22 replies to this topic

#1 Mummy2RyanandAlex

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hi Ladies,
I really need some ideas of what to buy for my son who will be 8 in Feb
Thanks

#2 FeralBeez

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

My 7.5 year old boy is getting an ipod touch for christmas, as well as some accessories. Before we'd decided on that I'd also bought him a digital camera. I think he'll get both still, will see how I feel closer to the time!
A new net for his basketball ring.
My mum and dad are giving him a boxed set of Roald Dahl books.
MIL will give him some smiggle stuff.

#3 Chocolate Addict

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

My 7yo son wants Skylander Giants and all the figures that go with it. (he is getting the game and some figures). I also have a tshirt to go with it.

He also wants the new micro chargers. Will probably ask his Uncle to buy this.

I am buying him a slip and slide water thingy for the back yard too. (our water restrictions are no longer in place original.gif )

Oh and he is getting an iPod (with some free games and a few songs) so that is probably it. Maybe a few little things.

The iPod is from me, the skylander game is from Santa. Tounge1.gif

#4 =R2=

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

I was at the Australian Geographic shop yesterday and they had Spy Gear (night vision goggles, lie detector machine etc), microscopes, metal detector, science sets and lots of other ideas. Swimming gear are also in abundance in other shops (towels, goggles, pool toys, boogie boards). Other than that, NERF guns, Lego Ninjago and the likes are also very popular.

#5 kittennic

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

OK my nearly 8-y/o son will be getting a fair number of books (Roald Dahl, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Magic Tree House, Guinness Book of Records, Brer Rabbit, 'Lost Thing' by Shaun Tan), Ice Age 4 movie, a kids hiking backpack, a new watch, jigsaw puzzle, computer game, Junior Cluedo.
That's from all the extended family too, mind, and includes his birthday presents as well (which is a week before Christmas) I just know what they're all giving him because I help organise it all original.gif

Edited by kittennic, 19 November 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#6 -*meh*-

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

power wing scooter
DSi game
dvds
moon chair
lego
lego man storage thingy

ummm and i can't remember what elese is on the layby!

#7 mychubbybubbies

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

My just turned 7 year old is getting an Ipad mini and star wars headphones from Santa and from us he is getting lego, books (kids australian geographic and others)  and he also wants skylanders giants.

#8 tothebeach

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

My 8 year in Feb son will be getting an Android tablet as well as Lego.

#9 mnsr621

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Skylander Giants and maybe a remote control car, really stuck for ideas this year as well. He isnt even asking for anything, he got an ipod touch for his birthday in August

#10 IsolaBella

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Trying to convince DH an ipad mini.

Ninja go Lego set already purchased.

#11 barrington

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Lego

Night vision goggles

Roald Dahl bookset

New paddle for his kayak

#12 fran123

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Wow, so many electronic gifts.  We are steering away from electronic gifts as he uses his laptop and DH's phone on the weekend. Plus I really just don't know where to start with eelctronics.  Admitedly though, I'm not going too well on the present buying. So far its lego, and a soccor ball on a pole thingy and a book. Gee I do need to get busy!! Was also thinking basketball ring (although when I mention it he doesn't seem that interested).

#13 NunSoFeral

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Fran123 - what is he into?

Motorised Mechano
Board Games - Monopoly, Operation, Cluedo
Chemistry Sets/Physics set - some of the Nat Geo ones look fun
New bike/scooter/skateboard/rollerblades
Big Jigsaw - some of the Star Wars ones are great.
DVD's.
Art stuff - *shudder*.

entropy toys do some nice lines - magic sets, chemistry sets, etc

ETA - Battleship is also a good "board" game

Edited by gettheetoanunnery, 23 November 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#14 naturalgoodness

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

My son will be 8 in December so for birthday & xmas we have bought -

Adventure Time T-Shirt
Star Wars Clone Wars T-Shirt
True Heroes series pirate pack & plane pack
Crayola Grab n Go Art Case
Diary of a Wimpy Kid book set
Google Nexus 7" tablet
Remote Control Car
Guess Who updated game
X-Box Games
Wii Game
Art pack
Uno
Pictureka

He is also sharing a trampoline with his sister who is also having a birthday in December

#15 Ferelsmegz

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Books, board games (as per request), lego, lego, lego - did I mention lego? A bike... and other random stuff...

#16 Majeix

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Okay I have daughters but my eldest is often more into boy toys. This year she is asking for circus type stuff. A spinning plate (this plate you can spin on a long stick) she will get this they are so great and easy to use (she brought one home from school to try) and I can get one off ebay really cheaply. Diablo sticks (this I'm sure we have in the cuboard so I won't buy but will find her some).I think I might also buy her some juggling balls or some poi (might be easier for the uncodinated   wink.gif ). Last year she asked for a skateboard and skates etc. As well as taht she got some books like horrid henry (she loved that and there great books)She also wants some more mighty beans and another track. (And a jewelry box but that will be no help to you  happy.gif ) We wondered about a science kit but in the end we are going with a bunch of little science experiment tubes and some slime in her stocking. Oh last year we got her a bubble rocket too.  original.gif

#17 IsolaBella

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

DH overrode ipad mini idea.

Ninja go Lego going back in favour of big Lego Star Wars set.... Millennium falcon ( on sale from US).

#18 monkeys mum

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

My ds is getting:

Android tablet
Foldable headphones
Ninjago
Beywheelz
Skateboard
Scalextrix
Pokemon ds game

That is over hs birthday and Christmas, hes turning six but into older things. We're opting for electronics as the big Christmas gift as he doesn't need more toys lol

#19 tres-chic

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

DS1 is nearly 7.

He is getting a Radio Flyer 'Skate 2 Scoot' skateboard, a pillow pet (which he's probably too old for but what the heck), some clothing & swimmers, Harry Potter DVD, NRL towel and guff and some Wii games.

#20 mumtoactivetoddler

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

DS 7.5 is getting the lego monster castle from us, lego police helicopter from grandma, lego castle set from grandpa and a lego star wars set from his aunt (see a pattern here?) He is also getting a roald dahl set and a dress up constume (a knight). DS is lego mad though. Oh and he is getting the lego harry potter bus from another aunt. I am getting the ipad for christmas although am considering an ipod touch for next birthday but probably not.

#21 notorico

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

DS who is 7.5 is getting:

Lego Monster Fighters Haunted House
Air Hog
Fire Vision football
DVDs
Shorts & T shirt
PJs
Yoyo
Handball
Angry Birds Game
Annoying Orange
Headphones for his ipod
Ipod case
The 39 Clues box set
Socks
and a few other bits and pieces

#22 SeaPrincess

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Lego here too.  DS1 has also asked for a skateboard. I think I'll get him an iTunes voucher so he can choose some apps for my/DH's iPods instead of relying on us!

That's as far as I've got - I'm planning DS2's first proper birthday party at the moment, so Christmas is taking a backseat!

#23 claptrap

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

I thought I tended to buy too much for DS but reading this thread has persuaded me that I'm stingy compared to many!

Hey if I could afford it I'd go overboard too sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.