How do you stay motivated when studying by distance ed?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thursday's Child

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

A little worried as I start my off campus degree next year.  I have studied off campus before but couldn't stay motivated.  I'm wondering how others here manage to stay motivated when you don't have to go to lectures or tutes?  On campus study is not an option for me at the moment.  

So how do you do it?

#2 Mixed_Spice

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

lol, i'm writing this while procrastinating from a 2,500 word lab report. But the thing that helps me is making schedules (and actually sticking to them), doing work in different locations i.e. might read outside on a beautiful day or in the bath. As well as making sure you have moments where you don't do anything! Such as study free sunday, free friday etc.

#3 Apageintime

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

I make sure i set aside a dedicated time for uni each week.

ie monday 5-9pm. and make sure I stick to that, no excuses.

I find engaging with the work reguarly and not just leaving it to exam or assignment time makes me stay focussed on it at least and keeps it at the front of my mind.

I also try and set up study groups with people doing the subject in my area if possible. Even if we only email each other its helpful for me.

#4 casime

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

I'm a terrible procrastinator, but I just keep trying to imagine how great things will be when I finally get finished and how much it will change mine and DSs life.  That's the only thing that keeps me going back to it.   Good luck.

#5 ~Nodnol~

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (casime @ 16/11/2012, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a terrible procrastinator, but I just keep trying to imagine how great things will be when I finally get finished and how much it will change mine and DSs life.  That's the only thing that keeps me going back to it.   Good luck.

Pretty much this. I remind myself it isn't just me that will benefit from my study, that helps keep me going.

Also, I keep to a fairly strict routine. All assignments are given a specific amount of time to get done and I just knuckle down and do it. It helps to have someone on your back a bit too- my husband is great at telling me to get back to work and off facebook.   ph34r.gif

And Facebook. If you can find a group that is doing your subject they can be invaluable at keeping you on course and to bounce ideas off of. I love my groups- there is always someone to answer a question that isn't really suitable for moodle or the lecturer.  wink.gif

That said, sometimes you will just think "screw it" and not even look at your books for a week. Which is o.k every now and again.

#6 Mrs Lost Wanderer

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

My DH did a degree via distance while looking after DD1 as I went back to work when she was 6 months old.

Other than keeping focussed on how great it would be once he finished like others have mentioned, he got onto the uni discussion boards to connect with other students. Once he made a few contacts, they would set up a skype call or a chat room meeting and talk about the assignments and bounce ideas off each other and then each go away and do however much of an assignment and then get together again. It made it all a lot less isolating and the deadline of meeting again meant that he didn't leave everything until the last minute.

Also, it turned out that some students lived within an hour from us so they were able to share text books and meet in person too.

I'm 99.9% sure that if he hadn't made those contacts with other students, he wouldn't have done nearly as well because he would have spent most of the time procrastinating alone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.