Letter opened intended for landlord
What would you do...

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 StilettoMum

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Ok, a letter arrives in your postbox, the address panel was upside down, you only notice address as yours and in innocence you opened it up.

The letter is addressed to your landlord (specifically the landlord's wife by name) and the contents of the letter detail that her husband should cease sexually harrassing women or a collective of women would take action.

To complicate the matter you know wife as she is a friend.

What would you do?

Added to clarify no return address provided.

Edited by StilettoMum, 12 November 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#2 PatG

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Seal it back up and return to sender

#3 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

Return to sender or forward on, they wont know you opened it and know about it if you return to sender though.

#4 Ice Queen

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

ohmy.gif .  That is terrible.

Do you know the landlords address?  If so you could re-envelope it, correctly address it and post it as though nothing ever happened!  Throw away the other envelope.

#5 Ice Queen

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 12/11/2012, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seal it back up and return to sender

Yes but then the OP could get in trouble for tampering with mail.  It would be obvious she opened it.

#6 mum201

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Ehill @ 12/11/2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ohmy.gif .  That is terrible.

Do you know the landlords address?  If so you could re-envelope it, correctly address it and post it as though nothing ever happened!  Throw away the other envelope.

This!!!

#7 Frau Farbissina

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

I would return to sender (give them the correct address if you have it) and advise it was opened accidentally. I don't know what happens to people who accidentally open someone elses mail.  Probably nothing.

ETA - if there is no return address I would do the new envelope thing

Edited by Frau Farbissina, 12 November 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#8 casime

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Yes but then the OP could get in trouble for tampering with mail. It would be obvious she opened it

Yes, because there's a group of prosecutors just sitting around waiting to pounce on people who accidently open a letter delivered to their mailbox.

#9 kahm

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Well, first I'd post a question on the web...

But seriously, you've made an honest mistake and stumbled into something that isn't your business.  The way I see it, you've got two options:

1) Reseal, write "not at this address, return to sender" on it, which is true and pop it back in the post.

2) Reseal, cross out old address, write real address if you happen to know it, pop it back in the post.

I think that the first option is your best bet.  I don't imagine that writing to someone's wife about that person's alleged sexual harassment speaks of a particularly professional attempt to resolve a problem.  Awkward, sure, but your business?  Not really.

#10 StilettoMum

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

I'll clarify a few things.

- Wasn't me who opened letter, asking on behalf of a friend
- No return address and no identifying details in letter, so cannot return to sender

#11 cinderellainsydney

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

I would send it back to the sender with a note stating: opened in error due to addressee not being visible on envelope. please note I am a tenant since xxx and this person no longer resides at this address. You may also consider calling and stating the same to ensure someone actions it.

My DD has opened other people's mail a few times in her excitement, and I normally return to sender in a new envelope with a note to the effect. Most people ignore this and keep sending mail nevertheless even though advised the person doesn't live here many times.

#12 *Lib*

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Pretend it never arrived? Or forward it to them.

#13 StilettoMum

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

As mentioned no return address, plain envelope, plain paper, large typed words, no way to identify sender.

#14 Frau Farbissina

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

In that case, if this person wanted to send it on, I would put it in a new envelope and send it to the correct address. Depends how far they'd want to go. They could address it to their address and post it and then forward sealed envelope?? i dont know. What does the person think they should do?

#15 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Ooohhh, not good. I would RTS but I would also really struggle if the LL wife was a good friend not to say something.

RTS is the safest way for you, then say nothing.

#16 Gudrun

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

If they can't return to sender then throw it away.   Or take it to the post office for them to deal with.

#17 mum201

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

I don't see the problem, put it in a new envelope and next time you see the person, say 'hey this arrived in our mailbox for you', and pass it on.

#18 Ice Queen

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Oh yeah.....next time your landlord comes over for an inspection or to fix something, make sure you DH is home!

#19 BadCat

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (mum201 @ 12/11/2012, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see the problem, put it in a new envelope and next time you see the person, say 'hey this arrived in our mailbox for you', and pass it on.

Yep.  This would be me.

#20 TinMan

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

I'd bin it.

I can safely say there is not a group of prosecutors sitting around waiting to pounce on the person who opened the mail by accident.

I can also safely say that same group of prosecutors is interested if a complaint is made- for example you put it in a new envelope and sent it on. And this letter was part of an ongoing campaign against the LL.

Then depending on what else is being alleged the new envelope may be part of the forensic investigation.

Which brings me back to my first point- I'd bin it.

Your Honour, that is the case for the prosecution <sits down>.

#21 sunnigirl

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Bin it!

The fact there's no details on who sent it plus no identifying information in the letter makes it sound like someone is trying to cause problems between the LL and his wife!! If it is just some sicko, don't aid them by passing it on. If he's really sexually harrassing people I very much doubt this is the way they'd handle it!!!

#22 mnsr621

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

I would bin it, if it was real it would have been sent registered post, I agree with sunnigirl and think it is someone trying to cause trouble especially as it was addressed to the wife and not the husband.

#23 Type1TTC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Put it in a new envelope and address to your LL - the husband!  original.gif

#24 CallMeFeral

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Pass it on to her saying that you accidentally opened it before realising, but didn't get as far as looking inside...  ph34r.gif

#25 Harmonica

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I would seal it in a new envelope and address it to the correct address if you know it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.