Surviving insomnia - chat with me?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 statua angelam

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

So I'm up again, wide awake when I should be asleep.  EB says 6,322 of you are also here...

Why are you still awake?  Anyone want to chat for a bit?

#2 petals1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

going to bed now sorry, should have an hour ago

#3 Old Grey Mare

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Still awake because this is my favourite time of day. Everything that needed to be done is done, everyone else is asleep so I have the whole world to myself. I often make cakes at this time of day or read or did research for assignments when I was studying. It could be genetic as my mother is also a night owl and we often ring each other around this time.

#4 JuliaGulia

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

I am not happy to be here. I've been in bed for an hour and a half, and will be up again at 5.45 for a 12 hour shift. Just lying here awake with no good reason.

#5 statua angelam

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

Hah!  My mum used to work night shift.  I am a night owl, but I also hate it when I am tired but just lie there with everything whirring around my head and my body refusing to sleep.

#6 oliboli

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

I'm in WA, so it's only 9.15 here! I'm about to go to bed, hope you get some sleep soon original.gif

#7 chic mummy

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

ill most likely be up the whole night as i am an insomniac as well and i have trouble getting to sleep especially with so much on my mind right now - so im here as a chat buddy if you havent already fallen asleep

#8 Paddlepop

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

I'm here. Last night was a bit of drama with DH ending up back in hospital via ambulance after he had continual bleeding in his throat from his tonsil removal. We thought that his recovery was going well until last night when that happened.

He's back home now after having the blood vessels cauterised with silver nitrate in theatre. He was discharged this afternoon. DD was very happy to have Daddy come again.

We've had another good storm here in Brisbane this evening. This time we had hail.

Have you always had insomnia Ange Vert? Or is it because you've finished your studies for the year?

#9 epg

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (oliboli @ 18/11/2012, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in WA, so it's only 9.15 here! I'm about to go to bed, hope you get some sleep soon original.gif

9.23 now.  I'm going to bed as soon as I stop wasting time on EB.

#10 ballogo

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

I'm up because I'm writing reports.

I am very happy to say that I have now completed a first draft of 26 reports and now only have maths reports to write for another 21 students.  

But like Old Grey Mare if I'm not working (very rare) once I'm done with all the household chores (I've just been reminded of the whites sitting soaking in the washing machine) I actually just sit and read, or play on my tablet or watch TV.  There's no one else up.  No one wants anything of me.  No one is in my space.  It's just me.

#11 CallMeProtart

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

I'm trying to work on my friggin website. However I am neither a programmer nor a graphic designer, and it's going really badly!
I'm just going to leave the stupid mismatching add to cart logo alone instead of trying to change it to a matching colour and be so much uglier sad.gif

#12 ~~Cleopatra~~

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I'm up after spending most of the day in bed with a headache that is now gone wacko.gif going to go back soon though, its 11.42 in qld

#13 CallMeProtart

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

12.52 in syd sad.gif I guess I'm procrastinating because as soon as I wake, it's back to the kid-grindstone and I haven't acheived a fraction of what I want to do!

#14 statua angelam

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

Ouch, Paddlepop, your poor DH!  Hope he has a better run from here on.

QUOTE (Paddlepop @ 19/11/2012, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you always had insomnia Ange Vert? Or is it because you've finished your studies for the year?

Hah.  Who's been reading my other threads?   laughing2.gif

I've had insomnia on and off for a long time - probably before I had ever heard the word!  I'm prone to anxiety and it's one of the big symptoms I tend to struggle with.  Yes, the "OMG it's the summer break, what am I going to do to stay sane?" thing isn't helping, but as it happens I have other crap stressing me as well.

I haven't been following the news, I gather the storm in Brisbane has done a lot of heavy damage?

#15 Froger

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

I'm on summer break too. I'm up because I currently am suffering from an addiction to Gene Hunt.

Yes, Brisbane had a big storm. Had to rush out and cover my car with the kid''s doonas as it was hailing.

#16 Starletta

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

I have anxiety that gets worse at night so I lie awake most nights. I'm also refreshing for any news of that missing women in Melbourne which is a bit stupid and won't help me get to sleep!

Will regret it when the baby wakes for a feed at 4 am!

#17 statua angelam

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

What's your website selling, Ali?

#18 CallMeProtart

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

Alright, will regret this in the morning so I'm off. Goodnight folks!

