Am I the only one...

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Domestic Goddess

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

who hates folding up 2 baskets of washing that are 80% filled with clothes of a toddler, 10% clothes of mine and 10% linen?
All those little shirts and pants are doing my head in lol. Ahhhhh the virtues of being a mum.....

#2 imamumto3

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

I was only looking at my piles yesterday.  my dds go through so many clothes, their piles are triple the size of mine and dhs and double the size do ds

#3 MintyBiscuit

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

I do very rough folding when it comes to DS's clothes. The way I figure he's crawling around anyway . . .

#4 bikingbubs

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

i just dont bother folding them original.gif

#5 mrsboof

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

I dont fold either ......

Everything juest gets chucked in her drawer as is. DD loves to 'help' putting away clothes, and so they get messed up anyway. And then there are the times where she pulls everything out of her drawers..

She has no clothes that really crease all that much, so I dont really see the point.

#6 JustMum08

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

I live with 2 other people. All my washing is towels!
DS splashes so much in the bath. Water goes everywhere! So forever going through towels/bath mats.
And those little clothes! So annoying. They breed....

#7 Allymeg69

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

No OP you're not the only one! DS can go through up to 3 changes of clothes at day-care, so his pile is always gi-normous. The step-kids seem to have made an art out of multiple outfit wearing as well. DH and I regularly go on folding strikes now and get the kids to do it, although that can be almost as painful, 8yr old DSS can take HOURS to fold a little pile, but it is one of the few jobs we can reasonably get him to do

#8 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Folding washing?
You mean roll in to balls and throw in the drawers and cupboards right?

#9 witchesforest

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

what is this 'fold' of which you speak?

#10 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

i hate folding with a passion. i dont care whose clothing it is LOL
i dont fold ethans anymore, i just chuck it in his draws

#11 soapy

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Doing the laundry is the only house work I don't mind doing! I love the excuse of folding small clothes with a cup on tea in front of the TV.  Great break!

#12 WYSIWYG

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

I'd hate it too, that's why I don't let it build up. Fold it as you take it off the line or out the dryer.

#13 antigen

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Am I the only one who is confused as to why so many people have baskets/piles of laundry to fold?
I fold everything as I take it off the washing line/clothes horse so it goes into the basket folded, ready to be put straight into drawers. I've always done it this way so I really don't understand this step in the process, can someone explain it to me? Am I just a bit OCD in my laundry technique?

#14 CallMeFeral

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

F yeah. Small clothes are so much more hassle than large ones. And so many more of them go in a load, so the time to hang out is like triple! I've started using the dryer unreasonably often since DS started toilet training - GAZILLIONS of tiny undies in each wash...

#15 CallMeFeral

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (antigen @ 20/11/2012, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I the only one who is confused as to why so many people have baskets/piles of laundry to fold?
I fold everything as I take it off the washing line/clothes horse so it goes into the basket folded, ready to be put straight into drawers.

I'm confused as to how anyone has time to fold as they take off the laundry line... it's the same time required as to fold any other time BUT it's in the prime part of day i.e. when it's still bright and the kids are awake and demanding stuff...

ETA. Further question - how do you fit that many different clothing piles into one basket? Or do you not sort as your fold?

Edited by CallMeAliG, 20 November 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#16 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

This is how I do it:

Step one: throw it into washing machine in one big heap ( I *may* separate whites if I am feeling virtuous)
Step two: throw it into dryer in one big heap
Step three: take out of dryer and throw into drawer in one big heap

Repeat as necessary.

#17 miinii

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

i HATE folding clothes! I get excited when i have a load of towels to fold. Its much more fun lol

#18 antigen

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 20/11/2012, 02:17 PM)
15094083[/url]']
I'm confused as to how anyone has time to fold as they take off the laundry line... it's the same time required as to fold any other time BUT it's in the prime part of day i.e. when it's still bright and the kids are awake and demanding stuff...

ETA. Further question - how do you fit that many different clothing piles into one basket? Or do you not sort as your fold?

I enjoy the folding and sorting as I take it off the line, it's quite relaxing! Usually DD is playing beside me in the garden while I do it or she's indoors with DH. If I don't have time to do it before dinner I do it when DD has gone to bed.
I only have one child so I don't have as much laundry to do as others and I generally only do one load every day or two so I guess I have it pretty easy.
I usually do DD's laundry separate to ours so sorting into piles isn't really an issue, though I try to hang it in drawer order so it's easier (eek... Is that too OCD?).

#19 Mrs Lost Wanderer

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (antigen @ 20/11/2012, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I fold everything as I take it off the washing line/clothes horse so it goes into the basket folded, ready to be put straight into drawers. I've always done it this way so I really don't understand this step in the process, can someone explain it to me? Am I just a bit OCD in my laundry technique?

I must be OCD about it too. I fold as I take it off the line and I take out 6 plastic washing baskets that are all different colours. I like having 6 because then there is one for each person, one for the linen cupboard and one for towels to go back to the ensuite. So everything is folded and sorted in one go. The very thought of folding a mountain or washing literally makes me want to cry.

DD1 who is 2 years old, loves "helping" with anything I do so I hand things to her and tell her which colour basket to put it into.

I'm OCD about making sure the dishwasher is always done too. I can't stand dirty clothes or dirty dishes hanging around the house.

#20 mini mac

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (RunawayPrincess @ 20/11/2012, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd hate it too, that's why I don't let it build up. Fold it as you take it off the line or out the dryer.

Agree with this

#21 kittennic

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

I fold as I take off the line too, and I often take out several washing baskets so I can sort and fold. If only one is convenient, I remove clothes from the line in drawer piles so they're mostly sorted in the basket (but may have a pile of trousers on top of a pile of t-shirt). And yes I do find it mildly annoying that so few clothes are actually mine and yet I'm doing it all. But I guess that's life until the kids are slightly older.

#22 ~shannon~

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 20/11/2012, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My thoughts too... I have way too many piles that would not fit into one basket. Nappies, tea towels, undies of all sizes, shorts/shirts/skirts of all sizes, and absolutely masses of socks.

And then..... I read jacqg's post - 6 coloured baskets! My kids would think the backyard had turned into a playground!

#23 luckycakes

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Bahahah - I just ran to tell my DH about this thread. Just so he knows I'm not the only one who has an aversion to doing the folding. I currently have at least 5 baskets worth to do..... It's a long running "joke"of sorts around here. One day DH even found me slumped, half asleep, over the pile of baskets in the corner of the bedroom. He jokes he'll have to send a rescue dog in to dig me out one day original.gif

#24 WYSIWYG

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Well I can usually fit a load on the clothes horse, so I'll peg the clothes as I take them out the machine onto the clothes horse, take it outside, wait for washing to dry, take clothes horse in, unpeg and fold, placing the clothes on the laundry bench in the relevant piles. Don't even need a basket laugh.gif

Edited by RunawayPrincess, 20 November 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#25 Soontobegran

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Folded clothes fit into drawers better, you non folders must have much more storage than me original.gif

I fold the day's washing every single night when it is dry, it doesn't build up and it isn't a chore. It can be done sitting for half an hour having a cuppa and watching TV....easy peasy.
When I had all my children at home I made 7 piles and from the moment they were old enough they picked up their pile and put them away.
The ironing...YES, I iron gets done every night once everyone was/is in bed.
Some people call it OTT but I can't live in a crumpled world. original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.