Gifts from teachers...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nosmas

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Spinoff from the giving gifts to teachers.  Have your child/ren received a christmas or end of year gift from their teacher and if yes, what was it?

#2 CFMummy

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

I did in grade 6 I got a cat calender still have it somewhere. It has special meaning to me

#3 kyrrie

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:47 AM

Cute little stationery things. Novelty pencils, pens, balloons, erasers etc. they love it.

#4 *Lena*

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

I always give my students a gift at the end of the year. Usually a fancy pencil and rubber or a cool pen etc. Depending on what year I have.

#5 ballogo

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

My kids have. Usually something small - cute pencils etc., individualised cards and one year a creatively hand made  'frame' of a photograph of  my child at a special day at school .

The school I work at  gets each grade level together and we decide on the same gift to give all our kids. From about July we start looking out for appropriare gifts.  Last year my grade level were given individualised gifts - I included a message for each child thanking them for a particular quality they brought to the class and/or telling them what I would miss about them and/or my favourite memory of them that year.

#6 mnsr621

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

Yes for Kinda last year DS received a Christmas tree ornament and some home made goodies (chocolate crakle and something else).  I was very suprised, didn't think the teachers would do this but the kids were so excited. We got her a box of chocolates, she was the best teacher.

#7 Ianthe

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Generally the kids get something sweet from their teachers.

One year one of the teachers gave the boys a Santa jelly lolly that cost around $1.50 and bought bracelets for the girls that were worth around $10. I was furious. She always favoured the girls (2 of my boys had her as a teacher). She has thankfully left the school now. It isn't just a $ value thing, just a sign of the lack of respect she had for boys.

#8 Nosmas

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

I have 28 children in my grade five class and i started this thread for gift ideas.  I work at a state school and it will have to be an end of year gift not a christmas gift (so christmas decorations are out etc.). Also need to keep cost low as it comes out of own pocket.  Most teachers at the school dont give anything.

I was thinking maybe a beachball with the saying, it has been a ball being your teacher this year or have a ball this summer...

So please help me with ideas.

#9 Studybug

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (Nosmas @ 18/11/2012, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking maybe a beachball with the saying, it has been a ball being your teacher this year or have a ball this summer...

So please help me with ideas.

I think your idea is actually quite good! biggrin.gif

#10 jrmama

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

PP I like your idea of the beach ball

My kids have received books (the soft cover ones like the mem fox ones with a personal message inside), notepads,pencils with erasers, lollies

#11 livvie7586

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

we got one from our music teacher in year 12.  she had organised a picture of each of us to be taken during a performance (our CAPA performance, so our practice before our HSC performances) whilst performing.  she then framed each one, and gave us our picture, with a letter about how proud she was of each of us for all the hard work we had put in etc

the picture is still up in my house original.gif

#12 FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog

Love the beachball idea!!

My son received a handmade Christmas bauble in reception. 6 years later, it still adorns our tree original.gif The teacher made them (polystyrene ball with ribbon & sequins) and popped a tiny gift tag on them for each child.

Very sweet!

#13 koalas

My Pre Primary class will each receive a story book this year.

#14 threetimesblessed

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

Last year I gave the class yoyo's and skipping ropes, with a lolly bag and card.

In previous years, notepads and pencils, cars, bracelets, card games, play dough tubs, crayons etc.

#15 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

My kindergarten teacher (22 years ago) gave us a beautiful hand made card at the end of the year. She had drawn a cartoon of us on the front and wrote a beautiful poem inside each card about what qualities she liked about us and what she thought the future held for us.

Sadly she passed away last weekend but I still have the card as it has special meaning to me.

Funnily enough that same year I made her a Christmas candle setting which looking at photos was really hideous (but to my 6 yr old eyes looked amazing). My Mum saw her not too long ago and she told my Mum that she still had the candle setting and every Christmas she lights it.

#16 Jjbeanz

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Yes a few times, usually some kind of stationary or lolly

#17 marnie27

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (puffsgirl11 @ 18/11/2012, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My kindergarten teacher (22 years ago) gave us a beautiful hand made card at the end of the year. She had drawn a cartoon of us on the front and wrote a beautiful poem inside each card about what qualities she liked about us and what she thought the future held for us.

Sadly she passed away last weekend but I still have the card as it has special meaning to me.

Funnily enough that same year I made her a Christmas candle setting which looking at photos was really hideous (but to my 6 yr old eyes looked amazing). My Mum saw her not too long ago and she told my Mum that she still had the candle setting and every Christmas she lights it.

Aww, that's so sweet - made me teary.

#18 petals1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

2 of the nicest ones I remember my boys getting were a card with a long message wrtten inside that would have obviously taken ages for the teacher to write them all, it was very specific about each child.The other was a dvd of performances that the class had done throughout the year. e.g an Australian history play ( just done in the classroom) SHe had filmed it though, included each child  then made a copy for each class member. Loved it biggrin.gif

#19 Rhylia

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Not a gift as such but DS once had a teacher who was leaving in 3rd term to have a baby.  She made laminated cards with each child's name and some descriptive words about them.  On the back was this:

"I'm glad I was your teacher
I've come to love you so
I can't believe the end is here
I hate to have to go
Remember all the fun we had
In all the things we did
But, most of all remember....
You're a very special kid!"

I love it and will always remember the smile on DS's face when he read it wub.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.