Backup from external hard drive
Mac related

4 replies to this topic

#1 Coffeegirl

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi All,

I need some help.  We received a letter from Apple saying the hard drive in our iMac needs to be replaced.

Before they do this, I have to backup everything on an external drive for safe keeping.   So I've gone out and purchased a Seagate hard drive and I did a full back up last night - Took almost 5 hours!  It looks like everything is there as the amount of data copied onto the drive matches what is on the iMac (give or take a few MB)

Apple say I need to have the original operating platform discs to reload onto the repaired iMac.  But we have upgraded this at least 3 times since we bought it.   OSX - Tiger - Panther - Mountain Lion  (may have the wrong order of the cats here original.gif )

So my question is this.   When I restore the repaired iMac from my back up - will it copy over the operating platform that I was currently using as well?  

Or do I need to load the original - then load the updated versions?  

From memory it took me about 2 hours to load each one so I'm not keen to spend 6 hours getting my mac into a usable position before I then have to wait another 5 hours to restore from the back up.

#2 Feraldadathome

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Sounds like a bit of an odd request re. the OS - I would have thought that, if you have evidence of the Mountain Lion upgrade (which was via the app store only), they should either load it onto the replacement HDD or offer it to you on a memory stick for loading?

#3 Coffeegirl

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

I thought so too sad.gif   Considering our mac is almost 2 years old, you would have thought they would do this or at least check what OS you were on before they replace the hard drive and re-load that one.

Here's a quote from the letter  

Additional Information
You will need to have the original OS installation discs that were shipped with your product in order to re-install your operating system, other applications and any backed up data after your hard drive is replaced.

If you believe you have paid for a repair or replacement due to this issue, contact Apple regarding a refund.

This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the iMac.

The program covers affected iMacs for three years after the first retail sale of the unit or until April 12, 2013, whichever provides longer coverage for you. Apple will continue to evaluate service data and will provide further updates to this program as needed.

So if I just replace with the full back up - will that include the OS?

#4 Feraldadathome

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

I dno't know that the backup would have also done the operating system, just your files and any files supporting the OS, if that makes sense.

I'd be pushing the point about Mountain Lion. If your machine is less than 3 years old, the OS would have been Snow Leopard, Lion and now Mountain Lion.

i'd be arguing they should load ML, or at least give you a copy of ML to load, given that the upgrade was via download only. You could log onto your app store account via itunes on any machine and access your account history if you don't have access to the receipt email for your Mountain Lion purchase?

#5 Coffeegirl

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Spoke to local Apple store.   Less than helpful  mad.gif   They need the mac for 4-5 days to repair it.   Plus they are a good 1/2hour to 45 minutes away with crap parking.  

Then tried local authorised guy and he was great!   Walked me through everything and will be re-loading ML back on for me.   tthumbs.gif Then I just restore from the back up.   The local guy is 10 minutes away with parking out front!  

Oh he said it would be 3 days max, depending on how long it takes to get drive from Apple.  He can't preorder until he actually has my mac in store (Apple rules). He said the actual installation takes about an hou 1/2. But the parts take 1-2 days from Apple  rolleyes.gif   So why it would take twice as long at the store I have no idea!!  

Local guy wins and I support local business. Win. Win.

PS. Thanks for the help dadathome!

Edited by Coffeegirl, 20 November 2012 - 03:35 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.