Do you have equal or more left handed children?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

I've heard that 10% of the population are left handed, both me and my husband are right handed, yet out of 7 children, 3 are left handed, 3 are right handed and 1 was completely ambidextrous until she started primary school, to which we were told that it was better for her to choose a hand and with their encouragement she became right handed.

Anyone know of the latest theories as to how we become left or right handed? I find it interesting that it is so prevalent among my children compared to the population average, despite not having a parent who is also.

Edited by The 7 Dwarfs, 20 November 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#2 RillyBilly

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Well, if you listen to an acquaintance of mine, women who have too many unnecessary scans during pregnancy are more likely to have a left handed baby.....hmm.

#3 somila

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

DH and I are left handed and our two children are right handed.

#4 Wahwah

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

No insight, but we seem to be having an alternate generational thing going on here:

My and his parents - all right handed
Our generation - me & bro = left, him & two sibs = left, one sib right (so 5 out of 6 are left)
Our kids and their cousins = all right

So the grandparents have been teaching the kids how to tie their shoelaces, because it's tricky doing it other handed!

#5 Mumsyto2

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (RillyBilly @ 20/11/2012, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, if you listen to an acquaintance of mine, women who have too many unnecessary scans during pregnancy are more likely to have a left handed baby.....hmm.

This was actually in some literature I was given by my u/s place many years ago when I had kids i.e. there was a chance of this being increased due to scans.

Given I had a left hander with a 'normal' number of scans (3 - dating, 11 week and 20 week) and a right hander with a lot of scans (around 15 due to birth defects being detected and constant monitoring required) I'm not sure if there is anything to it.

ETA - both parents right handed.

Edited by Mumsyto2, 20 November 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#6 Tobias'smum

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

i am the only leftie on both sides of the family out of about 50 people. DS is only 20months and uses both more right to write with but throwing etc both i will encorage both as its great - writing is the only thing i have to do left handed everything else i can use both  mostly because everyone else was right so i think i just learnt

#7 FiveAus

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Equal. I'm left handed and so are two of my four kids.

Edited by FiveAus, 20 November 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#8 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

DH is right-handed (as a baby boomer Catholic, left-handedness would have been discouraged).

Me: left handed for everything except tennis and golf and setting the table. Even though I eat like a rightie, I always set the table for a leftie - I know I am doing it but can't help myself.

DS - total rightie

DD - leftie

My mother: a rightie for everything except golf.

#9 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

My Dad is a leftie, I am ambi (was leftie but they changed me at school), dh is right handed. 2 of my 8 kids are so far lefties, I did have a large number of scans actually with the 2 that are lefties (placenta  previa & acreta), cant tell yet with my 12 month old.

#10 AnnoyingAnt

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Me and DH and DD- right handed. DS- left handed (writes with left but there are some things he does right and left handed).  My father and grandfather were also left handed (and sometimes ambidextrious too).  At least these days children are not "encouraged" (with a big stick) to become "right handed" at school like in the "good ol' days".  

Does make for fun teaching to write as teachers say things like "use a finger space between words"... try doing this as a leftie or use handwriting books where the example is on the left (and therefore covered by the writers hand). Then there's scissors and can openers... :-)

#11 *bibs*

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

3 kids, 2 are left handed.

#12 TheGreenSheep

Dad LH Mum RH

they had 2 LH 2 RH (all my siblings have also had at least 1 LH child)

DH LH Me RH

DS1 LH DS2 RH
So 50/50 in our 3 generations of my family. Growing up I didnt know how rare LH was until I went to school. Friends of ours also had a large family and they were 50/50 LH/RH like you OP. Interestingly my 2 BFFs are LH'ers. Im surrounded by them.

Oh and about scans, none were had in the generations until my children. The one who had more scans was DS2, a RH.

Im of the opinion its genetic.

#13 PrincessPeach

My mum is left handed & my dad is right handed...my brother is a lefty & although i write with my right hand, i play all sport left handed.

As for my cousins, we've got 2 lefties & 2 righties - so it's an even split.

DH is right handed, so it will be interesting to see what our potential kids turn out to be.

#14 Therese

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

I am left handed and our youngest daughter is left handed. My husband and our oldest daughter are right handed.

My Dad was left handed but was whacked over the hand while at school so he is now right handed.

#15 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (LeSm @ 20/11/2012, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least these days children are not "encouraged" (with a big stick) to become "right handed" at school like in the "good ol' days".  

Does make for fun teaching to write as teachers say things like "use a finger space between words"... try doing this as a leftie or use handwriting books where the example is on the left (and therefore covered by the writers hand). Then there's scissors and can openers... :-)

When I was in primary school in the 1960s we lefties weren't discouraged from being lefties but we all had to sit together (desks were across the room in a line) so we wouldn't be bumping elbows with the righties. I used to write with the book at right angles to the desk so I could see what I was writing.

#16 mychubbybubbies

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Both DH and I are right handed and we have 2 right handed children and one left handed.

My left handed child started writing when she was 2 and still does some of her numbers back the front and she is almost 6.

#17 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (LeSm @ 20/11/2012, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least these days children are not "encouraged" (with a big stick) to become "right handed" at school like in the "good ol' days".  

When I was in primary school in the 1960s we lefties weren't discouraged from being lefties but we all had to sit together (desks were across the room in a line) so we wouldn't be bumping elbows with the righties. I used to write with the book at right angles to the desk so I could see what I was writing.

#18 Farmgal

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

My DH and I are RH.
My identical twin boys are both left handed.

#19 AnnoyingAnt

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

That sounds like fun.  original.gif  My dad went to school in the 40s/50s- in this era they actually hit kids for writing with their left.

#20 somila

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Oh, and my brothers are twins - one left handed, one right handed.  We think they may be "mirror" twins.

#21 TarneeW

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

DH & I are both left handed.  DS1 & 2 are also LH. DD is the only right handed one. Will be interesting to see what the next one is....

#22 jules095

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Would the 3 lefties include your twins 7D?

According to the AMBA, about 35% of twins are left-handed, which is double the rate of the general population.

#23 Feral_Mumma

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Wahwah @ 20/11/2012, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No insight, but we seem to be having an alternate generational thing going on here:

Ditto.

My dad is RH and mum LH

Brother and I both RH

DS is RH DD appears so far to be LH

I am very happy they don't try to force them to write RH anymore, my mum can write RH well enough but whenever no one was looking LH all the way lol

#24 *BluePinkie*

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Me: right handed.
DH: left handed.

Both kids: left handed.

All my family are right handed except my Uncle who is ambidextrous. DH's father and Grandmother are left handed.

#25 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Would the 3 lefties include your twins 7D?

According to the AMBA, about
35% of twins are left-handed, which is double the rate of the general
population.

One twin is left handed, the other right handed. I have heard that is more common for twins, despite whether or not they are identical. My youngest daughter and son are the other 2 lefties.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.