So who actually eats 5 serves of vegetables every day?

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#1 ~~~

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

I was discussing this with DP and we just don't get up to 5 serves of vegies each day.

An example tonight is we are having schnitzel and vegies and green salad, but often we will not have the salad as well as vegies, so we would be nowhere near the recommendation. And we just don't have much in the way of vegies during the day. Maybe we just aren't big eaters?

I know its the 2 + 5 serves for the fruit and veg, but I'm curious to see how many people actually achieve that? And if you do, can you give an example of what you eat?

Thanks original.gif

#2 Spring Chickadee

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

I'm not sure how a 'serve' is measured but yesterday I had a banana, pear, 5 strawberries, half a tomato, 3 handfuls of baby spinach, a handful of basil leaves, 1/2T garlic and 8 or so long green beans.

That was between my fruit salad breakie, sandwich lunch and pesto pasta dinner.

#3 Broxie

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

I have 4-5servings of veggies a day and maybe 1 a week of fruit.

#4 cinnabubble

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

I manage it about half the time.

#5 *Lib*

Not even close.....and I doubt I even get them in a week.....

#6 ~~~

I have found a link that explains the recommendations:
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/healthya...f/Content/fact1
A serve of fruit is:
        1 medium piece, eg, apple, banana, orange, pear
        2 small pieces, eg, apricots, kiwi fruit, plums
        1 cup diced pieces or canned fruit
        1/2 cup juice
        dried fruit, eg, 4 dried apricot halves, 1 1/2 tablespoons sultanas.

A serve of vegetables or legumes is:
        75g or 1/2 cup cooked vegetables
        75g or 1/2 cup cooked dried beans, peas or lentils
        1 cup salad vegetables
        1 potato.

So you could say that at an extreme 5 serves of vegies could be 5x potatoes wink.gif And even looking at 2.5cups of vegies..... just doesn't happen for us daily.

ETA - I also probably only average one piece (therefore 1 serve) of fruit a day.

Edited by ~~~, 17 November 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#7 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

I don't even have five serves of FOOD a day.

Unless you count lollies Tounge1.gif

#8 noi'mnot

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

I snack on carrots a lot - I'd normally have at least two per day, because I love them. This also means, though, that if I'm not having so many veggies for lunch/dinner then I'm generally safe with my veggie quota for the day, if that makes sense.

For snacks I have at least two pieces of fruit per day, as well as at least two carrots per day. Without the carrot snacks, though, I would normally still be having the recommended 5 serves per day because I really load our plates with veggies far more than anything else. Like with PP's example, if we were having schnitzel I'd be giving each adult at least a cup of steamed broccoli and cauliflower and other veg, plus some baked potato wedges (maybe one potato's worth). For lunch we generally have salads, bulked out with beans to make it filling (like kidney beans or butter beans or chickpeas) and plenty of other veggies, whatever is in season. I'm not a small eater, so this way I know I'm getting enough veggies and that even though I eat a fair bit it's veggie based.

#9 skat123

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

i eat 2 serves of fruit a day but sometimes struggle to get in five  serves of vege so I started juicing vege's which i can easily and quickly down and get all the nutrients from them in an easily digestible form.....

i dont juice fruit unless its say one green apple to sweeten a vege juice as by taking the fibre out of fruit your are just getting a massive sugar hit

#10 Squeekums Da Feral

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 17/11/2012, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't even have five serves of FOOD a day.

Unless you count lollies Tounge1.gif

Lollies and coffee, is coffee counted?
I would make myself sick if I ate as much as the recommendations say.

#11 Arthur or Martha

Edited by ambwrose, 12 September 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#12 Escapin

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

hahahahaha, no.

#13 kiam

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

I usually eat 7 servings of fruits and veggies a day, sometimes it's more like 4 serves of fruit and 3 of veggies, or 1 of fruit and 6 of veggies, but there is usually at least 7 servings in there.

Things like avocado on toast, veggies in sandwiches, I usually have fruit or veggies for morning tea and afternoon tea, I'm a pescetarian, so it is rare for me to have a dinner without veggies in it.

