What's on the menu?
Ideas for dinner..

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

What you guys cooking for dinner today?
Would love some ideas please. Sick of cooking the same things week in week out.

#2 bubbanme

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

I'm making open lentil burgers tonight. No recipe just kind of going to chuck it all together & hope for the best original.gif

#3 cardcarryingferal

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Vegetable calzone with salad. Never made them before so no idea how they're going to turn out!

Last night I had Nigel Slater's zucchini, dill and feta fritters - really delicious.

#4 Funnington

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Roast beef & Yorkshire pudding, homemade gravy, roast & steamed vegetables.

Last night we had the most simple, delicious dinner.  It's one of our favourites.  Buy good ham - I go to a gourmet delicatessen and get free-range.  Serve the ham cold with mashed potatoes, steamed cabbage and baby peas.  Everyone goes mad for it and it's so basic!

#5 ladyantebellum

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

We are having lasagna which ive already made this morning.
Am also in the process of making a lamb casserole (lamb chops/onions/tinned tomatoes/random veges i need to use up).
Will also make some savoury mince to freeze (im 37 weeks pregnant so trying to freeze some meals).

#6 ChunkyChook

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Should be a master piece because I never have time for anything special during the week but I can see it involving, fresh rolls, roast chook, lettuce, cheese, beetroot, tomato, carrot, avo and mayo. Oh and some nice crackers and dip!

#7 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (Funnington @ 18/11/2012, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Roast beef & Yorkshire pudding, homemade gravy, roast & steamed vegetables.

Last night we had the most simple, delicious dinner.  It's one of our favourites.  Buy good ham - I go to a gourmet delicatessen and get free-range.  Serve the ham cold with mashed potatoes, steamed cabbage and baby peas.  Everyone goes mad for it and it's so basic!

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum! Will there be lots and lots of gravy?

#8 idignantlyright

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Satay chicken and rice.
DH cooked it on friday afternoon and then got a call saying he had to go interstate at 6am yesterday. So we stuck it in the freezer.

#9 lisacat

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Butterfly Roast lamb with plum jam cooked on the BBQ.
This will be served with roast veg done in the oven.

#10 cameo

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Pasta with pesto so really really easy, esp as someone made the Pesto for me!

#11 Funnington

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Will there be lots and lots of gravy?

Yup, swimming in it!  I start the piece of beef off with water (almost to the brim) in the baking tray.  Season the beef with salt & pepper then pour the meat juice into the jug and use that as the base for the gravy - I just use a few tablespoons of gravox to thicken.  My aunt use to thicken with flour and a bit of beef stock, I found it a bit tasteless.

We always have heaps of beef and gravy left over so I keep the gravy in a container and while this sounds gross, it kind of solidifies in the fridge overnight to a jelly like consistency (it's not fatty) which can be spread on a sandwich for delicious roast beef toasties.  

Cabbage water is also brilliant to add to your pan gravy (my English nanny does this).

Edited by Funnington, 18 November 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#12 Cherish

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Purple cabbage water makes excellent coloured gravy!

Purple cabbage water makes excellent coloured gravy!

#13 greypink

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

We are having chicken and mushroom pasta. We usually have some kind of roast on Sunday nights but we are all feeling lazy today so easy pasta it is instead!

#14 Zahhy

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Going to MILs for a baked dinner - saves me thinking about it! biggrin.gif

#15 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for your ideas!
There are some yummy meals here.

I'm going with Funnington's ham, mash and cabbage tonight. Haven't had that for years. My dear old nan used to serve it with creamy parsley sauce so I'm doing that too.

#16 Pssst...

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

This:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/15856/lemo...hed+eggs+rocket

#17 d├ęsir d'amour

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Birds eye barramundi from a box with home-made lard chips and salad

#18 Ianthe

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Nothing exciting but roast chicken with roast veges and gravy.

#19 Funnington

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I'm going with Funnington's ham, mash and cabbage tonight. Haven't had  that for years. My dear old nan used to serve it with creamy parsley  sauce so I'm doing that too.

It's delicious isn't it?  We do the same with leftover corned beef.  I slice it thick and serve with mashed Parmesan potatoes and steamed peas and/or cabbage.  I love cold meat with hot vegetables.  It's ideal for warmer weather when you're over salads and BBQ's.  Kind of an all-year-round type of food.

#20 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Chicken Chow Mein for DD and I.

#21 Iris37

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

We are having a roast tonight, like every Sunday lol. My Mum comes for Dinner on a Sunday every week. We usually have either Roast Chicken or Pork, sometimes Lamb or beef. Tonight is Chicken with roast potatos and Pumpkin, peas, carrots, beans and silverbeet out of the garden. Dessert will be Jelly and icecream this week  biggrin.gif

#22 3littlegents

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Had a BBQ lunch so while I am going to work hubby and te kids are have leftovers.
3 different types of sausages, brown rice & quinoa salad, mixed salad, and potatoes.
I also made a quinoa and mushroom tart - it was beyond yum and I saves the leftovers for my dinner.

#23 Lazycow

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Roast lamb, Yorkshire puds, mashed and roast potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, sprouts and peas. Finished off with lashings of gravy and mint sauce. Yummmmmm

Desert will probably be Lemon meringue pie if I can get my a*se in gear biggrin.gif

#24 Mung bean

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

We are having grilled fish with baked chips.

We have recently got onto shopping at Aldi and they do a nice packet of NZ frozen Hoki for $10 a bag. Tonight i'll season it with pepper, coriander, lemon and herbs they do season and cut chat potatoes in the oven.

Simple but yum. We have also been on a mission to mix it up a bit. The other night we have mint and lamb burgers using lamb mince, Thai style chicken mince wrapped in lettuce leaves and Creamy zucchini and chicken pasta.

Not heaps adventurous but now that we are so busy I tend to save special cooking for weekends and dinner guests.

#25 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (Mung bean @ 18/11/2012, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are having grilled fish with baked chips.

We have recently got onto shopping at Aldi and they do a nice packet of NZ frozen Hoki for $10 a bag. Tonight i'll season it with pepper, coriander, lemon and herbs they do season and cut chat potatoes in the oven.

Simple but yum. We have also been on a mission to mix it up a bit. The other night we have mint and lamb burgers using lamb mince, Thai style chicken mince wrapped in lettuce leaves and Creamy zucchini and chicken pasta.

Not heaps adventurous but now that we are so busy I tend to save special cooking for weekends and dinner guests.

Fish sounds yum. I buy the basa fish from Aldi, it's so good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.