Starting Kindy in Hills District Sydney
trying to find THE right school

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 swampii

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

My little one starts Kindy next year and we will be in Sydney by then. I don't know anyone there to get any feedback from regarding schools.
I haven't even found a place to live yet, but the possible catchment areas will include Ironbark Primary, or Matthew Pearce.
I am also looking at private and have an appointment with Rouse Hill Anglican, but then have just been recommended to William Clarke or Arndell (bit of a drive I know) and Our Lady of the Angels. She is currently in a private pre-prep school, and thrives in it. So I am considering all options.

Any advice or comments or suggestions most welcome and greatly appreciated.

#2 Libster

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

You'll probably have great difficulty getting your child into William Clarke but it's worth a try I suppose. I have heard good things about Our Lady of the Rosary at Kellyville but if your child is not Catholic then you might have trouble getting in there too. I have heard that Ironbark Ridge is quite good so it might be worth looking into that school further?

#3 swampii

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for that.
It is such a minefield, and such a big decision.
I have just been suggested Annangrove public as a great little school too.

#4 No girls here

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

All the public primary schools in the Baulkham Hills/Winston Hills area are good.  

I know a few people with kids at Rouse Hill Anglican and William Clarke, and they seem to be happy.

#5 twinboys

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

We have just gone through this - so stressful when moving to a new and totally unknown area.

We have bought a house in Kings Langley and we used a buyers advocate who was invaluable in helping us find a house and helping us disregard houses purely for the school zones and any commute issues for my husbands work

She had lived and worked as a teacher in her previous profession,in the Hills area so she knew exactly where we should look.

We fall into the catchment of Kings Langley public school from which all accounts should be a good school for us. She was really positive about this school and all I can do is trust her judgement!

#6 AMPSyd

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

Matthew Pearce, from what I have heard, is an awesome school and people move into the catchment area just to get into that school.

Twinboys - Kings Langley Public is an awesome school as well, one of the best (if not the best) in that area. It is biggist (around 700 kids) but really the teachers seem to know every student. You will start to refer to Kings Langley Public School as KLPS. The community feel of the school is great as well and there are lots of things the students can do - band, choirs, dance groups, sports. I may see you around the traps  biggrin.gif

High Schools in the Kings Langley area aren't so good and you may need to look at private for High School.

Edited by AMPSyd, 14 November 2012 - 05:48 AM.

#7 almostoutnumbered

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

Edited by almostoutnumbered, 14 June 2014 - 08:06 PM.

#8 Gumbette

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

Have you considered The Seventh Day Adventist College? Apparently a great school with small class sizes. My boss can't stop raving about it. Fees are lower than William Clarke too.

#9 Unatheowl

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (Gumbette @ 14/11/2012, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you considered The Seventh Day Adventist College? Apparently a great school with small class sizes. My boss can't stop raving about it. Fees are lower than William Clarke too.

I second this.  When I was in Kindy I went to the SDA school in Wahroonga.  They are geuninely nurturing schools.

We are in the Hills and DS is going to Oakhill Drive.  Its an excellent school but hard to get in if you're out of the catchment.  Most of the public schools in that area are excellent, with many of them being selective in high school.

#10 Ninakitten

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

My girls go to Our Lady of the Angels and we couldn't be any happier. We moved there from the local neighbouring primary school and the girls haven't looked back. Good luck with your decision.

#11 twinboys

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

Doesn't Seven Hills ps catchment include parts of Kings Langley?
This was a school that we could have enrolled in if we had of bought one house in the area.
In the end we preffered to keep the extra $70k we needed in our pockets and settle for a house on the wrong side of Windsor rd  biggrin.gif

#12 swampii

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

wow thanks for all that information.

trying to find a house and a school is a damn hard task at the moment. The house we were applying for was rented 'off the books'. Real estate agents clearly have no scruples in lying to people!

Next one on the list has John Palmer as the local PS....

#13 swampii

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

Ferdinand, which school is VRPS ?

#14 kay11

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

I used to live in Crestwood and know my neighbours were happy with Crestwood primary.

#15 swampii

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

Trying to find a halfway decent real estate agent seems to be the bigger issue at the moment.
My God they are dreadfully useless and unhelpful.

#16 AMPSyd

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

To the questions re catchment areas in Kings Langley - not all of Kings Langley is in the catchment of Kings Langley Public - some streets closer to Seven Hills Road is in the catchment of Seven Hills North Public School and some of Kings Langley which is closer to Lalor Park is in the catchment of Vardys Road Public.

