Christmas for me, the older I get....

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Frannie

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

...becomes so much more unbearably exciting! It's only November 15th and I can't wait to get everything out. I've even been out to the garage to eye off the boxes of "stuff" and try and remember what's in them without looking. I MUST make myself wait 'til 1st December, but I swear, the older I get the harder it is!

Is my sub-conscious just caving to all the subliminal commercial messages we're bombarded with from end of October, or am I really just getting more and more Christmassy Kitsch the older I get.

I simply cannot wait for the 24 days (and the rest  biggrin.gif ) of my Christmas to start. You?

#2 DreamFeralisations

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

I am the opposite - finding it vey hard to muster any enthusiasm - I am lucky to be married to and mother to some who are very into Christmas and will get me amped up in the 25 days in December we allocate to it but = meh, bah.

#3 *Lib*

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

The older I get the happier I'd be with a lunch out, or a night in a hotel or just a day at home. No running around, no tree.....just a lazy day!

#4 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

I'm feeling the same way! I pulled out some of the tree decorations last weekend to have a bit of a look at what I have and was very, very tempted to put up the tree. Luckily I'm very busy this weekend or I'd probably cave in and put it up. It's going up next weekend though- I can't wait.

I'm putting my increasing enthusiasm down to having to having young children and wanting to share my love of Christmas with them.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

I love Christmas, especially with children.  But we have a December birthday, so the only thing we'll have out before then is the advent calendar.

#6 Bella_a1

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

I'm the same so much I put my Christmas tree up on the weekend with the kids  blush.gif

I won't put any lights up outside though as I don't want to let the rest of the neighbourhood know of my impatience, lol.

#7 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (Frannie @ 15/11/2012, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...becomes so much more unbearably exciting! It's only November 15th and I can't wait to get everything out. I've even been out to the garage to eye off the boxes of "stuff" and try and remember what's in them without looking. I MUST make myself wait 'til 1st December, but I swear, the older I get the harder it is!

Is my sub-conscious just caving to all the subliminal commercial messages we're bombarded with from end of October, or am I really just getting more and more Christmassy Kitsch the older I get.

I simply cannot wait for the 24 days (and the rest  biggrin.gif ) of my Christmas to start. You?

Still love Christmas and all the hoo-ha that goes with it - the food, the presents, the decorations. Even though ours are teenagers we still go silly over Christmas and seem to get worse every year.

#8 WYSIWYG

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

The child in me is very much like you.
The sense in me just reminds me that it never turns out to be as exciting as I always hope it would be. Probably my bah-humbug DF and lack of family.

#9 Sallystwo

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

Yes I hear you ...  I am getting very excited.  Roll on 1st Dec

#10 cinnabubble

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Roll on December 26.

#11 jai*

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

Maybe it's different when you have kids, but Christmas is generally a very lonely (emotionally) time for me.

#12 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

I'm excited too.   Ive even bought DS the Santa nappies but am NOT opening them until December.  

Jai I'm sorry.   I did IVF for 2 years and Christmas was a difficult time for me.

#13 SaintJoe

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

We put up our tree pageant day (last weekend)

It's a SA tradition to do it then. Maybe pretend you are following our ways  wink.gif wink.gif

#14 strawberrycakes

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

I am excited but as my DD's birthdau is in December I don't like to put the tree up until after so the two are completlety seperate iykwm.

#15 Ianthe

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:41 AM

I am excited too. I will put the tree up December 1st because we are buying a real tree this year.

I really struggled through Christmas for a number of years once my parents divorced but I really have my Christmas mojo back.

My favourite parts

Carols at church all through December
Gingerbread House night at church
Advent calenders (haven't found a Lego one this year sad.gif )
Presents
Roast dinner
Trifle
Seeing my family on Boxing Day

#16 No girls here

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

I LOVE Christmas.  I have presents wrapped and a couple of lights outside.  The tree is going up next week.

Personally I don't mind that shops have stuff out super early.  I love the Christmas season and am happy to extend it as long as possible.

