come on baby
go to bed!

4 replies to this topic

#1 José

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

I have been trying to put baby - 5 weeks- to bed but every time I put him down he screams. The Room is a good temp. His nappy doesn't need changing I offer him gte breast and he isn't hungry so  won't take it. We try a routine including bath but that doesn't stop  him from screaming when I pur him down. He is currently asleep on my chest. I want to put hints to bed so I can get some sleep.

#2 gvn

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

I think he is going through a growth spurt. Can you have a snooze while he is on you so you both can get some rest?

#3 PurpleNess

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

He's just a little baby.
Sometimes they just want to be held & hear your heart beat.  Is he swaddled?
Try to snooze whilst he is,  can your partner tag team with you so you both get some sleep.
Have you tried / are you open to safe co sleeping, might help on these hard nights. I don't co sleep with my son all the time but if he's having a tough night I'm happy to.

The trick is to learn when your bub is in a very deep sleep before trying a transfer...newborns have short sleep cycles so it's a bit of trial & error.

You're doing a great job, hang in there & try to go with the flow, let him lead you, you're all he knows right now.

Oh also I saw this the other day & wish I'd seen it when my one was 5 weeks old! Might help you figure out what he needs. If he's happy in an upright position he may need burping or have a bit of gas...hope it helps you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv3-74EFtWQ - or google Priscilla Dunstan - Baby language - the 5 cries.

Edited by PurpleNess, 14 November 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#4 José

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:59 AM

I don't really like the idea of co sleeping. I worry that  something will happen to him; like I'll drop him- if I fall asleep with him on me. DH is supportive but works during the day and I feel bad sending him to work sleep deprived when at lest I have a chance of napping during the day. I'm using the love to dress swaddle as ds was getting out of the wraps. It seems that sometimes ds is in a deep sleep when I put him down but he still wakes. He is asleep on me again now. I think he is having trouble With gas. I bought something from the chemist to help but it doesn't seem to be helping right now. I do cycle his legs but I haven't noticed that helping either.

#5 Guest_divineM_*

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

You are describing my DD at that age...For the first 8 weeks she only slept on me (day) or next to me (night). we then slowly transitioned from that to putting in the cot awake/screaming then settling then have gone through all sorts of phases since then (now 20 months). in the early weeks it did feel like she would never sleep independently but she eventually did. Mind you this only happened becasue I got lots of professional help, but you may not need that. In the early weeks try to just go with it and don't stress too much about what will be...

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.