Christmas Gifts for Teacher
Smiggle Voucher?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 kylesj

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

I'm always conscious about how many soaps/bath/shower stuff; mugs; chocolates etc that teachers get at Christmas...so I thought that a Smiggle gift voucher would be ok.  WDYT?

Thanks in advance.
Kylie

#2 lisacat

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

I think that would be a great gift as teachers use so much stationary, it will be greatly appreciated.
I am studying to be a teacher and i would love that as a gift

#3 Dionysus

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

As a teacher, I have never met a teacher that didn't like stationery!

I would love some personalised note-paper - pity I work in a secondary setting and gift-giving is not so prolific

le sigh

#4 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

I saw a jewellery shop today advertising "teacher gifts"  I think it is all a bit over the top.  Nobody gave teachers presents when I was a school.  Nobody give me presents for doing my job.

#5 Fr0g

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Nobody give me presents for doing my job.

Nor me, and nor would I want one - I'm being paid.  I prefer a heartfelt 'thanks' from parents of kids I'm paid to work with.  I second the gifting as over the top.

I'm encouraging my kids to give gifts to people who have elected to spend their time and energy mentoring and supporting them throughout the year, because they like them, not because they're paid to teach them (From sporting clubs).

And it will be wine.

ETA I've been completely lead astray by PP - Yes, OP, the Smiggle thing would probably be fine if you're that way inclined!  Sorry for rant.

Edited by FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog, 12 November 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#6 fruitbat72

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

The other mums and I are putting in $5 each to get the teacher a voucher to the local beautician.

Saves her endless rounds of soap and talc

#7 aprilrain

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Guilty! I am giving them nice mugs(those Ashdene Maxwell and Williams ones that seem to comme in every theme) at about $10ea. I never know how much to spend either.

#8 alicat3

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Sounds good:)
One year I bought the teachers a stack of stickers and stamps for them to use in class. They seemed to like it original.gif

#9 unique_gem

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

This year all my DDs aides are getting a magnetic notepad with a pen.  Most of the teachers will be getting a christmas tree decoration.  I often give movie vouchers as presents to teachers who I have really liked  biggrin.gif .
FWIW I always give gifts to teacher I think they do an amazing job and I love the idea of my kids giving presents to people as a token way of saying thanks at the end of a long year  biggrin.gif

#10 niggles

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Isn't Smiggle for kids? I know my little nieces love it. If you want to get a gift voucher of that type maybe try Kikki K or Typo instead.

I'm a teacher and I can testify that the teachers who 'just do their job' don't really get presents. The teachers who clearly go above and beyond don't go unnoticed by the students who benefit from this extra effort. I used to get a few boxes of chocolates and soaps - mostly from my form group who you have a more personal relationship with - but the colleague to my right who ran study sessions in her lunch hour, worked endless hours at backstage productions, ran the soup kitchen volunteers, made it her business to know which students were going through difficult times and would seek them out to offer support and so on and so on was naturally given many more gifts of appreciation.

#11 B-B-M

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Thanks to the topics that i've read on EB i have ordered DD's teachers some personalised notepads. They look great, i hope they like them!

On another note, DD's swim teacher this year has been fantastic! I want to get her a present as a thank you... does anyone know what you would buy for a swim instructor?!

#12 luke's mummu

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Our school generally has a class parent organise a group gift (normally a voucher). Each child is invited to put in $10, although this term DS has had 2 teacher's job sharing so I guess it will be less. Boring , but saves getting heaps of chocs, coffee mugs etc.

My cousin used to work in a preschool in a small country town and every year after Christmas she used to race around Sydney trying to find charity boxes to put coffee cups into. She never even drank tea or coffee herself.

#13 luke's mummu

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (B-B-M @ 12/11/2012, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On another note, DD's swim teacher this year has been fantastic! I want to get her a present as a thank you... does anyone know what you would buy for a swim instructor?!

I don't know DS swimming teachers well, so I usually go for chocs or hand cream or wine. Unless you can ask the receptionist what they like?

