Kitten is fine....
I aged 10 years !

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 mewsings

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

This will probably be funny in 5 years.

I have a litter of four five week old kittens at the moment, with one really adventurous red point.  I was sweeping in my bedroom this morning, when I watched him scramble up on the bed - first one of this litter to do so.

Just as I was thinking 'how cute' he puts on a burst of speed, races across the bed and obviously didn't realise there was an edge.  He goes sailing over and lands essentially 90 degrees to the ground on his head, and goes completely limp.  I go racing over, he's stopped breathing, eyes are open, still has a heart beat.  I slide him on a shirt, start blowing in his mouth,  screech for the kids and call the vet.  

It's a pupil free day here.  DD has a friend for a sleepover last night.   Now please imagine me trying to get a 6, 5 and 3 year old in the car one-handed in their dress up clothes, all the while blowing in this kittens mouth. I'm trying not to move him too much.  I get everyone in,  drive to the vet with kitten on lap who is now breathing, but unconscious.  I have a running commentary from the back seat "  Is it going to die ?"  "I like that one, I hope it's okay" "Mummy, I don't have any shoes on" (that's okay, neither does Mummy) etc..   Kitten is on it's back in the groove of my legs not moving, eyes now closed.

Get to the vet, run up steps, vet takes kitten and I go back and get the kids out.  We look like some weird theatrical troupe.   I have a daggy old house-work dress on, no shoes, no bra, no purse.  DS has socks at least.  Go in and sit down.  DD is wearing a tiara.  DD's friend has a pirate top and a necklace.  

After 15 minutes, the kitten comes to.  Sits up, starts walking around, looks perfectly normal.  Vet verdict is concussion, no fractures apparent,  so anti-inflammatory shot and cage rest for a week.

I think I would like a weeks' cage rest too.......

#2 VioletRose

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Oh my! Good on you for such fast thinking and kitten saving skills. Glad to hear kitten will be fine.

#3 Therese

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

I'm sorry OP but I did giggle (only because I knew the kitten was fine).

I am so pleased the kitten is fine original.gif

#4 mumto3monkeys

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

You might have aged 10 years but the laugh you just gave me made me about 15 years younger!

Thank you.... if you go back and read your post (especially the bit about the theatre troupe) I am sure you will get your 10 years plus a additional few back.

Brilliant original.gif))))

ETA: Please kitten is fine ... even though I am not a cat person. He sounds like the sort of kitten one should keep ... think of all the adventures it will provide if he survives into cat-hood.... besides you have given it sort of mouth-to-mouth ... you are bonded for life.

Edited by mumto3monkeys, 19 November 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#5 Bluenomi

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (Therese @ 19/11/2012, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry OP but I did giggle (only because I knew the kitten was fine).

I am so pleased the kitten is fine original.gif

Same here  biggrin.gif The mental image was just too funny to not giggle since I knew kitten was ok!

Hopefully said kitten won't do it again but if it is like most kittens I know, it's going to be giving you heart attacks for life!

#6 la di dah

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

I want a pic of this red point. He sounds like a devil but completely adorable.

I would have been in tears, btw. You are strong.

#7 my serenity

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

What a fright ! I'm glad you were quick thinking and that the kitty is ok original.gif you  will laugh about it one day

#8 Redonk

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Deary me!! What an adventure!

#9 mewsings

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Thanks everyone, I've calmed down now.

The only quick thinking thing I did was call the vet.  The vet told me he probably would have started breathing on his own but blowing in his mouth would have stimulated him more quickly.  I'm just glad he did that in front of me, and not when I was out.  

For La-Di-Dah :

I think I'm calling him Lazarus from now on.  Or Trouble On A Stick.  He's really cute,  met his potential family on the weekend, so hopefully he's going to keep his remaining 8 lives for them.

#10 missy78

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Just. Adorable.

#11 noi'mnot

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yep, he's beautiful! I'm glad he's ok. And thanks from me too for the giggle, I needed that today! original.gif

#12 la di dah

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Eeeeeeeeeeee.

He's insanely adorable.

#13 PrincessPeach

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Now i want a kitty!

Drat allergies.

#14 *Finn*

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

biggrin.gif OP that was the best story i have read  on EB in ages, but you do deserve a wine!

So glad the kitten was ok too!!

And far out he is cute!!!!

#15 LookMumNoHands

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

You have made my day  biggrin.gif . Thanks for the laugh, you paint a very funny picture!

I'm glad the kitten is ok  happy.gif

#16 FeralSqueakyBee

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

That must have been terrifying! I am so glad the little rascal is ok. He is adorable, almost makes me want another kitten! Then again, I'm not sure I could handle him lol.
My husband and I had to rush our youngest dog to the vet last year, she'd gotten a grass seed stuck up her nose and started sneezing blood. I sat in the back holding her and trying to keep her (and myself) calm, while she sneezed all over me - including in my mouth at one stage  sick.gif.
By the time we got to the emergency vet I looked like I'd walked off the set of a horror movie. Got some really funny looks when I had to walk through the waiting area, barefoot and covered in blood, without the dog!

#17 mewsings

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Esmee @ 19/11/2012, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My husband and I had to rush our youngest dog to the vet last year, she'd gotten a grass seed stuck up her nose and started sneezing blood. I sat in the back holding her and trying to keep her (and myself) calm, while she sneezed all over me - including in my mouth at one stage  sick.gif.
By the time we got to the emergency vet I looked like I'd walked off the set of a horror movie. Got some really funny looks when I had to walk through the waiting area, barefoot and covered in blood, without the dog!

That did make me laugh -  a fellow sufferer of the vet Walk Of Shame.  How much blood did you have to get out of the car ?  I have visions of that scene in Pulp Fiction.

#18 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Keep giggling out loud at the pirate and the princess.......and Lazarus........just THE purrfect name. Thank you, you have made my day.

#19 niggles

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

I don't know too much about cats so I've never seen a red point before. I didn't even know they existed. He is just beautiful!

#20 MoonPie

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

That made me cry. Just a bottom lip wobble till you posted the kitty photo then there were actual tears.

Darn hormones. Can I have her?

#21 Angelot

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Oh, wow.  Want.

Trouble On A Stick?  Toast for short?

#22 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Oh gosh he is adorable.

Very scary and stressful op, glad the kitten is okay.

#23 FaithHopeLove

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Phew! what a cutie and well done on keeping it all together.

#24 lynneyours

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

So it's not true that cats always land on their feet then?   wink.gif

OP - I think you're a legend, giving a kitten mouth-to-mouth - lots of people wouldn't.   And lots wouldn't have taken him to a vet either.
He is very cute!  In a month, when you read the story back, you'll laugh too - you write really well.

#25 *Ker*

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Oh. My. God. I don't like red points, but he is exquisite!!! I'd want to keep him after that. But I doubt my heart could handle him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.