HSV-1 of the Genitals (Labia actually)
Symptoms don't match HSV?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 whoisme

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hi,

So, I've been 'diagnosed' with HSV-1 of the Genitals, passed from my DH to myself during oral sex, as HSV-1 is oral herpes which my DH does suffer from.

Anyway, I don't have sores or blisters.  I only had/have itching with tender lymph node and when I used a mirror to check myself found a raw lesion (about 3cm long and .5cm wide) between my labia majora and labia minora on the right side only with a very small lesion near the entrance of the vagina.

Does this sound like HSV-1 of the Genitals to you?

Even the pictures on the internet are sores or round awful painful looking pustular (sp?) type lesions, mine is flat and raw that itches, the skin is more red  and the labia became very swollen, probably due to having to itch it and can weep blood if I try to relieve the itch to much.

What do you think?

#2 Beltie

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

It does sound like it could be HSV. Why the inverted commas around diagnosed? Does that mean self diagnosed or diagnosed by a doctor with a swab?

HSV-1 is preferable to HSV-2 because the likely rate of recurrence is less. The actual site of the the virus is fairly irrelevant as the pattern of occurrence is getting all mixed-up with changing patterns of sexual activity.

Either way, I'm sorry. Get attention for it quickly to reduce the symptoms and also advice about what to do in the event of another occurrence.

#3 futureself

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Did the DR do a swab to diagnose? I have heard that HSV1 on the genitals is extremely common due to oral sex but only a swab of the blister fluid will say for sure which strain.
Either way that sounds terribly painful you poor thing. Itching it, or touching it at all is not a good idea though as you risk infection.

#4 whoisme

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for replying futureself and Beltie..

I  had swabs and blood tests done.

It is in inverted commas because although my DH has had cold sores the thing is I am actually not in pain, I have no blisters, no sores, just a raw lesion that itches (or did itch) like mad, with a swollen labia and a tender lymph node so I although I could have HSV-1 of the genitals that my symptoms do not match those of HSV-1 of the genitals or the pictures I could find......so was wondering if it could be something else instead.

#5 Great Dame

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

So have the tests come back?  Was it positive?

HSV-1 is a cold sore right?  Normally on the face?

No it doesn't sound like a cold sore at all.  Perhaps they appear different on the genital area though.  Cold sores usually start with blisters, the scab over.  They are usually not itchy except at the beginning, but not incredibly itchy or anything.

#6 Beltie

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Oh, I see.

HSV can be a great mimic. I've seen cases in the genital and anal region that look more like fissures than ulcers or blisters. The blood test is not as helpful for you as the swab. A swab of the base of the lesion is very effective at saying if it is an HSV 1 or 2 lesion or not.

When googling pictures you must remember that they tend to show the "classical" picture or the worst case scenario. Most diseases can present in an atypical way so you might not find an exact match for your  lesion on the internet or in a text book. Sadly for you the swabs don't lie.

Heal fast. Herpes is a pain in the b*m.

#7 whoisme

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

It was either the swab or blood test that came back positive for HSV-1 which is the oral herpes of lips/mouth that I've got on my vulvar area.

Thank you beltie for your insight.

#8 soontobegran

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Don't look at google photos, HSV1 comes in all shapes and sizes and dependent on whether it is a primary lesion or not there are many women totally unaware they have a lesion at all. This is particularly the case for lesions inside the vagina and on the cervix.
Primary Lesions will often be the only ones that are extremely painful and cause symptoms such as enlarged lymph glands etc.
If you have been diagnosed then it is most likely a lesion and you need to take precautions with regards to doing what you can to prevent spread like having your own towels, strict handwashing and no sex of course.
Hope it heals quickly for you.

#9 mrsboof

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Everything Beltie said. With emphisise on the part about if the base was swabbed and came back positive, then that is what it is.

I actually have more genital herpes swabs come back postive for HSV-1 then HSV-2 now. Traditionally it was that HSV-1 was oral lesions and HSV-2 for genital lesions, but due to changes in sexual practices that is no longer the rule. Regardles of the type, it is still treated and managed in the same way. Beltie might have the some better figures, but anecdotally I have not noticed any difference in recurrance rates or severity of disease between the 2 types.

But I'm glad its not bothering you, and usually the first outbreak is the worst, and hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones who never, ever gets any further symptoms.

#10 Beltie

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Some helpful info:

A fact sheet  for people with herpes, not sponsored by pharmaceutical companies.
UpToDate: Herpes

A good website, sponsored by a pharmaceutical company.
herpes.com.au

Op, I know you have seen your GP about this but others might find these useful. It's not an easy infection to understand and it's pretty confronting whether it's on your genitals or your face.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.