Findababysitter.com.au
Is it worth joining?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 aztecblue

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

I am looking for a nanny 1 day a week and was looking at www.findababysitter.com.au. Has anyone had success with this site? I posted up an ad already under a trial 7 day period but to reply to any responses or contact anyone directly I need to pay for membership, which seems costly (about $95 for 3 months). Can anyone recommend another method to find a good nanny - I have tried word of mouth but no one seems to be able to recommend anyone. Thanks

#2 sqawk

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

I have used FAB and gumtree.  Gumtree is free but i think the overall quality of applicants is better on FAB.  $95 seems a lot but when you compare it to how much you're going to pay the nanny, I personally think its a good investment!!  I found gumtree had a lot of students and travellers so probably better if you're looking for someone relative short-term

Depending on how much time you have, you could try gumtree first, then FAB later if unsuccessful initially.  My current nanny was on both as it turns out.  I have never used an agency, but understand they charge hundreds for inital placement etc.

#3 baddmammajamma

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes, we have successfully used FAB.

We ended up finding our WONDERFUL babysitter three years ago through FAB -- she lives very close to us, went to the local school on our street, has fabulous credentials. I'm not sure we would have "found" her had we had relied solely on word of mouth.

Worth the registration fee IMHO.

Good luck!!!

#4 paige0810

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Hi mumto1boy,

Which city are you living in and looking for a nanny?

By experience ads on Gumtree can get a lot of replies but if you're stringent on your criteria and specify the role, you'll have a lot less responses.
PLUS it's FREEEEE!

#5 Pompol

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

I tried Find a Babysitter earlier this year and it was hopeless in our case. We live rurally. Had a few applicants, but most not at all suitable for our job, except one who seemed perfect but was only interested in the position if we'd pay cash in hand, which we wouldn't. I can imagine it would be a very useful resource if you lived in the right place geographically but my suggestion would be to spend your money on a local newspaper ad if you don't !!

#6 halcyondays

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

I've found fantastic nannies through findababysitter- I'm in Sydney. With facebook and google, it is quite easy to check referees and references.

#7 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'm in Sydney and found a brilliant nanny through FAB, as well as a babysitter a couple of years later.
As squawk said, there's a volume / quality trade off between FAB and gumtree.
$95 is probably half a day nanny cost... Fairly good return on investment vs agencies.

#8 au*lit

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

I recently had great success with FAB. I have just returned to work and needed to find someone 3 days a week. I am in an inner suburb of Melbourne, so that probably doesn't hurt.

Within hours of posting the job I was getting replies. After a few days I changed the ad to say we weren't considering any more applications and then closed the position early (so it came off the site). I was also pleasantly surprised at the experience and qualifications of many applicants.

We have founds someone we're really happy with and most importantly DS loves spending time with her.

If we ever need to find a nanny/babysitter again I'd use FAB.

While the cost might seem a lot, it's way cheaper than what an agency would charge.

#9 EBeditor

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Obviously I have a vested interest in FAB but I have had a great experience with the site and my current babysitter was hired through the service.

I have used gumtree before and the lady I hired quit via SMS with no notice  mad.gif

#10 I'veGotTheBook

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

I work for a family who's nanny - from FAB - worked one week then took time off due to a family matter so I stepped in to help. Then she came back several weeks later, worked another 2 weeks then quit by SMS. I'm on FAB and have some great clients that I work for and some not so great. Just be as honest as you can, pay on time and if you feel you need a contract then write one. If you want once off I think it's a good idea to do a 2 hour session prior so they can know the kids a bit and the kids aren't just left with a stranger.

#11 crazyforkids

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

I have just found my kids nanny, to start next year, through FAB. best $95 i spent. original.gif

#12 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

I have found two great nannies using FAB...I am interviewing a nanny today who i found on gumtree, she sounds nice...although I got a dodgy reply to the ad I placed on gumtree...well I thought it was dodgy (I posted here about it yesterday actually)

Edited by Lucretia Borgia, 22 November 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#13 boatiebabe

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

My after school nanny came via findababysitter.

I have over 30 applicants although a good 20 of them were iffy and did not really meet the criteria I specified. I am in a regional city.

I ended up interviewing 3 in the end and found my current one who I am very happy with.

My membership has lapsed but if I needed to find an after school carer again I would sign up again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.