Hit a snag.
Not food lol.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ~RunningWoman~

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

So a few of you may have seen my "Right, so I'm going to lose weight" thread in here.

I've hit an issue that has left me uncertian as to where to from here. The general plan I was following was Eat whatever I want but only when i'm hungry. And, truth be told, its working. Lost about three kilos so far, though hovering at the moment.

The problem is, if left to choose what I really want, I'll always, without a doubt, choose sugary, floury carby deliciousness. So while my weight is slowly coming down, I'm feeling sicker, more sluggish and look terrible.

So what do I do? Try to make myself realise the importance of feeling great, not just thin, involves going against what my 'food heart' really desires.

If I were to say, follow a food plan that excludes sugary/floury will my longing for those foods and sadness that i'm not eating them pass do you think? Which brings me to another issue, my depression has flared up again since I've been eating this way, even though I'm losing weight, which I thought would make me happier??

What do you guys think? What should I do? Persist or try a different approach?

#2 Fyn Angelot

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

On the rest I can't really help you, but on this...

QUOTE (CottageWitch @ 19/11/2012, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my depression has flared up again since I've been eating this way, even though I'm losing weight, which I thought would make me happier??

When I was learning to manage my depression, one thing I found was that eating healthily - a good range of fruit and veg in particular - made a huge difference to keeping my mood reasonable and stable.  I never managed to give up the junk, but if I could make it an extra over a healthy foundation it made a really big difference.

I don't know all the theory as to why exactly that should be, but I saw it over and over in the reading I did and found it true for me.

#3 Neko NoNo

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

it's hard work isn't it! One thing that works for me is telling myself I can eat anything I want... as long as I have had my recommended fruit and veg for the day. I find that eating 5 serves of veg is really quite filling and if I mix it with some sensible proteins there isn't any room left for many treats!

just my 2c. good luck!

#4 ~RunningWoman~

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Thanks Ange, it makes sense to me. I was only mildly depressed before but since eating a crappy diet its really flared up. So I think I should go healthier, but then I get confused cause that goes against the intuitive eating aproach?? GAAAHHH, Why does it have to be so hard??

#5 cardamom

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

I'm in a similar boat to you OP; trying to lose weight by listening to my body. Problem is, my body seems to prefer cake!

In my experience, excluding the things you really love only leads to misery. What I try to do, is to eat nutritious foods most of the time, while deliberately allowing myself regular indulgences that I really enjoy (I'm talking daily, whether it's a Freddo, piece of slice or cake, a small ice cream, etc.)

Could you try thinking of ways to make healthy foods taste really delicious? For example, what are your favourite fruits and vegetables? How do you like them prepared?

I love roasted veges, so throwing some roasted pumpkin into salad or pasta feels like a healthy treat. A few nights ago I had green beans, lightly steamed, and dressed with olive oil and sesame seeds - healthy, without feeling like I was forcing myself to eat rabbit food. For lunch the last couple of days, I've had a big mixed salad with a heap of delicious tzatziki on the side. Normally I would force myself to eat it plain, and loathe it; this, I actually enjoy!

Well done on your loss so far  original.gif

#6 ~RunningWoman~

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (Kate-ko @ 19/11/2012, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's hard work isn't it! One thing that works for me is telling myself I can eat anything I want... as long as I have had my recommended fruit and veg for the day. I find that eating 5 serves of veg is really quite filling and if I mix it with some sensible proteins there isn't any room left for many treats!

just my 2c. good luck!

This is a good idea, I just dunno if I'd stick to it. I'm thinking its the way to go though. Though the chances of me overeating when I do have the treats are massive, which is what i'm trying to avoid.

#7 Elemenopee

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have no qualifications in this field, I can only tell you my experience.
Last year, I lost 20 kgs eating Low Carb/High protien. I felt good. My skin looked good, my nails were stronger. Then, I was asked to do baking for a couple of events, including afternoon tea for a wedding. Of course, I needed to sample everything to make sure it was up to scratch. Once I got the taste for sugary, carby foods again, it was hard to stop. Before I knew it, 6 months had passed and I had put 10kgs back on. The idea of eating healthy was too hard. The idea of exercise was too hard. Only the prospect of my brothers wedding in Hong Kong this December and the thought of going to HK Disneyland and not fitting into rides was enough to motivate me again.
As soon as I started eating low carb again, I was back into exercising (an hour walk a night), and I stopped feeling hungry and thinking about food all the time. After a breakfast or sauteed onino, tomato and 3 scrambled egg I am satisied until lunch. I eat loads more veges now, so I think nutritionally I am getting a lot more nutrients and vitamins.  
I've lost 9gs in about 6 weeks, and have about 20kgs to go. I know that as soon as I eat carby, sugary foods again I will put it back on, as it makes me feel hungry, lethargic and I stop caring about losing weight.
I found the book 'Why we get fat and what to do about it' particularly good.

#8 ~RunningWoman~

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (cardamom @ 19/11/2012, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in a similar boat to you OP; trying to lose weight by listening to my body. Problem is, my body seems to prefer cake!

Could you try thinking of ways to make healthy foods taste really delicious? For example, what are your favourite fruits and vegetables? How do you like them prepared?

Well done on your loss so far  original.gif

Mine too happy.gif

I don't do fruit actually. But veggies I like. Any kind too which helps.

Thanks original.gif

#9 Clever Clogs

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

You might be interested in Dr John McDougall, you can eat starchy carbs. But you will have to make other changes.

#10 Apageintime

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

I have this problem too.

I always try and eat healthy first. So I wait til I'm hungry and then eat carrot sticks. Then I tell myself if 20 mins after that I'm still hungry I can have something sugary. I usually am not hungry after waiting though.

