suburbs to rent or buy in around perth

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Chazonator

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi,

My hubby has applied for a job in Perth and has just finished up his first interview with the company. Anyway if he did end up getting the position basically we would have to rent first before we bought anything as we want to find a really nice and family friendly suburb that i'd feel comfortable walking around and it also has to be close to public transport for hubby.
We have been thinking Joondalup and possibly some areas around cockburn station but the lady in the interview doesnt seem to think Joondalup is all that great.

Kids are not at school age yet maybe another year off for the older one, i wouldnt mind being near an occasional care centre or even a gym with a creche facility, close to shops, doctors etc

Im a tad nervous he may not get the job but if he does it'll be a big move from here in melb to over to perth eekk!

#2 ~ky~

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

If he is going to use public transport, then you can basically choose most areas in Perth as the public transport is generally clean, timely and quite reasonably priced. There is also a good transit police presence at night making it reasonably safe too.

We are south of the river (SOR) in the Rockingham region and it only takes us approx 35 minutes to the CBD.

Personally, I don't like Joondalup and find Cockburn not overly nice, but that is just my impression. I love Rockingham as it has a nice, light, airy seaside village type of feel especially Port Kennedy where we are.

#3 Chazonator

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

For me when I was originally researching suburbs I chose the Rockingham area it seems to have a nice beach and the rentals are a little cheaper than the Joondalup area. why dont you like the NOR areas?
Could you suggest a few other SOR areas that are quite safe and easy to travel around?
Ive seen on a different forum someone had mentioned Baldivis? sorry I may have spelt that wrong and its ment to be having a water park built there in the future.
My hubby is so wanting Joondalup because its apparently ment to be a newer family area they developed  it has the tafe, uni, sports centre, beach and other bits n pieces.

He basically said if he gets the job he'll be trying to find a rental asap so he needs me to start finding the right area soon as he doesnt want to stay in a hotel for a long amount of time!

#4 Chazonator

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

by the way your daughter in the sig looks sooo cute!!

#5 ~Jot~

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Where would he be working? Ellenbrook is a really lovely suburb,  it's a newer community orientated suburb, it's really friendly and has everything you need. Only thing is it's not as close to the beach.

Perthites are a funny bunch, most of us tend to prefer either SOR or NOR. I've always lived NOR and prefer it this way. You might be better off telling us where your DH will be working and thinking of places around there. There's a looong way between Joondalup and Rockingham!

#6 Chazonator

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

He'll be working in the CBD and will depend on public transport to get to and from work as we only have 1 car. Currently where we live in melb he takes the train and its about a 45-50min journey so he's not a stranger to the pt situation and we also live near the beach which is really nice with the seabreeze etc. but isnt a total must if we lived in Perth.. just as long as the house has air con lol!

On a different note is there fruit n veg markets and also a wholesale meat n poultry place up near Tapping/ Joon area?

#7 Feral Becky

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

I love the Maylands/Bayswater areas.

#8 Chardonnay Buffay

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

ok so having come from Melbourne myself, where the train system is AWESOME, you definitely want to be near a train station not a bus stop. Perth buses are the stuff of vertigo! We bought in Carlisle - Oats Street has a train station, only 10 minutes to the CBD on the express train. WIN!!

#9 oliboli

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

We are in Claremont, only 8kms to the CBD, with great public transport (train and bus). Also very close to Cottesloe Beach and Swan River, and not far from Fremantle. Lots of great schools, parks, play groups and child care. Great shopping, medical facilities and gyms etc.  Very safe and family friendly original.gif

#10 Chazonator

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

hahaha ok yes the train system is awesome-ish over here we are on the frankston line so it's not too bad . how did you go with the transition from here in melb to perth? was driving around much hassle?
they dont have an aldi over there so ill miss out on my cheap nappies and other products sad.gif

#11 charlie23

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hey OP

DH & I were in this position in Jan this year. I also asked EB for the vast knowledge on where is good places to live & got a huge variation as well! Here are the threads that I started - Perth 1, Perth 2 & Perth 3

THINGS TO CONSIDER

What is your budget for rentals
If you want close to the city then expect to pay for it.

