Type 2 Diabetes
Anyone on here with it?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lafonda

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have searched a few times and could really only find the T1 kids thread and GD thread.

Wondering if anyone on here has Type 2 Diabetes?

What were your symptoms before diagnoses?

How has your life changed?

I am waiting on blood test results, but will be shocked if that is not the outcome.

Thank you original.gif

#2 lafonda

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Bump

Anyone?

Got my blood test results today. Very low Vit D and pre diabetic. Have to do the sugar drink test tomorrow to confirm diabetes.

#3 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hi, hope the test goes ok for you. I was tested around two years ago in the course of a whole range of tests I was having to determine why I couldnt conceive....I was pre diabetic too (sorry, can't remember what my levels were)...I was shocked to tell you the truth...my symptoms I guess really centred around my inability to conceive...I was diagnosed with poly cystic ovaries and insulin resistance which went with it. I was over weight...but that was really the only general symptom I can think of. I went on a low GI diet and exercise regime...I lost weight, and subsequently conceived. I have to go back and have another GTT now I have weaned ....I will let you know how I go, but my OB ( he was the dr doing all the tests) told me I will have to watch out for this my whole life ( yay), ie it will be my " thing"... Like some people  have high cholesterol, or high blood pressure etc.

All the best....

#4 jmaz86

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

Personally...I dont have T2 diabetes...however I have a close friend who has. Her life has not changed to much...recently she has been put on metformin to assist in controlling it, by using the medication straight away from diagnosis as well as diet she is able to control the diabetes from the beginning and reduce the risk of further complications of the disease in later life.
My advice would be, make sure that if possible if you are diagnosed with T2 diabetes then try and see a diabetes educator...they are wonderful and provide you with a wealth of knowledge.
Diabetes does not have to change your life...nor control your life, diet and excercise are generally the main things that change as well as learning to manage hypo and hyper glycaemic attacks.
Best of luck

#5 ~spirited~

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

My sister has type 2. She was diagnosed in her 20s and is now 51. She has only just gone on insulin in the past year, so managed to control it with diet and exercise for a long time.

I had GD in my first pregnancy (diagnosed at 18 weeks due to sister's T2). I have my GTT on Thursday this time around (at 14 weeks), and will be surprised if it doesn't come back with a diagnosis of GD, I've been monitoring my BSL and my fasting levels are already high.

From comparing my GD diet and BSL guidelines to my sister's T2 diet and BSL guidelines, T2 management is a lot more relaxed than GD! I guess how much it changes your life depends on how you were living your life pre-diagnosis. Regular exercise and sticking to low GI carbs as much as possible, following the dietary guidelines you are given (my sister seems to be able to eat a lot more carbs than I do when I have GD, so unless you regularly indulge in carb fests it shouldn't be too much of a difference) and making sure you eat regularly (3 meals, 2-3 snacks) will be the main things. The thing I do find a pain is waiting 2 hours after each meal to test my BSL before I can eat anything else, but I'm not sure if T2 tests the 1 hour level or 2 hour level.

As for symptoms, my GD symptoms in my first pregnancy were excessive thirst and frequent urination, and headaches and energy slumps in the afternoon. I felt a lot better once I started following the GD diet.

Interestingly, when I did my GTT when I had GD it didn't make me feel sick at all (I had been warned it would make me nauseous). The only thing I noticed was I got tired at the hour mark. When I did my follow up GTT after the pregnancy (and the results came back no diabetes) I felt icky.

Good luck OP.

#6 Divine 35

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

DH was diagnosed with T2 7 years ago. His symptoms were extreme thirst, going to the toilet constantly and blurry vision.

His levels were so bad that the meter didn't go that high, he was very close to a coma.

He also happened to gain quite a bit of weight(20 k, prior to the symptoms beginning.

He takes metformin for it now, and watches his levels and his food/drinks etc...  Weight has improved his levels as well.

Edited by Divine33, 13 November 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#7 lafonda

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Thanks everyone.

Appreciate the responses.

My diet/lifestyle etc are pretty horrible currently. I am very overweight, obviously that will need to change.

My GP said regardless of what happens tomorrow I need to live as though I did get a diagnoses.

#8 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hi OP. I have type 2. I had GD with my 3rd pregnancy and developed it 2 years after she was born.

My life style hasn't changed as much as it should. I am struggling with lots of family issues and being a busy mum. I find it hard sticking to what I am supposed to eat. Also need to loose weight. I have to go and get another GTT done shortly and I supsct I will need to on tablets.

Good luck for tomorrow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.