad went to the doctor and was diagnosed with terminal liver cancer. When he passed all my mum had was the separate life insurance. Which wasn't enough to set her up till retirement. When this happened my parents were mid 50's. Ever since I've made sure to have loan and income protection insurance. Just because unfortunately you never know what's around the next corner.

Perhaps you could ring and ask for a discount on the insurance. Im wit NAB and thought id give it a go. Due to having my home loan, car loan and credit card insurance all with them they gave me a 15% discount on each policy. Worth asking i think

#3 DK3000

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Also, I think the premiums you pay are tax deductible?

But it's always worth shopping around and comparing cover vs prices....

#4 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Depends what it covers, and in the end what risk you want to bear and how much you want to pay to cover it is up to you. Being underinsured can end badly, being overinsured can cost you a lot of money over your lifetime and end up never being needed.
It also depends on what the terms are that the loan insurance would pay out on, vs your life/income protection insurance.

For me personally, I would do life and income protection insurance and skip the loan insurance, unless the loan insurance was significantly cheaper or covered more situations. Mainly because the life/income protection insurance a) covers you in general regardless of how much is left on your loan, and you can factor the loan amount into it, and b) I  believe that it's beneficial to get adequate life insurance while you are young and healthy because it becomes hard to get into if/when you are diagnosed with illnesses, so it's more of a long term plan than a short term duration of the loan thing. Obviously this only holds if the life/income protection insurance IS high enough to allow for paying back the loan.
I think of loan insurance as something that really protects the bank more than it does you.

But like I said, that depends on the costs and the terms of it - only you can decide.

#5 MrsLexiK

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

You could get another policy which is the lump sum of all 4 loans (there are normally large sum discounts built into policies.  EG: $250K may cost $40 a month but $500K may only cost $60 a month)  

We didn't need insurance as our loan did not put us into the "must need" category.  We did get it though as I think it is stupid to not have it (but I work in insurance) For each of us there is enough to pay out debt and have some left over, we could then either buy an investmant outright (so get rental income) or we could just live off x amount.  

You will not find insurance outside of the bank that will cover loss of job for reasons other then sickness or injury (from my experience).  I have this on my CC cards and had it on my personal loan when I was single and before I actually had life insurance or Trauma insurance or income protection.  We choose not to take this out with our mortgage BUT we can put our mortgage on hold due to loss of employment.

You would have to talk to your bank about whether you would be able to cancel the Life isnurance part but keep the loss of income part.  (Also investigate whether or not it is for loss of your job through anything other then sickness or injury)

If you cancel the life insurance you may have to provide a certificate of currency to the bank to prove you have the insurance that they require. Remember though that part of your death benefit in your super is made up of your actual Super so just make sure you are using the Death Benefit/Terminal Illness benefit and it hasn't automatically calulated the Super in.  My does this but my DH's Super fund sets it out more easily to read.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.