The worst cover song ever..

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 BeachedAsBro

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Currently, MTV Classic on Foxtel is playing American Pie by Madonna (of course the original was by Don McLean & there was also the hillarious parody by Weird Al Yankovic in honour of Star Wars The Phantom Menace).

My ears are quite literally wanting to bleed.

I know there are hundreds out there, what's the worst cover version of a song, in your opinion?

#2 *Ker*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

The remake of Don Henley's Boys of Summer p*ssed me off too.

BuT I dunno...Madonna's American Pie cover was hard to beat.

OMG and Shianne on X factor - her cover this week of The Callings Wherever You Will Go. I LOVE that song and she totally trashed it!!!

#3 Faradaye

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

When Shannon Noll and Natalie Basingthwaite did a cover of Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel's Don't Give Up.

A mediocre song covered to sound exactly same as the original.

By two singers who aren't as talented as the originals.

#4 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

urgh another reason i dont like madonna

#5 BeachedAsBro

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Ooh there's been two covers of Boys of Summer. The techno DJ Sammy version & a ska punk version (can't remember the band). Both nowhere near as good as Don Henley's.

#6 icekool

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Agreed @ Boys of Summer

Any songs by James Blunt

#7 FeralBob!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Marilyn Manson's cover of Tainted Love was mediocre. And I'm being generous here.

#8 *Ker*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Don Henley IS Boys of Summer and I adore his music, so I was p*ssed at ANY covers.

Some songs you just don't **** with...any classics are hands off. American Pie is a classic too.

#9 aluminium

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

If you are not Susanna Hoffs, you should NOT be singing Eternal Flame.

#10 CountryFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Not a true cover as he has changed the words... but is there anything, anything, ANYTHING worse than this?

#11 FeralBob!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (aluminium @ 09/11/2012, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#rulestoliveby  laugh.gif Most definitely!

#12 SisterMaryElephant

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Any cover by Ronan Keating.  He knows how to find a lovely country song and turn it into sappy pop.  Most especially Alison Krauss' When You Say Nothing at All.

Edited by CleverChook, 09 November 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#13 NunSoFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Lemonheads -Mrs Robinson

Not that the original by Simon & Garfunkel floated my boat that much, but jeeze man the freaking Lemonhead cheese.

To even it out - Red Hot Chilli Peppers did a pretty good cover of Stevie Wonders Higher Ground

And this cover of Rolling Stones is brilliant - Ashley Naylor cracks me up

#14 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

William Shatners Bohemian Rhapsody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKo4FMzt_hM

Or his rocket man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lul-Y8vSr0I

Then again they make me laugh way more than the originals...

#15 la di dah

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

The White Stripes covering Jolene

rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif

#16 lizardqueen

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Worst cover I ever heard was Shaggy and Merrill Bainbridge covering "I Got You Babe", closely followed by Celine Dion singing "You Shook Me All Night Long".  Appalling and unnecessary.

Rammstein's version of Stripped (Depeche Mode) will hopefully never be heard again (well, I won't listen to it!!).

I beg to differ. *Nobody* should ever sing that song.  tongue.gif

LQ

Edited by lizardqueen, 09 November 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#17 WhatWouldBuffyDo?

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

I am a Stones fan, Get off my could used to be one of my favourites, but I think I like this even more!

QUOTE (gettheetoanunnery @ 09/11/2012, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And this cover of Rolling Stones is brilliant - Ashley Naylor cracks me up

I LOVE Ashley Naylor.  Met him at an Even gig a few years ago and had my photo taken with him - I was in heaven.  Would seriously loe to sit down  with him, have a beer and talk about rock and roll.

Even have covered a couple of 60s classics - they do them nothing but absolute justice.

#18 FlamingoG

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

I once accidentally saw Panic At The Disco at a festival - they had the nerve to cover Karma Police, which chilled me to the bone.

#19 Duck-o-lah

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

I was mad when Avril Lavigne covered System of a Down's 'ChopSuey' but then I hear she has attempted John Lennon's classic, 'Imagine'. Lady, who the hell do you think you are?!

Madonna's woeful cover of 'American Pie' was desperately awful.

Not a well known one, but the cover Sarah Blasko did of Outkast's 'Hey ya' for Triple J's 'Like a Version' was awful, how she managed to suck the life out of that song I'll never know.

I like the White Stripes cover of Jolene biggrin.gif

#20 livvie7586

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (aluminium @ 09/11/2012, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm, the Human Nature version wasn't actually too bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i_yGgg8fyw

Atomic Kitten though..... sick.gif   and i have this odd memory that they got the lyrics wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aztY_fpjJeQ

Although, the very best version was performed live on stage, about 7 years ago, as an encore (because they didn't perform it in the original set), by The Bangles themselves  tongue.gif

Edited by livvie7586, 09 November 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#21 Sam Wheat

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Miley Cyrus should of left 'Every rose has it's thorn' by Poison the hell alone, great song now tainted by Hannah bloody Montanna.

Edited by Sharkies, 09 November 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#22 mindy05

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Linda Rondstadt (sp?) singing Elvis Costello's 'Allison'.

#23 Ellen D

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (*Ker* @ 09/11/2012, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The remake of Don Henley's Boys of Summer p*ssed me off too.

QUOTE (BeachedAsBro @ 09/11/2012, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooh there's been two covers of Boys of Summer. The techno DJ Sammy version & a ska punk version (can't remember the band). Both nowhere near as good as Don Henley's.

I actually prefer the Ataris' remake of Boys of Summer. Don Henley makes me go meh.

#24 CountryFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 09/11/2012, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hell if we are going down this path - the "How very dare you - that is Ms Parton's goddam song!" path... I am here to say (and I'm prepared for the backlash - c'mon I'm ready!)

Whitney Houston's "I will always love you"

How it should sound

#25 steppy

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

For me it is Gold Dust Woman, originally by Fleetwood Mac, covered by Hole. Courtney Love. Enough said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.