Same-sex/Gay Marriage

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Frankly my Dear

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

If a man & man get married (or woman and woman  wink.gif ) in a city/country where gay marraige is legal then say move to an area/country where it is not, does the new place recognize the marriage??

For example, say a couple that lived in and got married in Norway, then decided to move to AUS, would we recognize their marriage?

Or another example, an australian moves to norway for a number of years and gets married to a norweigian then they decide to move back to Aus, would the partner be able to come here on a spouse visa????

Edited by Frankly my Dear, 19 November 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#2 tothebeach

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

an australian moves to norway for a number of years and gets married to a norweigian then they decide to move back to Aus, would the partner be able to come here on a spouse visa

My understanding is that same sex spousal visas are available to Australia, provided you can show that you are in a committed relationship.   Same as for hetrosexual defacto couples.

#3 kahm

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Well, from my understanding (and there are those who know much more about it than me):

1) No, Aus doesn't recognise legal SS marriages from other jurisdictions.  We can thank Jim 'bottom of the barrel' Wallace for that one - the ACL lobbied former PM John Howard to change the Marriage Act to stipulate that 'marriage in Australia is between a man and a woman'.  The law also states that that phrase must be said at all marriage ceremonies, just to rub people's noses in it.  That's why DP and I haven't got married yet, we don't want to until everyone can, or at least until we don't have to have that sh*te said in public.

2) While Aus doesn't recognise SS marriages, it does allow 'interdependent' visas, which is essentially a partner visa for people who aren't, or can't be, married in Australia.

Clear as mud?

#4 la di dah

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (Frankly my Dear @ 19/11/2012, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If a man & man get married (or woman and woman  wink.gif ) in a city/country where gay marraige is legal then say move to an area/country where it is not, does the new place recognize the marriage??

For example, say a couple that lived in and got married in Norway, then decided to move to AUS, would we recognize their marriage?

Or another example, an australian moves to norway for a number of years and gets married to a norweigian then they decide to move back to Aus, would the partner be able to come here on a spouse visa????

No, they wouldn't. The best the married-in-Norway Aussie and his husband could hope for would be a case for a de facto visa, and then only if they had been living together long enough.

If my husband were a woman, I would not have been able to get my visa, because while I qualified for the Prospective Spousal visa  (i.e. intent to be married... we were not even married yet) I did not qualify for the de facto one, because I had always lived in the States and he had always lived in Oz and we only visited each other. If we had gotten married in Vermont (a state where it is legal) but were both men or both women, Australia would not have recognized it and even married would have had less rights than we did as UNMARRIED heteros.

#5 Frankly my Dear

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Okay, I didn't think Aus recognised it. Sad isn't it?

#6 Illiterati

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Is it sad tht Australia does not recognise other laws from other jurisdictions? For example, polygamy, female circumcision, children marrying old men and so on and so forth. I believe in same sex marriage but saying something is sad because it is recognised and allowed for individuals in one country but not when they move to another isn't a great argument.

#7 Frankly my Dear

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Fair point, but I more meant just sad that we don't allow SS marriage.

#8 Luvmy4ferals

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I have gay friends who live in America. One works across the border of a different state. They are married legally in the state they live in but it is not recognised where the person works so it makes taxes very difficult for them.
Apparently their tax is worked out in the state they work not live & it is different state by state.

Yes it is sad that same sex marriage is not allowed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.