Help please
Dummy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KJP87

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hi All,

I'm still very new to all of this... I posted a topic a few hours ago, but when I search for it, it gives me an error and tells me it may have been deleted...? My issue is regarding my 5 month old son and his Dummy habit.. He is now waking a minimum of 5-6 times during the night and wont go back to sleep until its in his mouth again. The problem seems to be getting worse. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any helpful suggestions or tips for me to try?

Thanks so much original.gif

#2 Broxie

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

I just co-slept and stuffed it back in when he wanted it  ph34r.gif

#3 Paddlepop

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Multiple dummies in his cot. My DD had 6 dummies in hers at all times. Try to teach him to put it back in for himself by gently guiding his hand with the dummy in it to his mouth. I can't remember what age we taught DD to do this but it was fantastic when she learnt how to do it. The multiple dummies in the cot also meant that she could easily find a dummy to put back into her mouth.

Or, bite the bullet and get him to quit the dummies altogether. My DD is 2y9mths old and we took her dummies away a few weeks ago. She still looks for them, and has now started sucking her fingers even when she is awake. Grrr!

#4 niggles goes feral

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

If all else fails you could consider thinking about it as a blessing. By that I mean he could wake that many times even without a dummy and at least this way you have a simple effective way to resettle.

That said I have had this issue but it doesn't last long. Put in some time helping him learn to replace his own dummy while he's awake and pop a few dummies in the cot to help him find one easily. It's a phase that's passed fairly quickly for me...then you get teething.

#5 LovenFire

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

Research something called a dummy bunny - it is a light, soft stuffed bunny and you can attach a dummy to each arm.  Chuck it into bed with bub and very quickly, bub will learn to find it, find the dummy he wants and put it back in.  

Obviously, you'll have to help to start off, but is well worth it.

#6 zogee

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

My son went through this too and I was agonising over whether to ditch the dummy or not. He learnt to put it back in at around 6 months I think. He basically had a 4 month sleep regression that lasted til 6/7 months  rolleyes.gif He's now nearly 9 months and can pop it in really easily. I have at least 2 in the cot for him but the more the better!!

#7 KJP87

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

Thanks so much for your help everyone original.gif

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

From about that age my DD3 went to bed with one in her mouth and one in each hand which she rotated as she slept original.gif She consequently always had one available.

She happily gave up her dummies to the dummy fairy at age 2.5 despite everyone thinking I was setting her up with a life long habit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.