Car seat for DD turning 4...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeProtart

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Ok so I kind of need a refresher on the general principles of car seat safety. DD is turning 4 and getting to eye-level-equal-to-top-of-carseat situation, so it's time to get some new seats. However DS is 3 and it would be handy to get one which he could use too, if necessary.

So a general question - even though I know she CAN go in a booster with normal seatbelt once she's 4, is 5 point harness still safer? Should I keep her in 5 point for as long as I can, or is there a point at which a normal seatbelt becomes better? She's finally learned to do up her own 5 point, so it would be more convenient than a car seat anyway... but are there negatives?
I was thinking of getting something like what she's already in, which was a 5 point convertible to booster (infa trek 8) - this means DS could use it as well. But does this mean I'm taking a few steps down on the safety ratings scale, because the top brands in booster safety are not the same as the top brands in normal forward facing?

I dunno. Thought I had the hang of this for pre 4yo's, but now I'm mystified again. Thanks for any help!

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

My 114cm 5.5 yo is in the new Sns Compaq. His 117cm brother still fits under the height markers too.

Other seat to look at is the new maxi rider T&A. It seems to have better seatbelt guide.

No 2010 standard car seats have been cREP tested.

#3 ednaboo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 20/11/2012, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So a general question - even though I know she CAN go in a booster with normal seatbelt once she's 4, is 5 point harness still safer? Should I keep her in 5 point for as long as I can, or is there a point at which a normal seatbelt becomes better? She's finally learned to do up her own 5 point, so it would be more convenient than a car seat anyway... but are there negatives?

Yes, a restraint with builtin harness is safer than a booster, providing of course that the child fits.  Most kids can fit in a harnessed deat beyond 4yo, so providing your 4yo still fits in a new harnessed seat, then that is what I would do.

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 20/11/2012, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of getting something like what she's already in, which was a 5 point convertible to booster (infa trek 8) - this means DS could use it as well. But does this mean I'm taking a few steps down on the safety ratings scale, because the top brands in booster safety are not the same as the top brands in normal forward facing?

The Trek 8 is a convertible booster - that is one option, but yes the last CREP found that convertible boosters tended to perform well as a FF seat but not as a booster.  Most people don't like using them as a booster, so tend to get a dedicated booster at that stage.

It kind of depends on what you want to spend - as the PP said a Compaq would do ($375) or you could look for one of the other versions with the same shell such as the Lifestyle, or the Guardian etc which have the same shell but a simpler base.  The height markers will be the same as the Compaq.  The new Maxirider T & A is pretty $$, but I imagine it will retain value second hand so could be sold afterwards if you wish.

#4 CallMeProtart

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

Thanks folks!

We ended up getting some more trek 8s (racing kid this one was called). There weren't any of the convertible boosters that got 4 stars, and only one (babylove ezycombo) that had 4 stars in FF mode, this one was a 3 star as booster and 3 star as FF so we figured it would do (could not find the babylove).

Kind of weird though, as the racing kid is listed as an alternate name for the Comfi Cruiser which is rated quite highly FF, but also the alternate name for the trek 8, which got ONE star in the same test. It made no sense at all...

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

CREP test results are out of date. They have not tested any of the 2010standard seats so we do not know how they test.

The seats like the Compaq are very different to their CREP tested 2004 standard seats which were tested.

If you got a Racing Kids with height markers all should be OK. It was the seatbelt path on the original trek 8 which caused problems.

#6 CallMeProtart

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Ah cool. Yep it did say something about new seatbelt path so hopefully that's all good.

Can't believe they are being so slow with the testing though - what's the point???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.