Posting in the sleeping section again :(

2 replies to this topic

#1 Rosepickles

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Well it has been a little while since i have posted in here for advice, when DD was younger i felt like i spent ages in here trawling the board for some magic solution. Things have been pretty good for a while, but seem to be deteriorating.

My daughter is almost 21 months. We sit with her while she goes to sleep in her cot. Up until recently my husband, mum and MIL could just be in there no patting. I had to pat, but she would eventually go to sleep after half hr or so of fiddling.

The past few weeks she is resisting her cot with me. Seems to be ok with the others. She now gets histerical when i put her in the cot and works herself up terribly. I have tried lying on the floor on a mattress with her but she just starts fiddling and gets up. I would prefer to keep her in the cot for a while longer as i cant see how i can possibly get her to stay in a bed, especially when she is ok for the other people who put her to sleep. I am concerned she may also start resisiting others in the same way. Day sleep seems to be worse but i feel like it is getting worse all round if that makes sense.

The last few days i have failed to get her to sleep, one day i ended up rocking and holding her, but today she did not even want me to do that. I took her for a walk in the pram and she crashed, but i cant do that all the time. Im worried i wont be able to get her to sleep at all!

My daughter is very "busy" and can be a bit challenging at times, gets pretty irritable and certainly knows what she wants. Just to give you insight into her temperement.

Anyone else had similar problems emerge down the track with their toddler? Any advice or tips?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Rosepickles, 19 November 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#2 BabeBlossom

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

You've almost described my DD, she's 22 months this week and at 20 months started to do very similar.
She ended up dropping her last day sleep, she may have 1 every week or so now but its either in the car all falling asleep just before dinner. Upside was she was more tired for bed time, is falling asleep in 10-20 minutes and mostly sleeping through the night.
Not very helpful I'm sure but wanted to let you know you're not alone.

#3 Guest_divineM_*

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

My DD is 20 months. I think at this age patting etc is just too much stimulation. don't know how you feel about having your DD cry a bit at bedtime? Mine has gone through a few phases recently and we found that going in for very brief reasuurance and a "it's time to sleep" message helped things greatly. You can go in quite often but make sure you stay very briefly (by that I mean 10-15 seconds). That way they know you have not abandoned them but having you come in so briefly gets very boring for them so eventually they just say "ok then, might as well sleep". At this age they can be very persistent and very loud but if you can be more persistent than them it will most likely work...in my experience anyway.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.