Car servicing
Advice on manufacturers warranty

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bakesgirls

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Posted here because I have no idea where else to put it.

My car service is due within the next 400km odometer reading. I have a Toyota Kluger. When I rang to book it in with Toyota, I was told it would cost $360+. The mechanic down the road (we took our previous car to him for years and thought he was great) said he charges $170.

So my question is, if I take it to my local mechanic will it have any effect on the car's warranty? I'm just worried that they will refuse to cover anything that may come up in the future if I haven't been taking the car to be serviced with them.

TIA.

#2 SUSIE25

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

I always thought that you can take it anywhere you want as long as your service book is filled in and by a registered mechanic/service place and it didnt have to be the original dealer. They cant force you to take it back to them and imply that the warranty is invalid if you dont. I didnt think this was legal.

Edited by SUSIE25, 09 November 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#3 Ellen D

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

If he's a certified mechanic, then it shouldn't affect your statutory or manufacturer's warranty, however, it would probably void any dealership warranty.

#4 Country (deci)Mel

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

If the mechanic does it by the book it is fine.

Remember though that some services are 'big' ones - ours just had the 90 000km one and that requires changing of a few parts in addition to the regular oil/air filter et. al.

If your local guy doesn't know that it is one of these 'big' services he may have underquoted... check with him.

#5 MrsLexiK

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (bakesgirls @ 09/11/2012, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So my question is, if I take it to my local mechanic will it have any effect on the car's warranty? I'm just worried that they will refuse to cover anything that may come up in the future if I haven't been taking the car to be serviced with them.

TIA.

It depends on the wording of your warranaty and if you got an extra year or 2 thrown in for "free".  An extended warranty offered by the dealer will usually 9 times out of 10 have a stipulation it must be serviced by that dealer (or anyone of the dealerships they own).  The warranty that comes stock standard on the car (ie say all Mazda's have 3 years or 100,000km) on the otherhand will usually not have that stipulation and you will be "allowed" to get it serviced anywhere as long as you get the book stamped (ie you cannot do a backyard job on it, it has to go to a shop and ensure they stamp it)

QUOTE (SUSIE25 @ 09/11/2012, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always thought that you can take it anywhere you want as long as your service book is filled in and by a registered mechanic/service place and it didnt have to be the original dealer. They cant force you to take it back to them and imply that the warranty is invalid if you dont. I didnt think this was legal.

Please see my reply above. I know this as my husband is mechanic and has worked in both dealerships and in non affilated shops.  My mum has also worked for a car company (not in sales she did the admin stuff).  If you agree to the dealer warranty you are agreeing to their terms which is normally that you get it serviced with them, otherwise what is the perk of throwing in an extended warranty?  Also it will be in the contract you signed somewhere. When I brouht my car my DH asked the guy if the extended warranty would mean getting it serviced at the dealership.  The guy was honest and said yes.  Clearly a mechanic is not going to get an extended warranty but rather push for a different "freebie"

ETA: if youtake a dealer warranty it may overide the car warranty ie Mazada no longer take responsibility the dealer does. So check your contract/warranty info very carefully if you have taken out a dealer warranty.

Edited by MrsLexiK, 09 November 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#6 bakesgirls

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the replies. We bought our car as a used vehicle when it was 8 months old. So I'm not sure if we have to abide by the original purchasers warranty or if it's different as we are the second owners. We have the remaining balance of the new car warranty, so until 2014/100000km, whichever comes first.

I think I may just stick to Toyota servicing to avoid confusion or problems arising.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.