Good luck OP finding a new house. I love living on the "wrong side" of Windsot Road (never heard of that one before) but if you want the Hills area best look in Kellyville, Rouse Hill, Castle Hill, Baulkham Hills etc. At Kings Langley we are in the catchment of Blacktown Boys and Girls (no one goes there) and the High School that most go to is Crestwood High. Seven Hills High is close but  also has a REALLY bad reputation. I am looking at private.

#17 tibs

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

Crestwood High is getting impossible to get into out of area as is Model Farms so I would steer clear of the "wrong side of Windsor road" for that reason alone, unless you intend to go private for high school which of course is a perfectly valid choice  original.gif .  As for Kings Langley public it is considered a good school "for the area" aka for Blacktown, and it does have a good reputation for Blacktown but the primary schools in the Hills District have better reputations.  I think best house in the worst street is the saying and for around the same money or not too much more I'd be inclined to look for the worst house in the best street i.e. other side of Windsor Road maybe Baulkham Hills/Winston Hills.  Of course Castle Hill is great but at the more expensive end, not sure about your budget.  I think buying in Seven Hills/Lalor Park is a different story as they are considerably cheaper so may be worth the trade off as you are close to the Hills District but have an extra $200k in your pocket but Kings Langley is the worst of both worlds - wrong postcode and high price tag.  

VRPS = Vardy's Road public school which is in Seven Hills.  As a PP said Seven Hills has lots of primary schools - Seven Hills, Seven Hills North, Seven Hills West, Bert Oldfield, The Meadows, Vardy's Road are all in Seven Hills, there is also Kings Langley Public and Lalor Park Public and all those schools are in the 2147 postcode so lots of primary schools plus Hills Sports High and Seven Hills High are also in Seven Hills.

Good luck with your search OP  biggrin.gif

#18 tibs

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

OP one other thing that might be important especially if you are renting, some of the schools in the Hills District won't take siblings if you have moved out of the catchment so if you also have younger children and might move again at some stage this could be something worth asking - I know Matthew Pearce have that policy and Winston Hills and Jasper Road are talking about it too, not sure if it has come in yet though.

#19 swampii

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

At this stage we are renting, keeping our other house incase it doesn't work out in Sydney.

Finding a house is proving very difficult. So I have enrolled her at Rouse Hill Anglican, have an interview with them next week.
Hubby looked at a place yesterday and the local school was Samuel Gilbert.

Trying to set up 3 days of house inspections next week, and then I will know what school. But I am worried about leaving it too late and not being organised for her first day at school, which is super important to me.

It's so hard doing it remotely.

#20 WhatWouldBuffyDo?

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Can't add anything useful to discussion as we moved out of Kings Langley 5 years ago after living there for 18 months.

Just that I miss the area and this discussion is making me a little bit sad. sad.gif  

We only lived in Sydney for DHs work for 18 months.  We lived at the Seven Hills Rd/Old Windsor road end of KL, and absolutely loved it.  The area was beautiful, it was very family friendly and the people were lovely.

I also worked at one of the Catholic primary schools in Blacktown which was an awesome school.  Had we stayed I would have put my DDs there without hesitation.

Have heard good things about all three schools that take kids from KL (Seven Hills North, Kings Langley and Vardy's Road)  

Good luck  OP

#21 rob^2

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Samuel Gilbert has a good reputation. But be wary of where the house is. If it is in the Kings Rd area, (kellyville end of castle hill) there is heaps of traffic trying to get onto Showground Rd between 8:20 and 9:00.  Sherwood Ridge Primary School in Kellyville is very good, and there are currently rentals available in the area, including walking distance.

#22 babyfie

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

My dd will be starting at John Palmer PS next year and I've been getting great things about it so far. It's fairly new (2008) but the school is expanding rapidly due to the growing of it's local area (the ponds and surrounding). The Ponds itself is a good new area to get into but only part of it is in the catchment area.

#23 gr8atshopping

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Does anyone have anything to share about Excelsior Public School in Castle Hill? Undecisive between starting my son there next year (or the year after as he is a JUNE baby) or at William Clarke College.

#24 tibs

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (gr8atshopping @ 28/02/2013, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone have anything to share about Excelsior Public School in Castle Hill? Undecisive between starting my son there next year (or the year after as he is a JUNE baby) or at William Clarke College.

I'd go through the enrolment process at William Clarke if I were you as it doesn't hurt to have options.  Plus it is tough to get into these days I have a couple of friends who put their children down practically at birth and didn't get in for kindergarten this year, one of them even went to the school herself!  I haven't heard anything bad about Excelsior Public but then I don't know anyone who goes there so I haven't heard much about it at all original.gif

#25 Mumof1OneontheWay

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

I know one family at Excelsior Public and they are very happy. Small, nurturing school. We are in Castle Hill PS catchment does anyone have family/friends there? Personally I would send public for primary school and save your money for high school.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.