Greens Gingerbread Cookie Mix

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 T2Mum

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

Does Greens Gingerbread Cookie Mix produce gingerbread that is hard enough to build a gingerbread house?

Does anyone know where you can buy it? (I'm in Sydney).

Thanks!

#2 JustBeige

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (T2Mum @ 16/11/2012, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does Greens Gingerbread Cookie Mix produce gingerbread that is hard enough to build a gingerbread house?

Does anyone know where you can buy it? (I'm in Sydney).

Thanks!

Is there a particular reason that you want the Greens one?   I just ask because its truly way easy to make gingerbread dough.   It is tricky shaping it into a house though.

If you dont have any issues with ingredients, then Coles and Aldi both have pre made houses that you just glue(ice) together and decorate.  Aldi also do a train.   The gingerbread is quite nice too.

#3 T2Mum

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

I have bought a gingerbread house mould, so the shaping part should be relatively easy.

I have four month old twins and a two year old. I still want to "bake" a gingerbread house so thought I would go down the packet mix route.

If you have a (very) easy recipe then maybe I could do that???

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

I've made this with 5 children aged from newborn (she didn't do much) to 4.  It was easy, and this year, we're doing a gingerbread house.

Ingredients:
125g butter, softened
1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg yolk
2.5 cups (375g) plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
3 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 cup (175g) golden syrup

Preheat oven to 180C (160C for fan forced).  Grease oven trays and line with baking paper.

Beat butter, sugar and egg yolk in small bowl with electric mixer until smooth.  Transfer to large bowl.  Stir in sifted dry ingredients and syrup in two batches.

Knead dough on floured surface until smooth.

Divide dough in half. Roll each half between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick.

Place dough on oven tray. (NB - I roll the dough on the tray)  Cut out shapes, then remove the excess dough (my recipe actually says to do this - it prevents shapes changing as you move them if they are already cut!)

Bake shapes about 15 minutes. Cool on trays.

I haven't made a house yet, but I might cook them a bit longer to get the gingerbread a bit harder.

Edited by shmach, 16 November 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#5 JustBeige

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Here is the recipe I have used for years. You can adapt it for your purposes.  I would just roll the dough out thicker. Maybe 6 or 7mm

Gingerbread Men – Aust Womans Weekly cook book

Ingredients:

BISCUIT MIX
125g butter
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
½ cup golden syrup
1 egg yolk
2 ½ cups plain flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
(I also add 1 teaspoon Cinnamon)

ROYAL ICING
1 egg white
1 ½ cups pure icing sugar
food colouring

To make biscuits:
Cream butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, beat in golden syrup and yolk.
Transfer mixture to large bowl, stir in sifted dry ingredients in 2 batches.
Press mixture into a ball, and knead on lightly covered floured surface until smooth.
Cover, and refridgerate for 30 minutes

Roll dough between sheets of greaseproof paper to approx 4mm thickness.
Cut gingerbread shapes from dough.
Spray baking tray with light spray of canola or olive oil
Using a spatula – that has had a very very light spray of canola or olive oil, lift the shapes off the paper and straight onto the prepared tray.
Place pieces about 3cms apart.
Bake in moderately hot oven (190 – 200) for about 8 – 10 mins, depending on your oven, until lightly browned.
Cool on trays.

Icing:
Whisk egg white in small bowl with a fork; gradually whisk in sifted icing sugar, around 1 tablespoon at a time, beat well between additions. Colour as desired.  Keep bowl of icing covered with a damp cloth during use.

Un iced gingies can be frozen.

Also use just a bit more icing sugar, it needs to be stiff to hold the house together.

#6 tibs

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (shmach @ 16/11/2012, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Place dough on oven tray. (NB - I roll the dough on the tray)  Cut out shapes, then remove the excess dough (my recipe actually says to do this - it prevents shapes changing as you move them if they are already cut!)

Genius, why in my years of baking has that never occurred to me  ddoh.gif

#7 lozoodle

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

I have no recipe, but my god this makes me want to eat gingerbread. A lot of it.

#8 T2Mum

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the recipes. If I can get organised I will give them a try.

Still interested if anyone knows anything about the packet mix????

#9 tomsmum07

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hi, I have used the packet mix a few times to make gingerbread men.  It's pretty crumbly and barely keeps the shape from the cookie cutter, I often find I'm pressing out and pinching in the dough.  It does taste nice. I have always followed the directions.  I don't think it would last the distance to make the ginger bread house.  The previous posters have offered some great sounding receipies!

Have fun with your baking!

#10 sir_mix-a-lot

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

I second the Women's Weekly recipe.

#11 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

I just had a major flashback to the days when Pizza Hut was eat in and they sold Gingerbread Men.  Weird!

#12 T2Mum

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

I remember those Pizza Hut Gingerbread Men too!!!

#13 meggs1

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

I agree the Greens mix is no good for houses.  

One tip for houses is to cut windows and fill with crushed lifesavers before you bake.  They turn into coloured "glass".

#14 SeaPrincess

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (tibs @ 16/11/2012, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Place dough on oven tray. (NB - I roll the dough on the tray) Cut out shapes, then remove the excess dough (my recipe actually says to do this - it prevents shapes changing as you move them if they are already cut!)

Genius, why in my years of baking has that never occurred to me  ddoh.gif

Exactly what I thought when I read it!

#15 ingrid74

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

The other thing I do is immediately after the walls and roof comes out of the oven use either the cutters or the shapes you have used (I use pieces of cut cardboard and cut around them as my pattern). No matter how 'hard' the dough is, it will spread a little bit. By cutting it while it is still very soft as it comes out the oven, it keeps the sides nice and straight and makes it much much easier to join the walls and roof together.

#16 T2Mum

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I used the AWW recipe and the house turned out great! (used the silicon mold that I purchased from Amazon UK)

It was actually better to not make it thicker (thicker gingerbread was softer).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.