2yo and 6mo sharing a room

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SilverSky

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Can someone tell me how this works? Two year old would be in a single bed and obviously 6mo in a cot. I'm worried about 2yo putting a small toy/piece of food/paper/rubbish in the cot that the 6mo might put in their mouth?

I do have the options of having them in separate rooms however I would prefer them to share to have use of the other room. I suppose I'd be faced with the same dilemma even with the toddler in his own room, as he would just walk into the babies room - as shutting the door would only work until he learns how to open it.

What do people do?!?

#2 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

We havent done this but I will be stalking this thread as we will likely be having a 2.5yo with a newborn

#3 Madnesscraves

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

A friend of mine has this arrangement. Seems to work as I asked her due to I'm looking to do the same down the track.
She kept the room to the basics ie nothing that would hurt younger baby.
Says the older just sleeps and even if one wakes, the other sleeps through it.

#4 froggy1

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

We had  2yo with a newborn - never a problem. The first time she kindly put one of her suffocatingly large toys in the cot, we explained gently (but firmly) that she couldn't do that - she caught the drift after a few explanations. Same for small things. Somehow once she'd 'got it' no more things went into the cot. (Until of course she started moving furniture over to the cot to help her sister  escape!  rolleyes.gif )

#5 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

I have this - sort of, DS was 6 months when he started sharing with his 2 yr old sister been about 8/9 months now works a treat they adore each other. I have not had any issues with safety, and put them to bed at same time they giggle for about 15 mins then off to sleep.

#6 Xenice

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hi, sorry, no help here but I'll be watching this thread closely. I have a 3 yo and a newborn who I plan to move to her sister's room as soon as I can. The funny noises newborns make just totally destroy my sleep, however I am worried about baby's crying at night will wake my toddler up. Is anyone in the same situation as i and managed to solve this problem?

P/S: sorry to hijack this thread.

#7 Freddie'sMum

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Been there, done that.

We started our 2 girls sharing their room - DD#1 was about 3 years old and DD#2 was 8 months old.  It worked out fine.  DD#1 was in fact very excited that DD#1 was going to be in "her" room.  I agree about the no little toys in the room that the baby can put in her mouth etc.

I always put the girls to bed at the same time at night.  Always - so if we had had a bad day, I would do an early tea, bath and put them into bed at 6pm.  We still do that now - even though they are 7-and-a-half and 5.  I think this is very important - they have very long days (as babies and toddlers) and they need their sleep.

They will actually sleep quite well in the same room (that's our experience anyway).  They have their own soft toys / blankets / the baby would have her dummy (and a few spare in the cot !!) / read a story, night lights on and big light off.

They also learned to sleep through even if the other one woke up.  On more than one occasion - the toddler would be sick / have a nightmare and the baby would keep on sleeping and vice versa.  

So, our girls shared a room for more than 2 years - till we sold our 2 bedroom unit and bought a 3 bedroom townhouse.  Totally do-able.

#8 BronR

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

My 2 have always shared. 2 yrs 4 months apart. DS didn't really have his toys so much in his room when he was 2 so it wasn't ever really a problem. He used to climb into his sister's cot though to give DD a cuddle but that wasn't until she was a bit older so no real risk.

FWIW DS was an extremely light sleeper himself as a baby. As a toddler, with his baby sister in his room he just went with the flow and didn't wake up when she did and she was a shocker. Having a baby in the same room actually improved the toddlers sleep.

We are about to renovate and they will get their own rooms (they are now 7 and nearly 5) but both are adamant they want to still sleep in the same room. They often get into bed with each other, especially if one wakes up from a dream or something, just climbs into siblings bed. I much prefer that than them coming into my bed.

#9 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (Madnesscraves @ 10/11/2012, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A friend of mine has this arrangement. Seems to work as I asked her due to I'm looking to do the same down the track.
She kept the room to the basics ie nothing that would hurt younger baby.
Says the older just sleeps and even if one wakes, the other sleeps through it.

same here.  Ours started sharing when DD1 was 2, DD2 was 6 months.  DD1 mostly slept through any grizzles or cries that DD2 made.  we were constantly amazed.

QUOTE (Xenice @ 10/11/2012, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, sorry, no help here but I'll be watching this thread closely. I have a 3 yo and a newborn who I plan to move to her sister's room as soon as I can. The funny noises newborns make just totally destroy my sleep, however I am worried about baby's crying at night will wake my toddler up. Is anyone in the same situation as i and managed to solve this problem?

P/S: sorry to hijack this thread.

I think if your older child is not a super light sleeper, they do learn to adjust.  For the first month of so, sometime DD1 would stir or start to come out of sleep, but she was very easy to settle back into sleep (just a pat and some "shh shh" sounds).  After that, she slept like a log most of the time and DD2 would have to be seriously screaming the house down before DD1 would wake up.  Not sure if it would work so well if your older child is naturally a very light sleeper.

Our girls are now 5.5yo (DD1) and nearly 4yo (DD2) and still share the same room, even though they don't have to.  If one of them wakes up, they don't wake the other.  Sometimes we will find in the morning that they have hopped into the same bed sometime during the night.
biggrin.gif

#10 ~ky~

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

Worked for us with no problems at all.

Fasr forward 9 1/2 years and they still prefer to share ...

#11 SeaPrincess

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

Our boys have shared since they were 8 months old and almost 3. Even now, they have almost no toys in their bedroom.  We've been lucky that we've always had space for a designated toy area, but in our house, the bedrooms are really only used for sleeping, not playing.

Oh, and they never woke each other up, even through illness, sheet changes, whatever.  They do now sometimes wake each other in the morning.

R

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.