#14 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

We always bought our teachers a gift as kids and so did most of the other kids. My daughter isn't at school yet but I will be getting her dance teacher a little gift for Christmas. I don't care if she gets paid to do her job, my daughter spends time with her each week and really loves her. I appreciate how well she does her job and that she is so kind to my daughter and shows an interest in her - even if it is her job!

As a teacher I never expected gifts but I always gave my kids in my class a gift for Christmas. Why wouldn't I? I spent hours with them most days of the year and I genuinely loved them.

#15 Elemenopee

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

My kids go to a small rural school (35 kids) in a low socio-economic area. Instead of teacher gifts, I went and asked the principal what the school desperately needed. She indicated cooking implements, which I have purchased and already given to the school (they were having a 'gutsy challenge' cooking week last week so needed them). The teachers and principal were very appreciative.
In the past I have given presonalised stickers, they also loved those.

#16 jobo77

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

I came in here hoping for an idea for the same thing! DD loves her swimming teacher and I was thinking of getting DD to make her a xmas card and maybe just buying her a little box of chocs to go with it. Hopefully the handmade card will be appreciated more than anything else though  original.gif

#17 belindarama

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

I think it is a good idea but I agree that Kikki K is a better option for a teacher. Smiggle is more kids/teens in my book.

I love stationery but am never tempted by Smiggle.

#18 DylJayBen's Mum

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

For the teachers that have been great for the year (some years we've had nasty ones or lazy ones) I have got them personalised reward stickers from the website below.  I think that they are great and so do the teachers. Such a good idea biggrin.gif

http://mystickers4u.com.au/

#19 Morts!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

I ordered personalised notepads from Artscow for my girls' teachers, plus they will each pick out a Christmas decoration for them.

#20 Mumma3

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Our class reps collect money and do a "from the whole class" gift, which is nice, but, DS really likes to choose a gift himself and I think that is a really important skill for him to learn. My older kids are in high school, and it's not really the 'done" thing to give teacher gifts anymore, but older DS is wanting to give a gift to his drama teacher, and another amazing teacher - because they have both gone above and beyond.

Last year, we gave DS2s teacher a World Vision gift, of educational supplies for  a school in a developing country. She was very appreciative of this - we had a fairly good idea that she would have supported the World Vision gift, and we were spot on original.gif

This year, DS2s teacher has been amazing. She has been instrumental in assisting us with getting a formal diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome, and has spent so much extra time researching teaching strategies for AS kids, and working with and for DS. I know it has been hard for her, as he can be quite challenging at times, but I can not express my gratitude enough for the extra commitment she has put in. For this, I plan to get her and her husband a couple of Gold Class tickets. DS just wants to pick some roses from our garden for her  wub.gif

#21 Lokum

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Mumma3 @ 12/11/2012, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For this, I plan to get her and her husband a couple of Gold Class tickets. DS just wants to pick some roses from our garden for her  wub.gif

Bet she loves both gifts (tickets and roses) equally.

I'm all for the very thoughtful card with sincere message, and a token gift which can be consumed or re-gifted. (chocolates, tin of biscuits, mini cake/pudding etc).

In above PP's case, agree that this teacher deserves the extravagant gesture as well!

#22 mombasa

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

DD is giving her teacher a 'best teacher' christmas decoration and a book shop gift voucher, she's an avid reader and has been a wonderful inspiration and influence for DD this year we can't thank her enough tbh.

#23 mumtoactivetoddler

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

We do a gift box of home made fudges, biscuits, truffles etc. This seems to go down very well. it is personal as we spent a lot of time cooking them, I then detaile exactly what I have appreciated in their actions in a card

#24 mumto3princesses

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Not sure what we will do for the girls teachers this year. Smiggle stuff is nice though and they would go through heaps of stationery.

We have always just got the girls swimming teachers chocolates. Years ago they insisted since their swimming teachers love the water that they would really love the seashell chocolates. LOL So, it has become a bit of tradition for us.

#25 knittingkitten

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

My DD has has the most wonderful teacher for the past two years (Yr 1 and Yr/2). Last year we gave her a little orchid bouquet and a heartfelt card.

This year I'm going to write her a letter and tell her how wonderful she is- she has grown DD's confidence, her skills and her social skills.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.