Help with UK car seats....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JG13

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

We are moving to Scotland (from Melb) in January and I am a bit confused about car seat options and requirements.

We currently have DD5 in HiLiner (26lkgs), DS1 AHR Maxi (17 kgs) and DS2 SnS Royale (16kgs).  If we were staying in Australia, I would leave them in these seats for at least the next year or so without even a thought.  

The seats in the UK seem to be quite different though, based on my quick view of the Britax website.  Can any one help me with a recommendation?  

If it helps, we will most likely buy a XC90 Volvo as we need 7 seats.

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Child is required to stay in a booster seat until 12yrs or 135cm.

I have sat ina britax Kidfix and fit in the seat... I am 150 cm small.

3.5-4yrs seems to be the move to booster seat age.

Www.which.co.uk has independent safety testing results. The top seats for what we would call up to 4yrs are actually seats which use the lap sash seatbelt and a tummy shield rather then a 5pt harness seat.

#3 IsolaBella

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Eta you won't fit 2x ISOFIX seats and another seat in the middle row. The Citroen c4 Picasso has 3x Isofix points in the middle row.

#4 Lenats31

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

I would wait a little while yet. Due to new regulations that will soon come into effect, there are a plenty of new seats on the way.

Among the new regulations is that no baby and toddler can pass the approval testing if they cannot accommondate a child rearwardfacing until at least 15 months of age.

Mass Groups will be terminated and replaced by age and standing height

Isofix seats will tolerate a total weight of 33 kg. That means if the car seat + base (if there is a base) weighs 12 kg, the child can weigh as much as 21 kg before the seat must be changed.

The new regulations will also introduce reduced size, which I think has a lot  to do with the width of the seat. getting three seats across is on the way.

From 2014 onward all cars sold on the European market must have isofix fixings. I think it must be in all three seating positions in the back.

#5 JG13

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Do you mean hold off beyond January 2013?  I am going to need to get car seats virtually as soon as we arrive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.