Anchor Points in 2010 Hilux

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bunny Mumma

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

We have a 2010 Hilux which only has 2 anchor points, and we are expecting baby #3. We've tried getting another anchor point installed by an authorised child restraint fitting station and they all say it's illegal and can't be done unless by an engineer. We've tried several engineers who have all said it can't be done. We have heard of several people on various forums who have had a 3rd anchor point successfully installed in this model hilux. Has anyone here had that done? If so, where/who has installed it for you? We are desperate to keep the car as DH and I can't agree on a replacement! rolleyes.gif

#2 ras500

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

We have an older hilux but planned to upgrade when we fell Pg with #3 but were told by Toyota and various Toyota dealers that you cannot put a 3rd anchor point in legally in Hilux's of any year model, so we had to buy a different car sad.gif

#3 2anewme

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

The 2012 Hilux has spots for 3 restraints - the middle seat however is only a lap belt so not much use really

#4 Bunny Mumma

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Thanks ras500. I guess that solves that problem. What car did you end up getting? We're thinking it'll have to be a landcruiser (DH is deadset toyota man).

#5 azalia

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

In any model bar the brand new one, you can only anchor 2 points. The middle seat is a lap only though so fairly useless for most car seats.

It can however be used for some capsules, but as soon as you need a proper seat in there you will not be able to use it.  

Dh has a 2008 Hilux, we can only ever have 2 kids in there, so it doenst get driven much. He will be changing over to a Landcruiser in the coming year. I have a Kluger (we are also avid Toyota drivers!)

#6 midstudentcatie

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

We have a 4Runner, and have the same problem, only two anchor points (I do school pick-ups drop-offs for work, so sometimes having three would be handy!). From memory it's something to do with the way the middle seat splits, it's 50/50 in our car instead of 60/40 or 70/30. We're avid Toyota people as well, will be upgrading to a 76 series LandCruiser for DP (Troop-Carrier style but 4 door, I love them!) and a Rav4 for me in a few years.

#7 Bunny Mumma

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

Our back seat is not split at all, it's one piece. So that's not the issue. The only thing we can think of is there's a small bracket in the middle behind the seat to hook a strap onto to when you want the seat held up permanently. I don't believe a car seat strap would interfere with this. Anyway, we'll look at getting a 100 series Landcruiser instead. Thanks for all your help!

#8 machine

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

Sorry to thread crap but I wanted to ask how you feel about the Kluger - lots of room for the kids, do you take it off road at all?  I'm thinking about getting one.

QUOTE (azalia @ 15/11/2012, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In any model bar the brand new one, you can only anchor 2 points. The middle seat is a lap only though so fairly useless for most car seats.

It can however be used for some capsules, but as soon as you need a proper seat in there you will not be able to use it.  

Dh has a 2008 Hilux, we can only ever have 2 kids in there, so it doenst get driven much. He will be changing over to a Landcruiser in the coming year. I have a Kluger (we are also avid Toyota drivers!)

#9 ras500

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Bunny Mumma
We ended up with a new Kluger, we are toyota people too, We still have the hilux (traded a Rav 4) as DS1 will be 7 a few months after #3 is born so for offroading we can use this, but I wanted him still in a booster 99$ of the time, we would have loved a Prado or Landcruiser, but wanted a newish diesal and they are bringing big $, so decided with already having a 'proper' 4WD we'd get the Kluger

Machine
Love the Kluger, it is as big as a prado in the 2nd row of seaters and slighty bigger in the 3rd row, and when folded down has a massive boot, so much room between the 1st and 2nd row of seats I can now no longer reach my DS2 to hand his stuff LOL.
I don't think I'd take it offroad as we have a 'real 4wd' and would use it so now sure how they'd go, prob depends on how rough, dirt or sand etc

#10 azalia

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hi Machine,

We got the AWD Kluger, I think we would take it off road but not often. My friend has taken hers quite a bit and she says it has peformed fine.

As far as room goes, I had a Rav4 before this and only upgraded to the bigger car for more seats, I loved the Rav 4 and fitted 3 car seats perfectly across the back. In the Kluger its a lot tighter. I think its because the seats are captain chairs and because the middle seat is completely removable its about 15cm shorter than the outer two. I wanted the ability to be able to pick up friends kids or have an extra in my car, and also if we have #4, I will put the older two into the back and the younger two into the second row. I have had this car set up with DS1 in a booster in the third row and the two younger in the second row anchored on the outer sides and the middle seat completly removed so that there is easy access to the back for DS1. Because of this there is very little boot room. My pram wouldnt fit so I sold it and got a second hand MB Swift, its the ONLY pram that would fit behind the third row. When I food shop all the food goes on the passenger side or under all the kids feet, not ideal, but obviously you loose your boot when you use the third row and have a pram in.

For last week we tried to have three car seats across the back and it was nothing short of a nightmare. It would be fine if you have 3 in 5 point harnesses, but as soon as you have one using a booster with a seatbelt its near impossible to get that seat belt done up, and I am using the narrowist seats on the market for my outer two seats and a Hiliner for the booster. Ds1 could not get the seat belt done up nor could hubbie and it took me a lot of mucking around and sore hands to get it done up.

Aside from that I do love the car, and it has lots of perks - kids love the tv which is handy if we have long trips and it drives well. Im only getting 14.2kms to a litre, but I am on full city roads, often stop start. In the country I got 9.2.  Hope that helps original.gif

#11 machine

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I only just came back to this.  Thanks so much to the two of you.  I think OH has decided against the Kluger now and wants a diesel and 4WD.  I still love the Kluger.  It feels good to drive and I enjoy the comfort inside.  The second row of seats is a bit of a p*sser.  You would think with the 'family car' that the back seats could easily fit three across.

#12 azalia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

If you get one, make sure you get after a 2010 model. The ones prior to 2011 do not have a split fold 3rd row.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.