daycare
hesitant about posting this...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 keepnthafaith

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

so without going into too much details what would you think of a daycare where this kind of thing happened

1. as soon as toddlers (as young as about 15 months) wake up they are sent straight outside.....most come stumbling out, very whingy and not happy at all.

2. one child comes stumbling out still holding his bottle where its literally snatched and the carers says 'NO this is for bedtime!!!!!!" sending him into a total meltdown and told to sit on a pillow and clam down (he wouldnt have even been 2)

3. another child had seen the bottle and was obviously wanting a bottle and to go to sleep and was walking around crying (looking for comfort) went up to a window where a carer was on the other side in the staff room she says 'go cry somewhere else' and slams the window shut.

the carers dont really give the children cuddles if they need them and seem to be constantly yelling as in one side of the yard to the other. NO GET OFF THAT, GET DOWN, STOP THAT, NO HITTING, PUT THAT IN THE SAND PIT etc..... there seems to be little interaction with the kids....just sent outside to play for most of the day. not that many activites.....and yes this is a centre that can have more than 50 kids.....

Is this normal?!?!?!

#2 R2B2

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

No. it's not normal.

centres are meant to have structured routines that involve many different types of activities for the children.

#3 ChunkyChook

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

No, it is not normal or acceptable. I dont think you will find anyone who disagrees either.

#4 Bluenomi

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Based on my experience it's not normal and if my child was there I'd be pulling them out.

#5 wallofdodo

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

I wouldn't want my child there.

#6 Lcasey

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Short answer. No. It sounds like a horrible daycare! I would pull my kids out immediately! There is no reason for kids to be treated like that.

#7 Katie_bella

Nope, certainly doesn't happen in our centre. The educaters are always on the ground, playing cuddling, tickling kids. This staff behaviour needs be addressed by the centre manager, but sounds a bit like an ingrained culture in the centre. I would remove my child from that environment and report why to the centre manager (and anyone else who'd listen probaby!)

Edited by Katie_bella, 19 November 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#8 FeralFerretOfDoom

Ccertainly not normal from my experience and I would not send a child of mine to a centre like that if you paid me to.

#9 keepnthafaith

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Cuddles are okay right?! maybe a stupid question but with so many no nos everywhere and the looks i get when im comforting a child thats crying or walks up to me with arms up i get funny looks or to be told they will get over it!!!!!

#10 Oma Desala

Not normal and definitely not right.

#11 SplashingRainbows

No it's not normal.

Depending on how long we had been there and my trust in leadership /
Management I would be reporting it - either in house or to family & community services, and possibly removing my child.

Isolated incident with good relationship with director - report in house.

Not been there long and not working well with director - remove child, report to govt body.

#12 Oma Desala

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (keepnthafaith @ 19/11/2012, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cuddles are okay right?! maybe a stupid question but with so many no nos everywhere and the looks i get when im comforting a child thats crying or walks up to me with arms up i get funny looks or to be told they will get over it!!!!!

It's sad that people are suspicious of a hug or even a pat on the back to comfort a young child. As a parent I couldn't imagine leaving a child to cry because they need to 'toughen up'.  sad.gif

#13 sarkazm76

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Sounds like hell to me - they are doing everyting in way that is exactly opposite to standard operating procedure for children of that age who need security and nurturing - not mean, heartlessness.  I'm distressed just reading that!

At my son's DC (he's 21 months) they do:
* morning play outside
* sit down for morning tea together
* activities
* lunch
* naptime
* afternoon tea
* activities
* snacks
* outside play time.
They sing and dance, do art, learn numbers and letters, have story time, do puzzles.

When he was in the nursery everything was tailored around what the baby needed when they needed it.  And then they had acitvities too.

#14 Natttmumm

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

No its not normal - our daycare had a very structured routine. The only thing I can think of is that its free outside play at around the time I pick up my DD. things can seem a bit chaotic as its around 5pm. Quite a few kids a whingy and all the kids are outside while the inside is cleaned.

At first i was a bit overwhelmed by it but I have been there at other times I am sure now its just that half hour of the day - its usually the half hour that most parents see.

I have experienced a few of the carers being a bit short in their manner with the kids at the same time - but I have also seen some of the kids get really ratty and silly at this time and dont listen. I guess everyones had enough by then.

I would raise the concern by saying you had noticed that .....and could they explain the daily routine etc. I would also do a few surprise visits at different times e.g pick child up really early one day and see if its the same.

Thats what I would do before changing as you might find many are simialr at that time of day

#15 2xmum

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

I wouldn't want my child there either and would pull them out.

They should have structured programs and schedules in place for the children as well as policies and procedures on how the centre is managed - which should not include the behaviours you have described.

They should also be using more 'positive' language to discourage bad behaviour too eg. rather than 'no, don't run inside', it should be 'we only walk inside'.  They should also be happy to comfort the children when they need it.

