School lunch box suggestions pls

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 3inthebed

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

OK DS is FYOS next year. Can I have suggestions on the best brand/type of lunchbox to buy him? I saw some groovy looking Sistema boxes with lots of compartments and a bottle but I could imagine cleaning it would be irritating as the lids to all compartments dont come completely off.
What happened to the colourful Decor boxes we had as kids?

#2 SpaghettiMonster

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

DD is in 2012 FYOS and we never ended up using her compartmented systema lunch box, was too bulky in the communal prep fridge! We went with a barbie box, very basic but large enough for small morning tea and lunch (sandwich, fruit, cookies). Seems the other kids have same basic boxes too.

#3 Guest_zeus359_*

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Plain decor boxes here, no compartments. They hold up to the bashing their receive, i've been using the same ones for 6 years now ever since they went to daycare for the first time.

#4 mombasa

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

We started off with a sistema compartment lunchbox and it drove me nuts, we now have a smiggle insulated zip 'case' with a few small smash gel ice packs, it has been much better and fits so much stuff.

#5 michelle120773

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

DS is FYOS 2013 and we have just bought the nude food lunch box with 3 separate compartments plus an extra snack set, smash drink bottle, gel packs and skin....he had to have the exact same thing that his big cousin who is 12 has!!!! Hero worship at hand!

We also had to buy a banana keeper because "I like bananas mummy but I don't like them smooshed"  Made perfect sense to me! original.gif

#6 katrina24

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

I use one of the big cooler bags for my girls.  Inside I use Tupperware sandwich keepers and a whole bunch of little containers (mainly decor or nude food) with an ice brick.. I also have the nude food lunch boxes with a compartment for sandwich/salad up one end and room for 2 little pots up the other. My girls are big eaters so we only use the old brightly coloured decor boxes for 1/2 day activities.

#7 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Slightly off topic but where do you get the small gel packs from?

My DS has a Skylanders insulated bag which fits a small lunchbox like a Tupperware sandwich keeper or a bit larger (like the Decor version which is deeper), plus a drink bottle and fruit/snack.  

#8 wenchwitch

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Insulated bags are much more practical original.gif

#9 Kay1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Find out if your child's school have 'rules'. We were asked to send recess and lunch in two separate containers as they took recess to another area to eat. So the mega compartment lunchboxes I'd bought were no good. Instead I use a cooler bag with the Sistema hinged lid boxes in them. They don't last very long but they are cheap. Unfortunately Woolies seems to have stopped stocking them and I've almost run out so I"ll have to change brands soon.

#10 michelle120773

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

NotBitzerMaloney the smash gel packs were $2 for a pack of 2 at Kmart

#11 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

Thanks - couldn't find any at my local Woolworths. Off to KMart!

#12 regandrog

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

I second that you shouldn't buy any lunch boxes, special ones anyway, until you know how the school and teacher manage eating arrangments.

My kids' teachers have all done it slightly differently, we have fruito, recess and lunch. What works for us is having separate containers for each meal break, so it is flexible.

Fruito can either be brought into class separately and put on thier desk or on a shelf or kept in their bags, if they had their fruit in a big container then it would take up half the desk and probably end up open on th floor. Recess and lunch can be eaten at various different places and the containers either returned to thier bags or just piled near the door.

Given at our school recess is relatively short, my kids prefer to have something they can access and eat reall quick so they can go play quicker, so a separate container works well for that too.

#13 michelle120773

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

We were lucky to have to have been given instructions by the school already....we have to have one piece of raw fruit in the front pocket of their school bag which is for fruit snack around 10am.  They then need play lunch and lunch in seperate containers.

#14 Monket

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

I bought Boxy lunch boxes this year for both kids.  They have a divided section as well as two containers that slot in over the sandwich area to keep it together! They are large enough for a variety of foods, the containers are really easy to open but are watertight and they are really robust.  They still look brand new even as we are nearing the end of Term 4.

#15 FeralBob!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (michelle120773 @ 14/11/2012, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We were lucky to have to have been given instructions by the school already....we have to have one piece of raw fruit in the front pocket of their school bag which is for fruit snack around 10am.  They then need play lunch and lunch in seperate containers.

This. So DD's fruit snack goes in a little sistema container (I cut up an apple, she gets a quarter for fruit snack, a half at lunch and I eat the other quarter when I'm making it).

Her recess, generally either a muffin or a slice of cheese cut in 4 and crackers goes in one of these and her lunch (sandwich and 1/2 apple) goes in this

ETA Peters of Kensington also stocks the small chiller snack boxes original.gif

Edited by BobTheKelpie, 14 November 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#16 mumof3kidlets

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

smiggle insulated lunch bag.

#17 -*meh*-

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

my boys usually use a zip up bag... although DS2's zip broke a few weeks ago so he has been using a metal spiderman tin with handle he brought at an expo and loves using that.

#18 sunflowers81

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

I have found wonderful lunchboxes and accessories at Daiso. I use a lunchbox from Daiso for my kids - it has 4 compartments so I put sandwiches in a couple of compartments and then fill the others with fruit and veg pieces.
Hope that helps!

#19 shine

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

I use lock&lock containers. I have tried decor and sistema and a whole bunch of others but lock&lock do not leak at all. I have a whole variety of shapes and sizes depending on what I am adding to the lunch box that day. I then just add it all to a cool bag lunch box with an ice block.

I can even make salad and add balsamic vinegar dressing for my lunch and it survives the ride on the train to work. Would never buy a different brand again.

http://www.locknlock.com.au/

#20 Luckybee

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Aaah time to think of school lunches again soon!  

I have used a Laptop Lunch box for my little girl for the last 2 years and it's still in good enough shape to go for another.  It's a bento style lunchbox which suits us really well as I dont like to pack pre-packaged foods.

My little boy who starts school this year has one too.  I got mine at http://www.lunchboxeswithlove.com/  Some great ideas there too for making lunches fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.