Puffy eyes, common cold?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Are puffy eyes a symptom of the cold?

DS1 has been having slight puffy eyes for three days. They are not watery nor itchy and he's still very active. We have given over the counter anti-histamine, they didn't go away.

We brought him to the GP and he says it could be urinary infection or allergy. Had his urine collected for investigation but result only out on Monday.

This arvo he developed a fever about 38.5, was tired and had a nap. Then he told us he had been sneezing a lot more today.

Just wondering if puffy eyes is a symptom of the cold, this has never happen to him. He doesn't have any known allergies and never suffered hay fever before.

Thanks.

Edited by Mum2TwoDSs, 16 November 2012 - 11:33 PM.

#2 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

So after a few days of puffy eyes, DS vomited in the middle of the night and had fever. He also complained about tummy ache. We took him to another GP yesterday as his throat hurts. He had a blood test done. Turns out he's having glandular fever and all of the above are symptoms. His sore throat is actually tonsillitis. He is feeling really miserable and has been crying at times, lethargic and depressed too.

Glandular fever is similar to flu according to GP. It may take weeks to fully recover. Transmitted via cough or food. Clueless to where he caught this viral bug.

#3 CalEliKat

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

It took me 3 months to fully recover from glandular fever when I got it age 21.

#4 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Yeah shocking. fX DS1 is very resilient and hoping he recovers soonest. He hardly falls sick. This is a big one for him. Now the house is really quiet, and I am worried my 5 week old may catch the bug.  blink.gif

Edited by Mum2TwoDSs, 19 November 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Poor little man!

I don't know about younger kids, but when I had glandular fever (I was 26) I was told it can take up to 2 years for your immune system to recover.

For me, I took about 6 months to feel semi-human again & i took Olive-Leaf Extract to help. But big doses of vitamin C are also beneficial (I can't take that).

Most importatnt - don't share cups, straws or cuttlery.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 19 November 2012 - 04:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.