Westmead Childrens Hospital
Thank you

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DamiansMama

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

My nephew was born with some severe physical "deformaties". Actually I'm not even sure I would say deformaties as he is a completely normal child (not to mention the love of our lives) bar the adhesions. A little background...

You see. He was an identical twin. His brother died at approx 19 weeks and my SIL carried to 33 weeks. We really did not know what we were facing but knew there was something wrong. He entered this world the normal way but was immediately taken to neo-natal. Doctors were initally baffled by his condition. He was born with 13 open wounds all over his body. The major one on the top of his head. As the skull had not formed, we could see the membrane  sad.gif . He stayed in hospital for over a week, but was good to come home while he healed.

SIL would sit up late in the night/morning knitting little beanies that could tie under his chin so to protect his wee little head. Heal it did, but unfortunately he developed a callus and the skin surrounding that area (the size of a baseball), was like a burn victim and therefore has no hair.

Two weeks ago, he had the first operation to surgically repair this area. He currently has the nickname Frankie (making some light of the situation) - due to the shape of his head. It will triple in size over the next coming months and we watch him constantly. No jumping, pushing, etc but pretty hard when you are a 3 yo that thinks he is Superman wink.gif

I just want to thank our Doctors, Nurses and all those behind the scene amazing people who make this even remotely possible. You are changing the life of one beautiful little boy and I will be forever grateful.

Edited by DamiansMama, 12 November 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#2 handsfull

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Totally awesome post about your nephew.  

It is truly amazing what the medical profession can do to help our children.  

We too have been blessed with medical intervention, if I can say that! and my beautiful girls are here today because of it all.

Hope the operations go well and he is well on the way to recovery.

Way to go.

#3 DamiansMama

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (handsfull @ 12/11/2012, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Totally awesome post about your nephew.  

It is truly amazing what the medical profession can do to help our children.  

We too have been blessed with medical intervention, if I can say that! and my beautiful girls are here today because of it all.

Hope the operations go well and he is well on the way to recovery.

Way to go.

I agree!! Hope your little girls are giving you many happy life long memories.

#4 DamiansMama

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Not sure whether anyone is reading, but my little nephew has developed a nasty infection. ATM they are treating him with anti-biotics intravenously, will monitor him for 24 hours, if it doesn't clear, he is back into surgery to take out all the saline balloons which have been inserted into his head and then start from scratch, months down the track.

sad.gif

#5 ozbilby

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Poor little man, I hope he gets better soon.

#6 Farmgal

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

One of my Twin boys was in Westmead for ten weeks after he was born. We could not have been happier with the support we received from the children's hospital. Two operations down and he is a new boy.

I wish your nephew all the best, he is in great hands. I hope the infection clears ASAP.

Thinking of him and his family.

#7 Therese

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

I hope the infection clears up quickly sad.gif

#8 DamiansMama

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Thank you ladies and I really do hope this infection passes. We should know a little more by the end of the day. What we do know is that he will be in hospital for a while, but it is the best place for him.

#9 Therese

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

How is he today ?

#10 VJs Mummy

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Hoping your little nephew is better sending my well wishes his way

#11 DamiansMama

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Just a little update: Unfortunately my nephew had to have surgery to remove all saline balloons as they could not contain the infection. They managed to reduce the size of the original scarring and all but a 20c coin size remains. He will however have the operation once again in 12 months time. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Thank you for checking in and apologies for not coming in earlier.

#12 ~ky~

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

I'm sorry not all is going to plan, but am glad your nephew is getting such incredible care.

My daughter, Ruby spent all of her life at Westmead Childrens .. we could not fault the love and care that was given to her during that time. She was treated gently with love and respect as were we.

I hope all goes well in his future surgeries  original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.