Vegetarian christmas

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MintyBiscuit

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'm hosting christmas lunch for seven this year, and was planning on doing the standard meats and side dishes (undecided whether I'm doing hot or cold). Only problem is, my sister decided two weeks ago to become a vegetarian

I don't really know what to offer as an option. I was thinking some sort of frittata or quiche? She also doesn't eat pasta which reduces my options. I'd like to do something that everyone can share.

Anyone got any good vego recipes they can send my way?

#2 Interrobang

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

If you are doing the meats + salad/vegies option, then I would go for a 'meatier' (for want of a better word) option that she can then have with the regular sides.

Maybe field mushrooms stuffed with ricotta, parsley, parmesan and breadcrumbs? You could stuff them with risotto too, or do arancini balls. Or maybe zucchini or eggplant strips rolled up with goat cheese and roasted capsicum?

#3 steppy

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Yes, a stuffed butternut pumpkin or capsicum or such would be suitable, and then just serve with other vegies as normal. Some people do a nutloaf.

#4 Cat People

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

If you want to do a share dish, then quiche is a good idea.

I usually make a lasagne - instead of mince I use veggies (eggplant and mushrooms are especially yum) and a can of beans - usually borlotti beans - with a tomato sauce and assemble as usual.

Nutloaf is another great idea.

Perhaps ask her what she would like?

Edited by Madame Catty, 15 November 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#5 JaneLane

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

I am a vegetarian and alongside the chicken and turkey for everyone else, I usually make a sweet potato suffle and some ricotta and fetta stuffed zucchini flowers.

I am a particularly non picky vegetarian and have spent many years at other occasions just eating the salad and a bread roll, it doesn't bother me at all.  A frittata / roast vegies / quiche / substantial salad etc would be quick and easy.

Edited by blue4me, 15 November 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#6 Luci

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I would tend towards a nice quiche, ie roast sweet potato, carmelised onion & feta or something like that. You can make it in advance (or even buy it ready made) then it just needs to be popped into the oven to reheat.  Leftovers will keep well, and you will probably find it is popular with some of the meat eaters as well.

There are loads of quiche recipes on taste.com.au

Luci

#7 Two Rugrats

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Vegie lasagne. Just layer pasta sheets (best to soak in water for 10 mins first) with mashed potato mixed into a nice tomato-based sauce (I cheat and use a big jar of Dolmio), as well as fried onion, fried mushrooms and baby spinach leaves.
Oh and let's not forget cheese sauce layering in there too (2 cups milk bought to boil with 2 tblspns butter then add 2 tblspns plain flour, stir, and a cup of cheese added with salt and pepper). Add shredded parmesan at the top and Wa la! Even the meat eaters will be going back for seconds - at least they do in my house!
ETA: I'm with the previous poster. I'm a vegetarian but am happy to just eat the salads and bread rolls at gatherings, rather than expect a vegie dish to be on offer. DH is the same, we're very easy going. Maybe your sis will be same?

Edited by Half Baked, 15 November 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#8 Rexit

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

We have 4 vegetarians in the family, and usually there is a quiche option and they just have the normal salad/roast vege sides (they are very cruisy though).

This year at ours we have decided to forgo the traditional roast because it just seems ridiculous for a Queensland Christmas in our tiny house with so many people. We're having a Tapas Christmas instead! Maybe you could do some Tappas sides as well?

Plenty of options on Taste. Good luck  xmas_tongue.gif

#9 Z-girls rock

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

we are doing a few things, as you said most of the meat eating people will want to have a bit of the vegie one too so you need to make sure that there is enough without having to hover over it saying 'YOU cant eat that! it is for <sisters name>' because that will make her feel bad. hahaha (been in that situation - as the vego)

we are doing:

caramalised onion and goats cheese tart (it is just caramalised onions and cheese on puff pastry so v easy) : http://tlt-thelittlethings.com/2012/03/25/...cheese-or-feta/
you can make one big one on a tray and cut it into slices

Also these Cheese and spinach filo pies (in a muffin tin) http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/23598/spin...heese+filo+pies

I am also thinking about these spiced cauliflower patties:
http://twospoons.wordpress.com/2011/06/26/...flower-patties/

we have done all of the above for BBQ's in the past. very easy and they go like hotcakes for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.

also remember to make sure there a vegetarian salads. Obvious point probably haha. But sometimes people just chuck ham or bacon into a salad and then the vegetarian person cant eat it. they seem to then forget that and say to the vego person "and there are heaps of salads..."
hehehe

Edited by Z-girls rock, 15 November 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#10 MintyBiscuit

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thanks everyone original.gif Some good ideas and recipes for me to look at.
She seems pretty laid back about the whole thing at the moment. She's literally just started on the whole vego thing so I don't think she really knows herself what she likes as far as non meat options.

I like the idea of a frittata or something because I know I'd at least want to eat some, and chances are everyone else would want to try some too. There'll be lots of sides so she should be ok. She's also not at all bothered by others eating meat around her, so that's a bonus.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.