Long-winded post ahead.
As I've posted here before; I have a kelpie chow x puppy that we got from RSPCA. She's 11 months atm - so still a puppy. She's responded well to training but still occasionally regresses. I assume that with age and just keeping up with the training; that will all settle.
She's really coming along especially after we got her the haltie for walking (Thanks all for that advice!)
She is a bit of a sensitive dog however. Not in a fearful "she'll go rogue at snap at us all" kind of way just a bit....anxious. We've been doing the NILF program as we thought it was a alpha dog territorial thing and she was making herself anxious by constantly worrying about 'her' pack. She's improved so much but I think she will always be a bit sensitive.
We notice that when she's around other dogs she is much calmer. She seems to take the lead from them and happily potters around doing her thing. It doesn't matter what dog it is - she is just immediately submissive to all dogs on the planet. Well except for Maltese pups. She is not an ambassador of a Maltese.
We have been talking about perhaps getting a companion dog to be her playmate. Financially and yard wise we can afford a second dog. Emotionally we would all love another dog but frankly - we love animals - so our hearts might lead us heavily astray!
I suppose from there come the questions! (With the caveat of course that you can't answer completely without seeing the pup in action) but general opinions would be awesome.
* Could a playmate dog be helpful here? Or are we better off waiting it out and seeing if she settles with time?
* Should a dog be completely 'trained' before upsetting the status quo. How do you know when you reach that point?
* Are some dogs just always going to be a bit more sensitive?
* Is integration of a new dog better when the existing dog is a pup? Or does it just depend on their respective personalities?
* We don't necessarily want a puppy. We kind of imagine a slightly older and wiser dog - who can impart wisdom on our silly little puppy.
...That's not really a question. More of a statement I guess.
* We have a 4month baby to also throw into that mix but I feel it will take months before we find the right dog fit - so the bubba should be older. That being said would an older dog be less training? I suppose it also depends on dog and their background. Also knowing my luck the perfect animal will turn up tomorrow.
We want to get another dog at some point regardless but I suppose we want to make sure it's at the right time.
Ok if you manged to work your way through that - send me your wisdom! It's getting dire over here with me staring longingly at petrescue and I need to be headed off before it gets too late.
Unless it's a great idea - in which case it's all over and I'll be off to RSPCA tomorrow.