Where is your DH working?
(Mine works in the CBD but is also up the Pilbara for FIFO. So he wanted to be close to a Train station)

What amenities do you want to be near?

I would highly suggest that wherever you end up try and get a ducted Reverse cycle A/c, Evaporative which is what most places have doesn't work in high humidity & you WILL need AC over here original.gif

--------
I looked NOR & SOR, but settled on SOR as my parents are in Canning Vale. The suburbs I considered were:
Canning Vale
Atwell
Aubin Grove
Wellard
Bertram (newer development areas)
Baldivis

SOR areas that I also looked at included Kwinana, Callista, Parmelia, Orelia, Waikiki, Warnbro, Rockingham, Port Kennedy & Secret Harbour but there were either no suitable rentals or weren't nice areas where the rentals were.

In the end it was $$ that finally decided us on where we moved & the brand new school in the area for DD. We are in a Brand New 4 x 2 in Baldivis at under $450 a week. We are 8 mins drive to the train station.

We have a fruit / veg / meat place near us called The Spudshed, I think there are a couple around Perth.

I am happy with where we are even though "most" Perthies think we live too far away from Perth! It takes me about 45-50 mins to drive into the CBD if I need to go in there, otherwise 35mins by train.

We also get great breezes here whereas Mum & Dad who are in Canning Vale get none!

You will also need to think about Airport noise, the airport here doesn't have a curfew so planes land all day & night. I will admit that in Canning Vale where I stayed, the big planes landing flight path is directly overhead (you can nearly see the people waving at you!) and after a few weeks you do get used to it, although the inbound 2am flight would almost always wake me up.

I have lived in Sydney, Brisbane, Central QLD and lots of places in between, so am used to driving around & TBH Perth isn't that big!

Good Luck.

Edited by charlie23, 14 November 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#12 Cheryl_v

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

Baldivis is quite nice, it's a fairly new area which is expanding rapidly and still relatively cheap to both rent and buy.  The train station near it is the same one as for Port Kennedy, Warnbro station, which is the second last stop on the Perth to Mandurah line.  The train station parking is a little bit lacking but the trains run pretty regularly and there has been extra parking added at the Rockingham station.

I've only lived in Perth for 2 years and don't know much about different areas but if I had to choose I wouldn't be living in Port Kennedy again, mostly because I feel like it's a long way from everywhere except the beach.  Previously I've lived in several different parts of Sydney and the centre of Darwin, Port Kennedy is nothing like either of them really.

#13 Chazonator

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

I think with rent we can prob only afford max $450pw so this may limit us a bit as to where we could go. I just looked up Claremont and there was nothing 3br upwards avail for under $450pm

will look into Baldivis

what does 4x2 house mean? is it 4br plus 2bathrooms?

#14 SeaPrincess

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (~Jot~ @ 14/11/2012, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perthites are a funny bunch, most of us tend to prefer either SOR or NOR. I've always lived NOR and prefer it this way. You might be better off telling us where your DH will be working and thinking of places around there. There's a looong way between Joondalup and Rockingham!

This is so true.  I am a SOR girl!
Charlie23 has covered everything really well, and cost is a huge factor.  The amount of rent you are willing to pay will have a major impact on where you can rent.

Will there be any relocation assistance? I know when we moved to WA when I was a child, we had rent paid for 3 months, and when we moved back from the NT 3 years ago, DH's work paid for a serviced apartment for 6-8 weeks.  (I wouldn't recommend where we stayed though). It just might give you the opportunity to get here, have a look around and focus your search on an area.

R

#15 WYSIWYG

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

NOR is WAY too busy. We moved from the Joondalup area purely for that reason initially.
We now live SOR, in Baldivis. LOVE it. It's quiet, not so rushed, close to schools, doctors, shops, public transport, beach. The suburb is really family friendly and reasonably priced. Ticks all the boxes for us and we won't be moving away from here anytime soon (and if we do, it will be interstate).

#16 charlie23

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

A 4x2 is 4 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms.

Also be aware that in some of the newer housing estate rentals have carports & not full garages...it drove me insane when I was looking at rentals to rock up and find it was a carport.

Here is current listings in the Baldivis area for under $450 - Rentals

I will also mention that the bus goes through Baldivis every hour to the train station.