#17 TopsyTurvy

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

Arrrgghhhh!  The waiting is killing me I tell you!! biggrin.gif

I have bought some new decorations for our new house and we have a fireplace with mantel.  I have some lovely garlands and new stockings to put up and I want to do it now!!

Edit for premature postification!

Edited by TopsyTurvy, 16 November 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#18 No girls here

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE (Ianthe @ 16/11/2012, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Advent calenders (haven't found a Lego one this year sad.gif )

Not sure how long postage takes but you can order them from the lego site
http://shop.lego.com/en-AU/LEGO-City-Advent-Calendar-4428
http://shop.lego.com/en-AU/LEGO-Star-Wars-...t-Calendar-9509

#19 fruitbat72

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

I am already stressing as to where the money for presents is going to come from - DF and I are getting married next week and every spare cent is going towards the wedding.

I am intending to make a glazed ham this year as DF LOVES ham - I confess to being a bit nervous about this

I do love Xmas but find it very stressful when the kids gets grasping and ungrateful.

#20 HeroOfCanton

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

Bah humbug!
Every year I get excited & then spend December running around madly trying to finish things up. Then by the 25tg I'm exhausted, but still have an over-stimulated, over-tired toddler to deal with.
We've got all but 3 gifts, and they'll be here soon so I don't have to do anything but wrap them.

#21 Frannie

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (TopsyTurvy @ 16/11/2012, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Arrrgghhhh!  The waiting is killing me I tell you!! biggrin.gif

I have bought some new decorations for our new house and we have a fireplace with mantel.  I have some lovely garlands and new stockings to put up and I want to do it now!!

Edit for premature postification!

Oh, to have a mantelpiece over a fire for Christmas! One of my little fantasies is to take the kids to New York for a white Christmas. Probably not as spectacular IRL as in my fantasies, though.

Jai* I'm sorry this is a lonely time for you. Is it the IVF, or lack of family or tradition? I understand Christmas is a very lonely time for a whole lot of people.

I think it's about making new traditions with my kids as they get older. They've started to appreciate the traditions that we've created together - like decorating the tree on the first weekend of December, with Christmas music on, scorched almonds and Christmas m n m's on the table in our special Christmas bowls, drinking bubbles; Carols by Candlelight with tasty treats and a drive to find the best lights; Christmas Eve mass at school, outside with lots of friends; drinking hot chocolate out of our special Christmas mugs at night leading up to Christmas Eve; Christmas drinks with friends and family wearing our Christmas t-shirts and matching earrings  biggrin.gif

I need  relish these days as the girls are fast becoming tweens and will soon not want to participate as willingly as now.

Bring it on!

#22 Coffeegirl

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (*Lib* @ 15/11/2012, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The older I get the happier I'd be with a lunch out, or a night in a hotel or just a day at home. No running around, no tree.....just a lazy day!

^^^^

I think I'm just over the hype.  I've been pelted with Christmas carols at my local shopping centre for 2 weeks already.  Not sure how I'm going to handle another 5-6 weeks.  

I used to love Christmas. But have struggled and slowly lost more of my Christmas mojo since I moved to Australia.   It's not Australia's fault!!!!!  It just feels weird without the cold and snow.  And this is after 21 years here.

#23 LookMumNoHands

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

I'm hoping some of the enthusiasm in this thread will rub off on me. I need it this year!

#24 lozoodle

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

Oh me too! I'm so keen to get all the decorations etc out. DD1 especially is so into it at the moment, its really exciting just to try and see it from her perspective. And I do love to shop original.gif

#25 corbel

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

The last two Christmases have been less than special and my enthusiasm waned significantly, so I am determined to bring out all the bells and whistles this year and make it a little magical again. I was thinking about putting up the tree on the weekend but felt a bit silly, I thought I would starting breaking out the decorations for around the house today and gradually build up from there. All of my present shopping is done and have have no commitments this year so I am looking forward to being able to sit back and enjoy, or bounce up and down with the kids and enjoy really.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.