Hate driving on the highway

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ~iMum~

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

A few years back we were driving on the highway and were sideswiped by a truck that overtook us (minor damage, no injuries). Since then I've been getting more and more afraid of trucks when I'm driving, particularly if they are coming up behind me or towards me on 2 laned highways with no shoulders. I live in a regional area, so the stress this causes me is becoming a PITA. I'm by no means a bad driver, and am aware of the capabilities of my car and my ability to drive it. I'm also aware, and generally comfortable with, my many and varied neuroses (I hate flying (pass the drugs) and had an elevator fear for a few years there). I have recently taken a casual job which is 50km out of town and about 15 minutes of the trip is on a 2 laned highway with no shoulder (ie no white line on the left). 100km is the posted speed and there are four 'bridges' I have to cross on this stretch of road. The bridges don't have railings, just concrete about a foot up each side.

I've taken this job to force myself to have to do the drive once or twice a week, figuring exposure is the best form of therapy. So, does anyone else have the same problem, or similar? What do you do to get yourself through it.

Also, I used to take anti anxiety medication, but weaned off it (under medical supervision) earlier this year. I figure I'm just prone to being more neurotic than your average Joe Blo and should find a better, more sustainable, way to deal with it original.gif

Edited by whathousework?, 13 November 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#2 Tobias'smum

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

a friend had a similar fear so she got in contact to someonewho drove a truck and went on a few rides with them and while not completly cured she is alot more comfortable near a truck on the road

#3 Feralishous

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

im not a fan of driving in the city, but I just didnt drive or 2 years, so no help here sorry

#4 somila

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

I was knocked off my bike by a car when I was a teenager and for many months afterward would flinch when I saw a car coming from the left in my peripheral vision.  Eventually this automatic (and perfectly understandable) response went away.

I don't like driving to unfamiliar places on major roadways (find it very stressful) so if I absolutely have to, I try to do a dummy run when I have no deadlines to meet on a quiet day or time of day.  

Not sure if there are any specific times when trucks are less common, and you can practise the route, observing the road width etc and your options for staying safe if a truck approaches?  

I also find talking to myself (yes, another sign of madness), about what I am observing on the road and what I have to do, is helpful.  Saw this on a show about driver training for police - the ones that do chases etc.

Best wishes.

#5 Yomumma

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

I've very recently developed a bit of a fear of highway driving after a near accident recently..No advice other than to drive a bit slower..

#6 *LucyE*

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

No advice other than to drive a bit slower..

Unless speed was a contributing factor to your accident, I don't see how a blanket approach of driving slower is useful?  Unnecessarily slow drivers contribute to accidents too.

OP, what about doing a defensive driving refresher course?  

There are tips and etiquette for most roads that makes driving a more pleasant experience for all. I learned to drive on roads with loads of big trucks so picked up tips subconsciously watching my parents drive. I noticed some of my friends had no idea when I drove with them.

My DH taught me some more about driving on regional country roads. It's about understanding other road users so you can prempt what they need/will do and then adjust your driving accordingly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.