It doesn't sound like a 'normal' daycare from my experience  - I'd be out of there if I was you.

#16 FeralDancesHere

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (sarkazm76 @ 19/11/2012, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At my son's DC (he's 21 months) they do:
* morning play outside
* sit down for morning tea together
* activities
* lunch
* naptime
* afternoon tea
* activities
* snacks
* outside play time.
They sing and dance, do art, learn numbers and letters, have story time, do puzzles.

This exact schedule for all of the rooms at DS's daycare. The activities obviously vary and some kids don't nap.

As for cuddles, they get and give lots of them. DS even rushes to cuddle the staff (and they'll ask for them) when we see staff out shopping.

There are a few staff who are a bit stricter/less gentle then the others (but still cuddle often). They aren't in the nursery and while it wouldn't be the way I would talk to DS he still seems happy and likes the person so I don't mind.

If my child was in this sort of environment I would pull him out. Even when I had to use childcare for work I would not leave him somewhere that did not nuture him.

Edited by WinterDancesHere, 19 November 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#17 roses99

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

That is terrible! And the opposite to my centre. My daughter is 2 and in the baby room. There are eight kids and two carers and they love the kids. They even tell them they love them. They're gentle and kind and loving. Both middle aged ladies. There is no yelling. Ever. The kids are nurtured and, while there is a rough routine, they sleep when they need to.

#18 roses99

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

That is terrible! And the opposite to my centre. My daughter is 2 and in the baby room. There are eight kids and two carers and they love the kids. They even tell them they love them. They're gentle and kind and loving. Both middle aged ladies. There is no yelling. Ever. The kids are nurtured and, while there is a rough routine, they sleep when they need to.

#19 noonehere

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Not ok or normal.

If i was a working i would quite and contact the childcare board to do a check on the centre ( where they should be pulled up on it)

If it was my child or a friends/family i would be pulling out ASAP and contacting like above.

#20 Floral Arrangement

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

We have attended 3 cc centres with our children none have acted the way you have mentioned staff are acting. I would be making these point to the director of the centre to start with higher up if necessary.

#21 charlie23

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

That is certainly not the norm OP. If the room leader is encouraging / not discouraging this behaviour then I would try and speak with the Director, they may not realise what the room is like?

If they do not take your concerns seriously then I would take it further & report to the relevant authorities.

I would also be looking for a new job. I have worked casually in a centres like this, it is not a good environment nor is it "Quality" care for the children.

I would be interested to know if they have been through accreditation & passed???

Rooms I have run for 2 year olds, typically run like this
Grouped until enough staff have arrived to split
Morning activites - playdough / puzzles / painting / floor toys
Morning Tea
Outside play
Sleep for younger toddlers
Group time / Story / planned activities based on observations
Lunch & sleep time for older toddlers
Quiet activites for younger children
Wake up with quiet activites
Group time / story / planned activites based on observations
Sleep time for younger toddlers
Afternoon tea
Indoor / Outdoor play
quiet activities / stories
Late snack
Home time

Some centres have more structured days and others run a bit more freely, but ALL should be warm & caring to the children at all times. they should all have planned activities and not be outside all day long, sunsmart policies state that children should be out of the sun between 11-3pm.

sad.gif

#22 Alpha_Chook

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

At Eamons daycare they have rules but are very flexible as required....eg. Eamon likes taking his favorite toy, his "puppy", they aren't meant to take personal toys but its there if he needs to cuddle it and they don't stop him.  They have "sleep time" which means quiet time really....if the kids can't sleep they don't make them lie there crying. They get a lot of outdoor play time, a lot of indoor play time both structured and free play and are always very liberal with cuddles. It takes me half an hour to leave most days as he has to give all the carers a cuddle before going home.

#23 Bluenomi

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (keepnthafaith @ 19/11/2012, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cuddles are a must! DD gets one most mornings since she likes one when I leave and her room leader is always happy to give her one. Sometimes the room leader is giving 3 or 4 kids a cuddle at a time. Small kids need attention and sometimes a cuddle is just the only thing that will do

#24 MuppetGirl

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Not normal at all. Quite appalling actually.

At my kids centre hugs are plenty, comfort toys for sleeping are a must and children are given prompt attention if upset.

#25 keepnthafaith

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

no not in front of the parents, i work there (casually) Probaly not even in front of the manager either!!

most of the girls working there that seem to be acting like this are the ones in there are about 22-26ish? with no kids.....so im kinda of guessing they would have NO idea what it would be like for a parent to have to leave their child in the care of another person.

i am mid 20s with a baby, and have also done daycare from home before i had my baby. The way i treat the kids though did not change but i have more of that instinct i guess you could say when u see a child crying i cant get there quick enough to pick them up for cuddles where the other girls seem to sigh and be annoyed about it.

Im working this week so i will be saying something if more of this happens. I love working there, only because of the children though. basically none of the girls bother to speak to me and have never ever shown me how to do anything! ughhhh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.