Am I being mean?
Christmas cake fluff

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 What'sNext??

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Yesterday I baked my Christmas cakes- 2 20cm square cakes. I bake them every year and they are pretty scrumptious.  Because of the volume of food these cakes are never eaten at the Christmas festivities but usually by DH & I and all visitors we might have from Christmas time on.  

Last night DH asked if he could cut one and have a piece. I said no, they are for Christmas, even though we both know that's not really true.  I just wrapped them in plastic and they smell soooo good, so am thinking maybe I am just being a Scrooge and he should eat it whenever.

What do you think? Eat now or save?

A piece would go really well with my cup of tea right now... I might just unwrap one and smell it again wink.gif

#2 Neko NoNo

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

call it a trial run and eat the lot this weekend. you can make them again next week!

#3 noi'mnot

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Save it. Don't touch it. They taste millions of times better if they sit until Christmas, without being cut beforehand. Save it!

Having said that, I FREAKING LOVE Christmas cake! I'd be having a lot of trouble resisting! original.gif

(feel free to bring some over to my house for a cup of tea after Christmas! wink.gif )

Edited by noi'mnot, 16 November 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#4 blackcat20

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Eat one now and save the other for christmas?

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Save them - they taste soo much better in a month or two after the alcohol has soaked through them - then enjoy them.

#6 casime

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Eat one.  Then bake more.  Eat those.  Then bake more.   Eat those.   Repeat until you can no longer stand the thought of christmas cake (until next year that is).

#7 MintyBiscuit

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

If you have two anyway, I say cut it.

I made two last year because it was my first try of my grandmother's recipe and I had no idea the volume was so huge. DH lasted about three weeks before having a "test" piece, and had small bits up until Christmas. We then used that cake for christmas and still had a whole one left over.

#8 Paddlepop

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

In my family it is very common for a Christmas plum pudding to be "nibbled by a mouse" prior to being wrapped and stored away. By that I mean that there is a tiny slice cut for whoever happens to be around when Mum is putting it away. Mums regards it as making sure it is a good pudding and if it isn't, she then has time to make another one.

Have a slice!

#9 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Yep being mean... he only wanted one piece!

I try to make lots of things leading up to Christmas and freeze them. I find the rum balls have a way of slowly disappearing that I have make a new batch or 2 to replace the missing ones.

#10 Flaxen

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Have one of the cakes now, you have two, so why not enjoy one now?

#11 happening

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (I*Love*Christmas @ 16/11/2012, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep being mean... he only wanted one piece!

No such thing as just one piece.....

#12 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

You have two- eat one now, one at Christmas.

#13 Stellajoy

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

It might be rancid or off! what if you gave your guests and visitors food poisoning? By trying some now you really are doing them a service wink.gif

#14 Lissome

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 16/11/2012, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eta unless we're talkign about those god awful spiced fruit things that pretend to be cake and taste stale the second they're out of the oven? In which case I say leave it and make a real cake Tounge1.gif

I agree with this. Can't stand Christmas cake! I vote bake a new cake. Preferably a carrot cake. With icing. Lots of icing.

#15 Taystee

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (casime @ 16/11/2012, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eat one.  Then bake more.  Eat those.  Then bake more.   Eat those.   Repeat until you can no longer stand the thought of christmas cake (until next year that is).

Haha, this!!

And post us the recipe!

#16 skat123

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

yep - let him and yourself enjoy !

#17 Beltie

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Eat it.

I make 8 big plum puddings every year and we have it almost constantly until Easter. If you like it, why not?

#18 Chocolate Addict

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

I hate Christmas cake but it sounds like yours is fruit cake made around Christmas time. original.gif

You have two, they will not be eaten on Christmas day so why not enjoy it now instead of waiting around til after Christmas when the last thing you want is fruit cake?

#19 Feral Becky

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for this thread OP, it got me off my butt to go and buy the brandy for my fruit.

I have never made a Xmas cake where you soak the fruit for a week but this year I am going to. I will start today biggrin.gif

Have made the one where you soak fruit in beer overnight and that is good too.

#20 Feral timtam

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (minimae @ 16/11/2012, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with this. Can't stand Christmas cake! I vote bake a new cake. Preferably a carrot cake. With icing. Lots of icing.

Double gross. I can't stand carrot cake! Although I have been told by the carrot cake eating members of my family that I make a decent one.

OP- can you cut one of the cakes in such a way that it can be hidden with icing just prior to Christmas? If you can I'd be really, really tempted to do so, to make sure the batch is 'just right' so to speak. You could always make another one of course.

This reminds me, I'd better pull my finger out and get the ingredients for next years puddings while they are readily available. DH's family likes them to 'mature' for at least 12 months.

#21 What'sNext??

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

:-)

Will wait till December I think and then start.  The recipe is super long, I use one out of a 2001 edition of Gormuet traveller.  It's the only thing in the magazine I have made.  They suggest soaking fruit for 24 hours but last year I left it for a week (pregnant & too tired) and it was even better.

It is only not for Christmas in that at the Christmas dinners we tend to have so many desserts the Christmas cakes don't tend to get eaten- we still take them but they are not a centerpiece.  I don't tend to go to the trouble of decorating, just covering in warm apricot jam and then slicing. So it actually wouldn't matter if the cake was cut or one was even already eaten.

I am not a fan of carrot cake, but have been known to make a chocolate carrot cake that has 3-4 cups of carrot in it.  Kids love it and it sneaks in some extra veg.  

Tomorrow I have to do some baking anyway so will make something for DH.  Thinking maybe a white choc raspberry cheesecake....  Maybe chocolate mousse... Maybe... I need some inspiration- am bored with my standard set of yummy stuff.

#22 Therese

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (casime @ 16/11/2012, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do this. And then send me one too please. original.gif

#23 What'sNext??

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Ps this recipe has never ever been dry or stale.  It's always surprisingly moist.

#24 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

After reading this thread I'm totally making a fruit cake!

mmm yummy!!!

wooo hooo I just found my grandmothers boiled pineapple fruit cake recipe online! I'll add sherry or brandy or something though wink.gif

Edited by PussyDids, 16 November 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#25 chic mummy

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (noi'mnot @ 16/11/2012, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(feel free to bring some over to my house for a cup of tea after Christmas! wink.gif )

me too please. ill pop the kettle on hehe.

Enjoy it if your happy to make another as you make it every year it has become tradition almost. enjoy yourself a little. but at the same time thanks OP i want some cake now  xmas_tongue.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.