I also considered Armadale but it really didn't tick many boxes for me.

Edited by charlie23, 14 November 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#17 Cranky Kitten

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Yep, 4 bed 2 bath.

Have a look at Willetton, Rossmoyne, Bull Creek and surrounding areas. I'm in Willetton, it's the sort of area where people have swing sets and trampolines in the front yard as often as the back yard on quieter streets and the kids all play in the street. Willetton and Rossmoyne Senior High Schools are two of the most highly regarded public schools in the state and Bull Creek train station is really close - all told our commute is 20-30 mins to the city.

Good luck with Claremont, the western suburbs are the "higher end" of town - crazily expensive in other words!

#18 jdlady51

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

I'm in Victoria Park, SOR and love it! Rent is a tad higher here, when we rented we were in Cannington, very close to the train line, so would be easy for your Husband to commute in. I wouldn't have bought in Cannington though.

Vic Park has the cafe strip, we have Manning Fruit and Veg market about 5 minutes away every Sat morning which is great for fresh produce.

Schools.. the primary schools in the area are generally good, although I haven't heard good things about the 2 local high schools (we are going private for that reason).

#19 ~ppp~

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

As PPs have said you basically divide perth into NOR and SOR. If you are NOR the train line goes up to Joondalup way and good mid range suburbs along the way near trains stations would be greenwood/Kingsley/Duncraig/padbury.. These suburbs are all close to beach (5-10min) and with quick good access to the CBD.
The western suburbs (close to city but north of river) like Claremont, nedlands etc are the exxy suburbs and some are well serviced by trains but others aren't.
South of the river there are midrange suburbs like bull creek/Murdoch/Leeming which are well situated with good schools and good access to train services but no so close to the beach

Edited by knowsnotmuch, 15 November 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#20 Chazonator

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

No they made it pretty clear in the interview that there wont be any relocation support he would have to pay for it all himself but they are willing to be flexible on him leaving early and taking time off to go check out houses and to bring us over when the time comes. They seem to want someone in the position before xmas but hes already told them hed need to give his current employer 4wks notice.

hopefully he will hear back from the company by friday... maybe he might get a second interview maybe he wont who know's?!

#21 kay11

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

We moved over from Sydney last year and settled on Willetton. It's a family area, a bit older than some of the other suburbs mentioned here and a bit further from the beach, but close-ish to the CBD (husband gets there in 30 minutes on bus and train) and has some good schools.

#22 ~ky~

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (Chazonator @ 14/11/2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
by the way your daughter in the sig looks sooo cute!!

Thank you ... She is now nearly 10 months and currently covered in spots due to roseola lol.

I am a bit biased towards SOR due to my need to not be jammed into a house with the other houses built almost on top of it. I also find that the traffic NOR tends to be less courteous and extremely congested.

Baldivis is ok but it's a relatively new area with smaller blocks. It is great being so close to the freeway though.

Yes, the Rockingham region is a fair distance by road from a lot of Perth but access to most areas is by Freeway/highway so pretty straight forward rather than weaving through suburbs. It's not the place to live if you need the big city feel.

As I said, public transport is great down here - I didn't ave a car all through my last pregnancy and due to being high risk, had to travel weekly to Subiaco and back for appointments and it was never a chore. Bus drivers are so courteous when you are travelling with kids and a pram. My DH is FIFO so the kids and I go all over the place on our own and have never had any issues.

I've only lived in WA for just less than 3 years and absolutely love it here.

#23 ~ky~

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Btw ... If you are looking for an inexpensive way to get everything over here, consider using Dialabox. They drop a shipping container off to you which you pack and then they drop it off at your new home and leave it for 24-48 hours so you can unpack it. It was hassle free and easy for us.

#24 noonehere

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

We are south perth (armadale and surrounds)

I would choose roleystone, byford, canningvale and willeton

#25 PurpleNess

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

NOR here  
Check out Kingsley, Madeley, Darch, Woodvale & Greenwood.
All easy access to the train  & freeway( Joondalup Line) & about 20Kms north of the city.

Wouldn't live south if you paid me lol.... but I have many friends who do:-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.