I've also found by trying to eat more fruit and veg I'm actually starting to enjoy it more. I'll actually take celary sticks over cookies most days now. You've got to get your tastes used to the healthy. Well thats at least what worked for me.

#11 LB_K

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Your "food heart" sounds more like an addiction to sugar. Once you break from that you will start to notice your body craving what it actually needs: water and fresh foods. I have no experience whatsoever with depression so recommend you see a professional, but changing your diet to not include all those sugary and carby foods will only do your body good, and hopefully: your mind too.

#12 ~RunningWoman~

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (Elemenopee @ 19/11/2012, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no qualifications in this field, I can only tell you my experience.
Last year, I lost 20 kgs eating Low Carb/High protien. I felt good. My skin looked good, my nails were stronger. Then, I was asked to do baking for a couple of events, including afternoon tea for a wedding. Of course, I needed to sample everything to make sure it was up to scratch. Once I got the taste for sugary, carby foods again, it was hard to stop. Before I knew it, 6 months had passed and I had put 10kgs back on. The idea of eating healthy was too hard. The idea of exercise was too hard. Only the prospect of my brothers wedding in Hong Kong this December and the thought of going to HK Disneyland and not fitting into rides was enough to motivate me again.
As soon as I started eating low carb again, I was back into exercising (an hour walk a night), and I stopped feeling hungry and thinking about food all the time. After a breakfast or sauteed onino, tomato and 3 scrambled egg I am satisied until lunch. I eat loads more veges now, so I think nutritionally I am getting a lot more nutrients and vitamins.  
I've lost 9gs in about 6 weeks, and have about 20kgs to go. I know that as soon as I eat carby, sugary foods again I will put it back on, as it makes me feel hungry, lethargic and I stop caring about losing weight.
I found the book 'Why we get fat and what to do about it' particularly good.

Great post thanks! I've read that book actually. Inface I've read a lot of LC info over the last year but part of is just terrified to think that its what my deep down problem is.

#13 bonnybabe

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

listen to your body, not your inner voice.  Your body is telling you you feel slugish and crap. So eat when you are hungry and eat foods that are good for your body.  Don't behave like a teenager, show your inner voice some discipline.

#14 MintyBiscuit

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

I'm currently trying to lose some weight and have a healthier diet too. The way I've found to get around wanting to eat crap all the time is that during the week I stick to a pretty strict menu of good foods, then on the weekend I can have treats. It's been working relatively well so far - I'm finding that I'm not bingeing on bad foods like I was, and I'm really savouring the treats when I have them. Even when I've had a treat during the week, I'm only having a small treat - last week I was craving chocolate so bought a single serve tim tam bar, whereas a month ago I would've bought a whole packet and eaten it in a day.

I definitely feel a lot better, physically and mentally, when I'm eating better and getting some exercise. I suffer from depression too, and was feeling really flat the last few days, and I realise it's because I'd been sick earlier in the week and fell off the wagon. It's definitely an adjustment, but it is worthwhile, and you'll find that you enjoy the bad stuff much more when it is an actual treat rather than an every day thing

#15 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

I'm a total carb addict.

so when I eat carbs, I try and make them "meal carbs".  Pasta, potato, rice.

"Junk carbs" are rarely purchased, but if I do, they're good quality, like Walkers Shortbread.  

Maybe this might help?

#16 ~RunningWoman~

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (bonnybabe @ 19/11/2012, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't behave like a teenager, show your inner voice some discipline.

Ooh, I like that!

QUOTE (NapCat @ 19/11/2012, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a total carb addict.

so when I eat carbs, I try and make them "meal carbs".  Pasta, potato, rice.

"Junk carbs" are rarely purchased, but if I do, they're good quality, like Walkers Shortbread.  

Maybe this might help?

This is good too!

#17 Molondy

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

There is lots of good advice in here already but I thought I'd add my spot of encouragement.

You have successfully started tweaking your attitude - now its time to tweak (not immediately radically overhaul) your diet. Once a week make a healthier change - not all at once.

So if you love loads of white bread - swap to a majority of wholemeal bread. Add more protein to you carby snacks (ie natural peanut butter on wholemeal crackers or bread) or a small (repeat small) handful of raw nuts with fresh fruit. ONe of my huge weaknesses is cheese. If I'm having a particularly carby day (ie pasta for dinner) I swap crackers for a small apple and have that with my cheese. Its lower in cals and higher in nutrients and, essentially, yummier - a win all round.

The week later do something else (another thing I do is try to only have 2 carby meals a day - so toast for breaky and pasta for dinner  means protein and salad for lunch not a sandwich).

Then the week after that.

And yes, if you stop eating it so much you DO stop craving it HOWEVER accept that there will be days when the cravings arise (for me when I am tired and run down). Just don't take that as a licence to go berserk and don't give up entirely when you have one bad day.

Edited by Molondy, 19 November 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#18 1/2aDozen

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

listen to your body, not your inner voice. Your body is telling you you feel slugish and crap. So eat when you are hungry and eat foods that are good for your body. Don't behave like a teenager, show your inner voice some discipline.

Absolutely can identify with this advice... Thanks!

#19 *mylittleprince*

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

I think this is the best eating plan:
Eat when you're hungry
Stop when you're full
Make good choices

80/20 rule - 80% of the time eat well and 20% of the time you can enjoy treats.

#20 ~RunningWoman~

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Well, thanks for the inspiration guys, just had my first day back on  Paleo!! (Have done it before) and feeling great, so much better already!

Also posted this in the paleo thread.

#21 carls888

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

I would just like to add my favourite blog. Andie lost half her body weight and blogs about her life since (as well as during and before) and is an amazing writer.

I thought of  this post while I was reading this thread.

I hope it helps someone. She helps me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.