#14 brazen

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

yeah most days i would get that or more. occasionally i wouldn't.

fruit is where i tend to miss out more often

#15 Feral Nicety

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Yeah we'd meet the guidelines most days.

#16 gina70

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I would easily eat 3 pieces of fruit a day, especially during stone fruit season.  I probably eat around 5 serves of fruit during the week, for example: a small bag of raw vegies for morning tea, vegies or salad with lunch and heaps of steamed vegies with dinner.  The weekend probably not so many vegies.

#17 Ladeeda

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

I'd say I would average 4 serves of veggies a day, but would be lucky to eat 2 serves of fruit in a week let alone in a day

Edited by Ladeeda, 17 November 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Maybe 5 out of 7 days?
I have a meat and vegie DH and so we usually do have varying cuts of red and white meat combined with lots of vegies and cooked in many different ways.  I make him have at least one pasta a week and I sneak in one take away wink.gif
We would have at least 5 different vegies with each of these meals and a couple of pieces of fruit.

I sometimes wish that DH had a finer palate than he does but I think it is too late.

#19 Froger

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

I would have much more, but I eat pretty much no sweet fruit, so I do eat more vegetables. I also eat no grains, so no bread or rice, so I guess  I naturally tend to eat more vegies instead (especially salads).

Today I have had a huge green salad with onions and olives, plus fried tomatoes, fried onions and fried mushrooms (plus eggs for breakfast).

Had a small bowl of cherries for a snack (my rare fruit).

For lunch had homemade almond cakes with horseradish and onions, plus fried greens (chinese veg type things).

For dinner my son is making beef stroganoff with mushrooms and onions. He is also making a salad with various green things (whatever we have growing), plus carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, olives. He is also making a berry crumble (not veg, but still okay - has berries).

The kids have eaten pretty much the same.

We almost always have a huge salad every day with at least one meal. Plus plenty of cooked veg with each meal eaten at home.

Edited by SarahM72, 17 November 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#20 Angelina Ballerina

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

I think I'd be close most days.

Banana in the morning
Salad on sandwich
Veges with dinner

Can I count my 2 glasses of wine as grape juice/fruit serves  wink.gif

#21 jessie123

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Only if I make a real effort. 5 serves of veggies is 375 grams that is a lot of food. I think the only way to do it is to spread it out over the day its too much to have in one meal. I would not do 2 serves of fruit very often as I have never been that into fruit.

Even salad on a sandwich would barely count as a serve as its meant to be 1 cup of salad veggies per serve.

I am not particularly bothered about it though.

Edited by jessie123, 17 November 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#22 Floki

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

I'd say I would average 4 serves of veggies a day, but would be lucky to eat 2 serves of fruit in a week let alone in a day

Maybe 5 out of 7 days?

Combination of both of these although with stonefruit season here now it will be peaches galore for me lol

#23 peking homunculus

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I try but am not always successful.

We get a big box of F&V from a co-op each week. This makes me plan meals around vege rather than around the meat. I find this helps

also if you can have a salad for lunch it is usy 2 serves of vege which mans only 3 at dinner which is pretty achievable. I have a mixed salad with some canner lentils or chick peas. Fills you up and loys of vege.

#24 *Caro*

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Yes, I would meet the recommendations most days.  I feel disgusting if I don't eat enough vegetables.  I remember travelling around the UK years ago with my family, eating pub meals along the way and feeling stodgier and stodgier as it went on.  One night we stumbled upon a buffet that had awesome salads and steamed vegies and my sister and I pounced on it, salivating!!

Do people not worry about the health implications of not eating enough vegies??

#25 Poughkeepsie

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, we do. Not huge meat eaters in this family, so most meals are vegetable based.  My kids eat broccoli every night, but it took a while to get there!:) Fruit-wise, the kids eat 2-3pieces each day, but I usually have one maybe two at a push.  Now that it is watermelon season though, I will easily make my 2 serves a day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.