Clothes for breastfeeding

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KiwiMelW

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

This is a pretty silly question I guess, but what sort of clothes shoudl I get that make it easier for breastfeeding, just ones with buttons down the front, maternity singlets etc?

its getting into summer here which is freaking hot.  Any tips from those of you that are already mums would be appreciated.

#2 Sassenach2

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

I think you must be from "over the ditch" and yes, it is getting hot here in Australia too. There is a thing you can buy called a Belly Band and it fits under your tee shirt and stops the gap between your jeans and your top, so no exposed belly. You can then just pull your top up and the belly band down a little to get to your bra and you have no exposed skin anywhere. The ABA shop have some lovely feeding tops as well, and I sure there will be others here who will give you some more tips. Congratulations on your coming new arrival and I hope you go on to a successful breastfeeding journey.

#3 ali2

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

I didn't every buy specific clothes for breastfeeding. I found it easier to wear tops that i could easily lift up (rather than undoing buttons), so just no tight tops. Not much skin is actually exposed. Just see how you go first, and then if you feel like it is necessary you could purchase some 'breastfeeding tops' once you get going. Plenty of other things to spend money on at this time!

#4 than4

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I preferred to 'open up' rather than lift up so I wore BF singlets (from Target) and generally a button down shirt or cardigan over the top.  Target have some specific BF tops, but I found there was not enough room for me to get everything out and have DD be comfortable.  They also had some long sleeve tops which weren't buttons all the way down but enough to be able to undo all the buttons, pull it over to one side and feed.

#5 ~bluebird~

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

I found with ds i never had the right clothes and didn't like showing my tummy so hated lift up. So this time am buying a few tops. Just ordered http://www.nursingangel.com.au/product_ima..._25361_zoom.jpg which looks hilarious but think it will be quite practical - though does add an extra layer which may not be great in the heat.

#6 Froger

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

T shirts are good, as they can just be lifted up. I never bought special breastfeeding clothes. About the only thing you can't breastfeed in is a long dress with no buttons down the front, or really tight tops with no front openings.

If you have button up tops, you can unbotton from the bottom so that you aren't exposing the top of your breasts and the baby covers your stomach (if you have concerns about that sort of thing). Unbuttoning from the top means you have the top of your breasts exposed, which is fine, but some women don't like that and prefer to unbutton from the bottom.

#7 ~bluebird~

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Just as i was writing previous post my parcel arrived - yay! So i can vouch for nursing angels having quick (i ordered Tuesday night) and accurate delivery as well.

Also, whilst you may not need specific bf clothes, boobs are going to be a lot bigger than normal, so you usual clothes probably still won't fit and i think a shopping spree is well deserved.

#8 porkchop's mama

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

KiwiMel, just started buying today...

Found some great BF tops at Kmart - $15 each.  They have the under bust gap style in short sleeved and sleeveless.

For nighties, Sussan have non maternity nighties that are around $25 at the moment. They have a very long line of buttons at the front which will undo to allow good breast exposure.

Also found some good soft cup bras at Kmart like those Wow bras but $12 for 2.  White, nude, black.  They aren't maternity but could be good to wear at night for extra support.

#9 Suz01

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

I'm another that just used normal clothes and lifted up. I'd wait but for me I would breast feed in a mothers room at the shops or in the car as DD would always require a nappy change so its not like your whipping the goods out in public all the time. I'd use a muslin wrap to cover and exposed areas.

Edited by Suz01, 17 November 2012 - 06:53 AM.

#10 Nutty nut

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

I got a few of those breast feeding t's and singlets from Kmart for the pregnancy, as they were in the maternity section, and haven't really worn them because the top bit with the hidden gap felt odd... Haven't had cause to whip a boob out much yet though! So they might be great, and the're certainly not too expensive.
Great thread Kiwimel. I've got some good ideas already! I've lived in my belly bands, so good to think there is a post natal use for them... I love the idea of being able to use my old tops that aren't too tight and just pulling up

#11 KiwiMelW

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thanks heaps everyone for the suggestions.  

i have heaps of button up tops, as I love sheer button up shirts but yeah will be using muslin wraps etc as well. See how I go, thanks for all the advice and the cheapy ideas too! I'm definitely going to go and have a look at kmart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.