Anyone live near a train track?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 beebs09

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'm thinking of buying a house that is opposite train tracks. It otherwise seems like a nice suburb (Hove SA). I'm just unsure of noise, any riff raff hanging about and graffiti. I currently live near the airport (glenelg north) so I'm hoping that the noise will be much of a muchness.

Any thoughts.

#2 brangisnotaword

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

I used to.  I got used to it.

#3 miriams

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

We live about a block away. It's very convenient. Occasionally we will hear a goods train but I don't really notice any other trains anymore.

#4 RealityBites

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

I live right on a railway track and don't notice the noise at all. And I am noise-phobic, I refuse to live on a main road!

#5 lozoodle

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

I dont live along the road next to it, but one street back.

I don't notice it, but the train tracks are down a little cliff thing so I think that muffles noise.

I personally wouldn't live directly opposite one.

#6 CupOfCoffee

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

We lived directly behind a suburban train station, and you really do get used to it (after a really short amount of time, we didn't hear it anymore.

One day though, we had people over for dinner and a freight train went past (freight trains are much louder) and I was just continuing the discussion and didn't even notice, they were shocked that I didn't notice it.

#7 Madnesscraves

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

I used to live opposite to one. at first it was really noisy, but then you just stop noticing the noise really.

I now live one street away from one, still can hear it, but again, don't notice it unless someone comments on it. original.gif

#8 JuniPooks_

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

I used to have a train track literally over my back fence in metropolitan melbourne. In a notoriously 'dodgy' area (Footscray). Never had any riff raff. Just wild rabbits, mice, and trains.

#9 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

I lived a street away, and hated it.  We moved as soon as we had our first child.  

The noise was fine, but there were always a few drunks, and dodgy teenagers loitering around.

#10 jai*

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I live across the road, from not only the track but also the station.
The lines/station is down a bit of an embankment so that does help with the noise, but as PPs said, you get use to it. I actually quite like it. And it's very handy!

#11 ~ky~

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

I've lived next to train tracks several times and as PPs have said, you get used to the noise.

#12 Fabulous

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

It can be noiser when you are near a train station because you can often hear the screeching of the brakes.

#13 Matthias' mum

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

We have one running directly behind our house. The only time I notice the noise is at about 4am if I'm up with the baby. I can tell what time it is based on the frequency of the trains! We have double glazed windows that hap muffle it. We have aeroplanes going overhead as well, which are louder but less frequent. I don't really notice them either anymore.

I do notice it sometimes in the garden, but we have a huge wall that helps block the noise.

I find the noise quite soothing to be honest, it kind of adds a rhythm to the day.

We aren't actually near the station, so no people hanging around.

#14 blackcat20

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

I live a couple of blocks away. What you hear depends on which way the wind is blowing, but you get used to it anyway and it just becomes background noise.

#15 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

I live just opposite one, and we rarely notice noise. Maybe for the first week or two we did, but you get used to it. My DS sleeps in the front room which cops most of the noise and is never disturbed by it original.gif

#16 Jane Jetson

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

I lived in a smallish high-rise opposite and above a train station for a few years. It was mostly fine - the trains weren't too noisy, it was extremely convenient and there was something rather pleasant about people-watching from the kitchen window.

The negatives were the odd riff-raff (mostly drunk people wandering home loudly in the middle of the night, nothing I didn't get up to myself in my early 20s), occasional trackwork (which really is noisy) and occasions when the stationmaster decided he really, really needed the station loudspeaker to belt out its announcements at deafening volume. Had to start sleeping with earplugs if I wanted to sleep after 6-7am after that.

#17 Heather11

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

At Hove you are going to only be dealing with commuter trains not the loud freight trains.  Even those we have got used to.  You hear them if you are awake at night but they don't wake you up.

Hove is a fairly affluent suburb so there shouldn't be as much riff raff hanging around as there would be in a lower SES suburb.

#18 unicycle

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Lived opposite for two years. Never ever got used to the noise.

#19 tle

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

I used to live in a house where the line was directly behind the back fence. I hated it. I got used to the noise but found that I was constantly having to dust. They were the old style trains though (not electric) so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

#20 Lynken

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

I think the main things to consider are is it near the station or an intersection?  Just tracks with the trains going past might not be too bad, but with a station you will get traffic morning and night (cars and probably buses), might get people hanging around especially at night, noise from brakes, horns and loudspeakers etc.  With an intersection you will get noise from the horn (if it's the same rules as our state, they have to sound the horn approaching intersections and stations) as well as the bells from the boomgates.  That sort of incidental, infrequent but loud noise might be more disturbing than the rumble of the actual train.

Edited by Lynken, 15 November 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#21 seayork2002

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

Give us a few days and we will be!

I could not live a train that has one every 5 mins but I actually love hearing the sound of trains.

#22 beebs09

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

This house is around 100-200m from the nearest station but across the road from the track. It is just a residential station stop so I'm hoping it wont attract riffraff and drunkards. There is a small amount of graffiti around, but all the houses and gardens in the area are well maintained. It is about 1km from intersections with boom gates.
It is just such a big decision buying a house, that I can't decide if it's worth the risk of working out or not.

Thanks for the replies

#23 -*meh*-

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

i used to live right next door to the noarlunga line train and a few minute walk from the ascot park station... you get used to the sound very quickly....

and the whole noarlunga line is closed from january til september next year so will be nice and quite for a bit Tounge1.gif

#24 TopsyTurvy

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Yep we lived with one behind is for 15 years original.gif

Honestly it rarely bothered me, the only times it did were when track maintenance was being done.  Usually in the middle of the night and it was very noisy with trucks going past, machines thumping and clanging, and lights shining brightly.  However only twice in the 15 years did they do major works like that so it added up to only a couple of weeks of bad sleep.

The only other times were if I was suffering from insomnia and the trains going past disturbed my already broken sleep.

Oh and talking on the phone outside was hard especially if a freight train went past.

Would I do it again?  If the house was the perfect house probably, but if it wasn't then I would keep looking.

#25 hayzee fantayzee

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Yes, I do. Train track about 50m away from our place, at the back.
Daytime, don't hear them at all, I probably just don't notice them. I notice the aircraft more living in inner west Sydney.
Nighttime, yes, I do the freight trains, as they sound heavier and go on and on. We sleep at the back too. Saying that, the sound is quite monotonous and dull, it lulls you to sleep.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.