Muscle Twitches (Fasciculations)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 UpsyDaisy

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Does anyone else get muscle fasciculations (twitching?). Is there anything you can do about it? This is a new thing for me. It started in the middle on my back about 8 weeks ago - noticeable when driving and sitting in the car seat. It was kind of like one of my kids gently tapping the back of the chair, however, no kids were ever with me. It took a good two weeks to realised what was happening.

It then progressed to my left side - arms, legs, hands, fingers etc. and now slowly my right side. It's progressed rather quickly and I know the surface EMG I had for my hand tremors picked it up a few weeks ago. Get all those results this week.

I currently have a brand new twitch that is driving me nuts in my left back sole of my foot? What the? Has anyone else experienced fasciculations? Can they do anything to help?

ETA - I should mention I already have hand tremors of unknown origin. I'm getting results this week from an surface EMG etc. assessment. I have both a resting and action tremor. Also get noticeable hand or finger twitching, jerking etc. What I am referring to above is not so much the noticeable jerking movements, but the either twitching feeling under the skin or visual twitching under the skin - kind of fine under the skin twitches compared to the more obvious jerking visual tremor/twitching. Sorry I am not good at explaining it.

TIA

Edited by UpsyDaisy, 09 November 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#2 UpsyDaisy

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

I've had many, many blood tests done - so much so my Neurologist says there isn't much point doing more or I will start to leak LOL! Been down the stress path and it's not that. My electrolytes levels are always good with exception to severely low potassium levels about 3 years ago but was treated at the time. Magnesium, sodium, calcium, potassium etc. levels are currently all within normal limits and not of concern. Thanks so much for the reply.

Edited by UpsyDaisy, 09 November 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#3 Catolyn

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

Magnesium, potassium, calcium or sodium deficiency could all do that, as they regulate muscle control. Stress and fatigue can be big contributors too.

I get random jerks and cramps due to erroneous nervous system firing, benzoes are quite useful for controlling it as they have muscle relaxant and anticonvulsant properties.

#4 UpsyDaisy

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for the reply Catolyn. It's a relief to know there is medication available to help relive these sorts of symptoms. It's something I will bring up with my Neuro. this week. Thanks

#5 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

Yep, I can be on the computer at home and work and my thumb will feel tight then tap up and down on it's little ownsome it's a thing that happens to most people in my family my Dr saw it once and as it's only my left thumb that does it he isn't too worried but if it progresses then he said he will start to look into it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.