Choosing a School
Changing School for Year 2

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 smilenz

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

I am at a cross road on what to do for my son at school.

We are currently in a school that I am unhappy at, he is ok at this stage.  I have massive concerns for next year.....other students & teachers.

I kinow the school I want him to go to but we are out of zone & even if we got in as an out of area student the travel would not work out.

I have to wait until the market will be kinder before we can think about moving house...

There are a couple of other schools in the area but I guess my question is, what is you look for in a school, what is that gets you to the point of removing your child, what sells a school to you?

Any help would be awesome - thank you in advance.

#2 liveworkplay

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

A big one for me is how much time is spent on behavioral management and how much on actual educational content. I work within the education system and only had a teacher tell me that other day that something that would take one lesson to teach at one of the schools I work at, would take a week at another local school (this teacher has taught at both schools) Another biggie for me is how happy the teachers are. That is harder to judge from a parents perspective, but from my experience, the vibe in the staffroom directly correlates to how "good" as school is. If staff are happy, and have good leadership and support, then most other things can be overcome.

But the single most important thing is that my children are happy and love learning! I would grit my teeth about anything if this was occurring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.