#19 CallMeProtart

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Ange Vert @ 19/11/2012, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's your website selling, Ali?

'Selling' may not be the correct word at my current rate of business Tounge1.gif
Pettiskirts.

So Ange, on the other thread it sounded like your pregnancy was not planned, is that a fair surmise?

Yes I can be lured back to stay awake longer with only a little distraction Tounge1.gif

#20 Paddlepop

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

I spend a fair bit of time reading EB! I just don't tend to say much.

There hasn't been as much damage in Brisbane as I would have expected considering how severe the storms have been. There's been quite a few trees down and landing on cars or roads. A school had one go through the roof of a classroom. There has been localised flooding resulting in cars being swamped. A few weekend markets got wiped out and drenched. People have lost electricity. Overall, I don't think that many houses have been damaged, so that is unusual. Northern NSW has also had storms. The news tonight showed a water spout that had formed over the sea at somewhere in NSW.

I hate anxiety. Thankfully mine is controlled by antidepressants. I have depression too but the antidepressants take care of that also. It was horrible when it was uncontrolled. I'm generally asleep within moments of my head on the pillow. Last night, actually 4:30am Sunday morning, I did have trouble going to sleep because of DH being back in hospital, and the worry of that. Very glad that I don't have insomnia.

#21 Froger

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Was that all in your area Paddlepop? Because I only got some hail, and lots of lightning mainly.

And CallMeAlliG was that you asking about your website on EB the other day? I had a look and the petticoats are divine! (If that was you, your website looks good too).

#22 Majeix

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Well I fell asleep when I was putting the little one to bed and so had a two hour nap in the evening. So I'm wide awake. I'm a bit of a night owl and insomniac anyway. So I’m watching Mash, finding some craft activities to do at dd1’s school and with my little one in the coming week and flicking through house designs. I’m also considering a midnight snack… What I should be doing is some cleaning up….

How is your Masters going btw Ange?

#23 poss71

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

Does anyone have a suggestion for curing DH's snoring which seems to really kick in on the nights where I have said "I've set my alarm for 6"? It's 1.24am and he's still rumbling away...

I have court tomorrow!

#24 statua angelam

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 19/11/2012, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So Ange, on the other thread it sounded like your pregnancy was not planned, is that a fair surmise?

Yes I can be lured back to stay awake longer with only a little distraction Tounge1.gif

Oh, alright, part of the back story then.

No, my pregnancy was planned.  The thing is, it was DH who was desperate to be a dad, who wanted so much to have a child, all of that.  (You know all of those threads in here with women having that longing and wondering how to convince their adamant DH?  We were their mirror universe).  I love him enough to agree to a child - and I love her.  She's strong and smart and beautiful and she's taking on the world with an absolutely awesome spirit.  

I just hate being a mum.  I hate the way it impacts on the things I actually want for my life, I hate the way it drags at my spirit, I hate the way that things other people rejoice in (like playing with a child) are "work" for me.  And I hate that somehow I wasn't enough for DH for who I was, that I had to become this other thing and do this other thing in order for him to be fulfilled.  And I hate that it's me who a) does most of the work to actually make it all work, and b) makes most of the sacrifices.  DH gets to waltz out the door to work every weekday and leave me wondering how I'm going to face yet another day of a life I didn't want.

The worst of this will pass - in another year I'll qualify and we plan to swap, I'll work and he'll be at home.  But it's proving to be a very long two years, and it hasn't helped that my plans to keep a bit of casual work - erm, how to put this politely - ran afoul of a misogynistic dinosaur.  It's placing quite some demands on my ingenuity to keep my head above water emotionally.

#25 CallMeProtart

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 19/11/2012, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And CallMeAlliG was that you asking about your website on EB the other day? I had a look and the petticoats are divine! (If that was you, your website looks good too).

Probably! About a week or two ago?
Thanks original.gif Yes the skirts are lovely, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get on google and all that stuff, I've been reading and so on and most of it just goes over my head. I guess on the plus side a big part of this was a learning experience, as opposed to any belief that the business would be profitable, so that it certainly is! Just not sure what's the point of learning stuff that I may never need in any other setting, or that there are people out there who are already experts in know, etc etc... but that might just be the late night grumpiness talking...!  rant.gif

Poss... if you find a solution, please tell me! My sharp elbow to the ribs fix only gets me about 10s reprieve...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.